Opinion?

vke

So ive been looking into a few cars to buy

2009 STi

2010 Evo

2010 Mazdaspeed 6

Does anyone have any feedback? ive been asking all my friends and they say i should just buy a jeep or a diesel :(

hmm its a nismo, it rotates itself, and it looks like the mars rover... Me Likey :P

hmm its a nismo, it rotates itself, and it looks like the mars rover... Me Likey :P

Tis pretty intense, but evidently the image I posted of it is from the older concept, here's the new one:

Exterior view:

nissan_pivo_2.jpg

Interiors:

Nissan_Pivo_2_concept_car_interior.jpg

Exterior view with opened door:

Nissan_Pivo_2_in1.jpg

And some info about it. Because, That's How I Roll.

Pivo 2

An updated version of the concept, designated Pivo 2 was unveiled in 2007. The wheels have been moved to rotating pods that allow the car to drive in any direction. Along with the rotating cabin, this allows the car to pull up next to a parking space, and instead of conventional parallel parking, the wheels and cab simply rotate 90°, and the car drives in sideways

B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
So ive been looking into a few cars to buy

2009 STi

2010 Evo

2010 Mazdaspeed 6

Does anyone have any feedback? ive been asking all my friends and they say i should just buy a jeep or a diesel :(

Are you looking for truck 4wd reliability? or are you looking into saving some bucks in the long run?

Here's some tidbits that could help you in your decision. I drive a 2006 Subaru WRX, and most of my friends later picked up the STi for it is the top of the line model, however they don't really take it to the track, but mod it for overall top end power. It depends I suppose, because I can't complain with a 2.5 liter turbo motor getting 28 mpg, and being as clean as a honda with LEV2 emissions. I should also point out that to insure an STI depending on your age could cost quite a bit of money, however WRXs especially mine is incredibly affordable to insure. It probably helps that Subaru under rated the torque and HP output of the motor so that insurances see the STI as the top of the line motorsport car. The powerband of the WRX is great, with good early spool characteristics which is very useful for daily driving. I had a Jeep YJ 1995 model for a while too, and I can't complain either because Jeeps are just great to modify, and parts are a plenty. Same goes with Subaru, it's the Honda of AWD.

But when it comes to AWD, nothing can beat the Subaru's symmetrical AWD from any model including automatics. Being a WRX, some of my buddies were surprised with all the goodies it came with stock, such as STI spec C aluminum control arms (available only 2006 sedans for it was the 15 year anniversary of Impreza), beefier EJ25-5 motor which is a detuned sti motor essentially, and the revised transmission which is essentially an STi pull-type transmission but 5 speed. Some say it should a 6 speed, but with 4th and 5th gear already as overdrive gears, it compensates well. When it rains, other drivers must slow down, but not me, I just drive like it is still dry with no issues turning or braking or accelerating in the wetness. So if you're looking into a sedan car that is reliable in all conditions, I suggest getting a Subaru, even an older one because like 4wd, this AWD is just predictable, safe, and it defeats the competition sedan v sedan. If you're looking into a truck style chassis, I would suggest a Jeep. Although I might be biased since I had one, Jeep was my favorite American brand of ruggedness, YJs and Cherokees.

Also, check out some of the Saab models such as the 9-2X, which is essentially a Subaru rebadged as SAAB. They are nick named Saabarus, for they are still made in Japan by Fuji Heavy Industries, and every part is interchangeable whether it be the engine, tranmission, control arms, seats, dashboard, just about everything.

I have an 03' WRX hatch, and i love it. I bought the COBB AP ECU kit, and with the COBB intake i get around 35 mpg depending on which settings i use. I love the WRX, because it its amazing in the snow/rain (i live in Utah), its super cheap to insure, and i can easily mod it myself. I'm only looking at the new cars because im approaching 200k miles, and i have to replace a lot of stuff, and buying a new care is gonna be cheaper in the long run. Ive looked at Jeeps, but my buddy just bought one, and I'm shocked at the quality of it. It's a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, and with a MSRP of around $45,000, i really expected more. The Saab's are nice, but they don't have the edgy qualities that the Mazda, STi, Evo, or the WRX have, and since I'm a young laddie, i don't want a luxury car just yet.

Dang. After all this typing I realized i love the WRX more than any other car I've driven. I think I just might have to upgrade to a newer year.

• Administrators
I have an 03' WRX hatch, and i love it. I bought the COBB AP ECU kit, and with the COBB intake i get around 35 mpg depending on which settings i use. I love the WRX, because it its amazing in the snow/rain (i live in Utah), its super cheap to insure, and i can easily mod it myself. I'm only looking at the new cars because im approaching 200k miles, and i have to replace a lot of stuff, and buying a new care is gonna be cheaper in the long run. Ive looked at Jeeps, but my buddy just bought one, and I'm shocked at the quality of it. It's a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, and with a MSRP of around $45,000, i really expected more. The Saab's are nice, but they don't have the edgy qualities that the Mazda, STi, Evo, or the WRX have, and since I'm a young laddie, i don't want a luxury car just yet.

