New Google navigation bar rolling out

daredevil

• Administrators

Google has begun rolling out a new version of its cross-site navigation bar. Google's search tools still get top billing, with Gmail sliding in just before the more menu -- which is where you'll have to go to find your Reader link. Elements have a bit more padding now as well, which will make them more finger-friendly on your Android 3.0 Honeycomb tablet (or other touchscreen device). Another change is that your name is now displayed on the right side when you're signed in, as opposed to your email address. To see your associated accounts or switch profiles, just click your name.

There are rumors that the redesign could signal the arrival of Google +1, the "social layer" which has been in the works since last year. It's been rumored that +1 would be a sort of Facebook competitor from Google -- who already owns one of those in Orkut. Of course, the new navbar could also just be Google trying to stick to its minimalist modus operandi.

google_toolbar.jpg

It will be interesting to see hoe Google intergrates the social Networking in considering Windows live sucks hard maybe google will give FB a run for its money.

• Administrators

FB a run for its money.

Google failed in Orkut and made it cluster mess. Facebook is innovative or at least I see it like that way.

Google as long way to go in social market things.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you there, dare. I forget who I heard say this, but it made a lot of sense to me: Google looks at things from an engineering perspective, whereas Facebook sees things from a sociological point of view. It should be rather obvious which of those is best suited toward social interactions, and until Google changes its approach it won't be able to break (well, barring Orkut, which is still popular in Brazil, and a few other countries) into Facebook's territory.