graphics bricked?

Jefke

Well lately when I'm gaming, I always end up raging because a bluescreen (different errors:atikmdag.sys, dx...sys, minidumps see attachments)...

First I thought np, can happen...

Then I kept blue screening, so I thought mmm... what did I change, only thing I could think of was my graphics driver (installed 12.3, amd driver). So I rolledback to previous version... Still bluescreens.

So I made a complete clean install with drivers on which system ran stable for a year, guess what : still blue screening.

So my actually question is: 'is there a way to test your graphics, now pc seems very unstable'

If I'm sure that it is my graphics I can send it RMA (bricked another one last week on which I didn't had warranty anymore, so I can efford a new one atm)

specs:

-cpu: amd phenom II x6 @ 3.2gHz (stock, it has been overclocked to 3.6-3.8 gHz)

-mobo: Asus crosshair V formula with latest bios

-RAM: 16gb G skill ripjawsX @1666mHz

-Gpu: sapphire hd radeon 6850 toxic (it has a factory overclock, maybe I should try to remove that)

-PSU: coolermaster SilentproM 1000W

-HDD: samsung spinpoint F3 1TB

Edited by DrJoske

Been getting these same BSOD as well, one just happened right now and reminded me of your post just now. it always happens when I am using my browser Google Chrome, but not when gaming or anything else, I am updating the drivers now to see how it goes. I am using an integrated HD Radeon 4250, will post if I find a solution.

Or you can also use MSI Kombuster to check the graphics card. And MSI Afterburner to overclock/underclock the graphics card.

Or you can also use MSI Kombuster to check the graphics card. And MSI Afterburner to overclock/underclock the graphics card.

I'm a fan of Afterburner. I use it to increase the voltage going to my card, my overclock, and custom fan profile to insure my card does not get too hot.

Just to be safe, which settings (furmark or kombuster) do I general have to use/ for how long and which temp should be safe

Don't want it to totally brick ^^

Just to be safe, which settings (furmark or kombuster) do I general have to use/ for how long and which temp should be safe

Don't want it to totally brick ^^

You want to run the kombuster for 10 min to see if it will crash and to find any artifacts. But to really check the GPU, run it for 2 hours.

Start being worries if it goes higher than 90 degrees. C

It should be around 30 - 45ish normal and 60 - 80ish for heavy loads? Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Edited by ajnl

I'd set your fan to come on at 100% at 80C. 80C is pretty much the max I like seeing on my equipment. 90C for a little bit should not harm your components, but I would not have it running that hot on a normal basis. If your card maxes at 60-70C and should be in good shape. You may need to replace the thermal paste on your graphics card if you are finding your temperatures to be too high and you cannot significantly reduce them with a fan. I've also set a secondary fan in my case pointing at the GPU before I had a case fan blowing directly on it.

I believe my card idles around 50C which is pretty normal for a 570GTX.

Edited by TulsaGeoff

K

It idles around 56C (found some reviews stating the same, so think it's pretty normal), when I ran the stability test it went up to 83c-84c and stabilized then.

Maybe a bit high, but nothing of that did my pc crash, think I will need to search for another cause.

Anyway ty for the help

Edited by DrJoske

This could also be dying memory. Burn Memtest to a cd and run a couple passes of it to verify your memory is stable. http://www.memtest.org/

If it is not your graphics card or your memory. It could possibly be a dying harddrive or simply your Windows needs to be reinstalled.

Edited by TulsaGeoff

You could also test your RAM by removing on card at a time and seeing if that makes a difference.

if his ram passes through memtest then there is no need to do this. If the sticks fail, I believe it will tell you which one and you can remove that stick and retest.

if his ram passes through memtest then there is no need to do this. If the sticks fail, I believe it will tell you which one and you can remove that stick and retest.

oh awesome, didn't know it actually told you which one failed too.