Dang. After all this typing I realized i love the WRX more than any other car I've driven. I think I just might have to upgrade to a newer year.

Ahhh! A fellow GD chassis owner. I have driven the new WRX at the dealership this one time I was at their parts department, but the 08+ models are actually legacy chassis, which I find comfortable but not exactly edgy. Just feels a bit boatish in my opinion. I suggest you keep your WRX, and do a motor swap pulling that EJ20 out and finding a EJ25 and the corresponding transmission. If you really like the 2.0 liter, you could just get a EJ20 Sti motor from japan for a couple grand, and have some fun with that. From what I can tell, GC owners prefer their chassis to the heavier GD chassis, and most GD guys prefer their chassis to the newer ones. Whichever your decision, just remember, nothing can beat that flat four cylinder in terms of harmonic balance, delivery of power, and unison of torque. Just remember Porsche had the right idea with the flat motor on VW bugs, just that the Subaru ones are turbocharged. :)

Ahhh! A fellow GD chassis owner. I have driven the new WRX at the dealership this one time I was at their parts department, but the 08+ models are actually legacy chassis, which I find comfortable but not exactly edgy. Just feels a bit boatish in my opinion. I suggest you keep your WRX, and do a motor swap pulling that EJ20 out and finding a EJ25 and the corresponding transmission. If you really like the 2.0 liter, you could just get a EJ20 Sti motor from japan for a couple grand, and have some fun with that. From what I can tell, GC owners prefer their chassis to the heavier GD chassis, and most GD guys prefer their chassis to the newer ones. Whichever your decision, just remember, nothing can beat that flat four cylinder in terms of harmonic balance, delivery of power, and unison of torque. Just remember Porsche had the right idea with the flat motor on VW bugs, just that the Subaru ones are turbocharged. :)

Yeah the new WRX kinda handles like a three legged cow to me, and I wasn't a fan of the non-Momo wheel. I was at the pull-a-part today buying a water pump for my friends Sentra, and i saw a 2007 STi all messed up, I'm gonna look into pulling the engine and tranny out.

• Administrators

Yeah the new WRX kinda handles like a three legged cow to me, and I wasn't a fan of the non-Momo wheel. I was at the pull-a-part today buying a water pump for my friends Sentra, and i saw a 2007 STi all messed up, I'm gonna look into pulling the engine and tranny out.

If you do, don't forget that you'll need to grab the Sti accelerator pedal as well and the respective pedal harness going to the ECU. Since the EJ25 is drive by wire, without the pedal, you might have more complications adapting your ECU and cable activated throttle body to the motor, so most swappers recommend grabbing the accelerator pedal/ ECU /pedal harness for a smooth swap.

Yikes. 2.5 grand for just the motor :/ pedal and harness are another 175 :/ looks like I'll drive till it dies

Interesting convo. I'm wondering what made you guys decide on the Subu's anyway? Also what do you think of their reliability now days compared to the older style 2.5RS. I noticed Valkyrie that your in Utah. Are you using your Subu off road or just to combat the winter driving conditions (which if living in Idaho taught me anything, it's that Subaru's are about the only car to drive in the northwest).

While I haven't driven any of the newer Subarus, I have driving my fair share of jeeps and F250-350 diesels 4x4s in bad conditions. I'll second Rainier's opinion about Jeeps. I've driven a CJ7 and a Grand Cherokee in near whiteout conditions with 8 inches of snow on the ground near Lake Tahoe and barely felt the need to slow down. I was amazed at how well it hooked up compared to my old Ford Ranger or Toy Pickup....of the two the Toyota was a nightmare in the snow.

My biggest problem with Jeeps is the reliability of them. It sounds like your pretty mechanically inclined, but of the Jeeps I've delt with they tend to be a pain in the ass to fix when something breaks on them. If your garage is setup right..it isn't a big deal except for the labor time. Keep us posted on w/e your decision is.

Well initially i only bought the subie cuz of the turbo. I got a pretty sweet deal, $8500 for an 03, it was original adult owner, bone stock, and came with another set of wheels, black 17" BBS rims with blizzaks. Since then i have put another $4000 into it, all new belts, fuel pump, brake lines, lowering springs, strut bars, intake, new catless up-pipe and down-pipe, new clutch, and a cobb ap ecu reflashe, 2 12" kenwood subs, a 1200 watt amp, a capacitator, stereo deck and 4 new speakers.

Its an absolute dream offroad and in the snow. I was driving down a canyon, completly covered in snow, i didnt slide an inch, and i was seeing cars driving into rivers and the rock walls.

As far as reliability, I havent had too many unexpected problems. I did alot of research before i bought, and i printed out a list of maintence essentials and made it a to-do list. The stuff that did die, it was pretty expensive (ac, power-steering). Are you talking about the Impreza 2.5rs? if so, my neighbor had one, and apparently it was quite the reliable machine, i believe he had 220000 mile on it before he got in a wreck.