ET: No XreaL on 5th Nov - Problems with NVidia

Fearless News

ImageWith a great feeling of loss, I have to report on a very tragic accident. on 25 October 2011, something happened to us that non of us could have prepared for. NVidia launched it latest drivers. So no worries, nobodies dead, but the renderer is on its ars!

5th November 2011... forget it, we're not going to make that! First, it was just a single error on a single system, but now we discovered its a fundamental problem and we have to delay the release. I hope you understand that we, bedroom hobbyist, do not have the power to fix this issue in 2 days.

So please, forgive us for blowing the trumpet before everything was good to go. We want to provide good support and technology from the moment the product is available, and we do not want "the Rage Experience".

ImageMit einem sehr schlechtem Gefühl muß ich leider Berichten, das ein tragisches Unglück passiert ist. Am 25. Oktober 2011 geschah etwas bei uns, auf das wir nicht vorbereitet waren. NVidia veröffentlichte den neusten Treiber. Ok, soweit keine Probleme aber das Rendering ist der Kernpunkt und genau das Funktioniert nicht mehr richtig!

Zuerst war es nur ein einzelner Fehler auf einem einzigen System aber später entdeckten wir, das es ein Fundamentelles Problem gibt und wir deswegen die Freigabe vom Xreal verschieben müssen.

Ich hoffe ihr versteht das, dass wir diesen Fehler nicht in 2 Tagen bereinigen können. Verzeit uns bitte, das wir zu früh Versprochen haben, was wir jetzt nicht halten können. Wir wollen schliesslich eine gute Technologie und einen guten Support bereitstellen und keinen Murks anbieten.

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

2 bad, anyway I had tried to compile it some time ago, and I wasn't really impressed... maps took ages to load, and I got less than 10fps improvement (with all new effects *off*, of course... no need to say). When it's finished I'll try to compile it on 64bit Linux to see if there is really a noticeable speed increase or not, but I'm skeptical.

I mean, multicore support or bug fixes would be more than welcome, but who really needs to get 10fps while playing? Isn't et already laggy as it is now, especially (actually only...) in servers with many slots?

Players make configs to play with as less detail as possible, to aim smoothly and see enemies better, and they try to ape those new games where it's all graphics and no skill...

They should have put their talent into other things, like improving hit detection, lag, etc. that is those things players really care for.

I respect their skill as programmers, and I thank them for their time, but will this save et? imho not.

Because new generations like easy games with amazing graphics, where you can frag everyone even if u suck ballz, hardcore gamers (or wannabe hc gamers :D) like (difficult) games with a nice gameplay, and they don't care about gfx (almost) at all. They won't all download et again because of graphics alone.

They should have put their talent into other things, like improving hit detection, lag, etc. that is those things players really care for.

You are absolutely right, but you can't tell a Photoshopper to do some programming.. (just an example of course)

If this is what they're good at, then this is the right way to show their skills imo :)

• Clan Friend

You are absolutely right, but you can't tell a Photoshopper to do some programming.. (just an example of course)

If this is what they're good at, then this is the right way to show their skills imo :)

Well, I just meant that they shouldn't spend too much time and effort doing nice effects if they will hurt the performance, since players would just turn them off, they did some optimizations already and I appreciated Linux sound support 'out of the box', but I think they should have different priorities, that's all.

For hit detection it's actually a mod issue, game engine hasn't much to do with it, so unless they make another mod they can't change it, but they could do other optimizations in the network code for example, or work on the visibility of entities to save bandwidth for clients and block wallhacks... etc. etc.

The version I tried was still beta, so I hope they have fixed some stuff meanwhile...