Mouse DPI

G!NG3R420

Wo when looking for a mouse, obviously DPI in taken into account for the mouse to be considered "good". My question is what is a good DPI to be looking for in a mouse that we know will be worth the money we spend? I've seen some with 800 and some with 5700. I'm guessing higher DPI better the mouse?

Psss you didnt awnser my question :lol

the DPI have not realy what to say !!! i play with 1200-1600 by 1.0 mousesensitivity with my old laser mouse i played with 3200 DPI and 0.8 mousesensitivity in ET :P you must have a good feeling in your hand with your mouse ;)

my tip: if you buy a new mouse go in shop and take them in your hand

3500 dpi with 2.00 sens

i think this setting makes it pretty hard to aim

you don't need to buy a mouse with DPI up to 5000 plus. i have a G500 with DPI up to 5700 & I rarely use high DPI setting. I only use 1800-2000 DPI with 1.0 mouse sensitivity coz this setting, for me, makes it easier to aim.

I'm guessing higher DPI better the mouse?

not necessarily. it will still depend on you hand control & aiming imho

• Clan Friend

Wo when looking for a mouse, obviously DPI in taken into account for the mouse to be considered "good". My question is what is a good DPI to be looking for in a mouse that we know will be worth the money we spend? I've seen some with 800 and some with 5700. I'm guessing higher DPI better the mouse?

dpi is not important. what is important in a mouse (imho) is:

- ergonomics (weight, shape, number and position of buttons, friction on your mousepad etc. )

- how good is the mouse in reproducing your hand movement on the screen regardless of how fast you move (no skipping, no acceleration)

since it doesn't make sense to aim at 1/100th of a pixel, beyond a certain dpi value you will have no advantage in having more dpi

I'm guessing right now I have about 500-800 dpi with 3.0 sens and my long distance kills are hard to get since I cant really get the target =/

Then it means you have a sens which is too high for you, lower it and play with a lower one. You know, you can have any value, you are not limited to integers. Getting more dpi won't help you with that.

You say you have 'about' 500-800 dpi, well there is a way to see how many dpi you are using (it works only if you don't use accel):

make a 360 turn in ET and check how many inches you move on the table (1 inch = 2.54 cm, so if you measure in cm divide by 2.54)

do 360 / your sens * m_yaw

(m_yaw is generally forced to 0.022) so:

16363.64 / your sens

take this value, and divide it by the movement on the table in inches to get the dpi.

in my case:

I need 8.66 inches for a 360

I have 0.9 sens

(fixed value)   my sens
16363.64	 /   0.9   = 18181.8

result from above   how much I need for a 360
18181.8		  /	  8.66 inches			= 2099 dpi

which is more or less correct (my mouse has 2000 dpi)

p.s.

For those who say 'it doesn't work! my mouse has 9999999 dpi and I get less!' I say: silly, if you reduce your windows sens you are de facto reducing your dpi, as it has been said over and over.

How is less DPI better for et?

Because high dpi on windows gives you the so-called 'negative acceleration', which is bad.

Do this test: aim at a corner, then move your mouse away as fast as you can on the table. Return it *slowly* to the same spot (on the table, not on the screen).

Are you aiming at the same corner?

If yes, then you have no acceleration (good).

If you don't reach it then you have positive acceleration (slow movement is less than fast movement)

If you get past it then you have 'negative acceleration' (I know it's not an acceleration but they call it like this)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

A mouse with too many DPI is not much, I have personally tested I bought a mouse with 3200DPI resolution 1280x720 and using the mouse sensitivity in play even 1 is 0.70 for instance.

Many IPRs are for those who have a very high resolution or if I'm not mistaken a monitor / tv great example 32/40 inches if not more.