Heads up to At*T internet users

illusion

Yeah.. if i had AT&T i'd drop it without a doubt. Not sure if im allowed to say some things i use the internet for so i won't.. But lets just say id almost double this stupid limit... Its horrible for gamers or anybody who frequently watches HD streams, or downloads stuff, or video calls. I fall into all of those, as im sure some of you do, but luckily i don't have AT&shit.

Hrm...I heard something about this months ago, but wasn't sure if it would come to pass. I guess that explains why when I called and requested to dump my TV service from them, they dropped my bill $10/mo and doubled my broadband speed.

Seems to me that anyone watching Netflix with any regularity and gaming online would bust that 250GB cap fairly quickly. Guess it's time to check out xfinity.

I recently attended a conference regarding bandwidth and how the current use will outstrip supply in a few years. The basic premise is that the aging infrastructure (in terms of the US) was not equipped to handle ‘unlimited’ use. The telcos don’t want to upgrade because of the costs and trying to work with all the different municipalities is not worth it- people would complain about tearing up roads and some of the lines cross properties which creates a bureaucratic nightmare. There was a discussion about some places in Australia that sped up the process because the cities tore up the roads and told the telcos to drop the fiber and fix, a compromise. But here in the US it is difficult to find a city that isn’t in some budget crisis and would be willing to go through the necessary steps unless the residents demand it.

One person who is a physicist and private equity founder stood up and yelled at them that they were wrong for a variety of reasons one of which related to technology which can expand bandwidth. The panel basically said their premise was based on reality and not theory.

So what was the solution? Economics. Just like electricity, bandwidth will be metered and charged based on time and quantity of use. Downloading movies will cost more during peak hours. This way the existing infrastructure can be used and companies can still earn revenue. Peoples habits will most likely shift to accommodate based on what they can afford. This works for electricity and years later it will be the norm.

I recently attended a conference regarding bandwidth and how the current use will outstrip supply in a few years. The basic premise is that the aging infrastructure (in terms of the US) was not equipped to handle ‘unlimited’ use. The telcos don’t want to upgrade because of the costs and trying to work with all the different municipalities is not worth it- people would complain about tearing up roads and some of the lines cross properties which creates a bureaucratic nightmare. There was a discussion about some places in Australia that sped up the process because the cities tore up the roads and told the telcos to drop the fiber and fix, a compromise. But here in the US it is difficult to find a city that isn’t in some budget crisis and would be willing to go through the necessary steps unless the residents demand it.

One person who is a physicist and private equity founder stood up and yelled at them that they were wrong for a variety of reasons one of which related to technology which can expand bandwidth. The panel basically said their premise was based on reality and not theory.

So what was the solution? Economics. Just like electricity, bandwidth will be metered and charged based on time and quantity of use. Downloading movies will cost more during peak hours. This way the existing infrastructure can be used and companies can still earn revenue. Peoples habits will most likely shift to accommodate based on what they can afford. This works for electricity and years later it will be the norm.

good post, taught me a couple things.

AT&t sucks, no network as far as i know is perfect, but they take the cake for being crappy.