Zeal Optics Recon HUD Goggles

NoGooD

I haven't seen anyone post on here about these, but I figured since it's winter there are likely a few snow sports enthusiasts in here that might dig on this if they haven't seen them already.

Essentially Zeal optics, in collaboration with Recon instruments got together to create a GPS/Bluetooth enabled goggle that gives a real time heads up display of certain stats while your riding. Things such as speed, altitude, vertical gain/drop, total distance odometers, run-counter, temperature, stopwatch/chrono mode and clock. The high end model comes with a polarized photocromatic lens that automatically adjusts to changing light conditions while the lower end model doesn't included the photocromatic lens.

At $499 and $399 respectively, they aren't for your weekend warriors looking to hook up a few runs, drop some brews and hook up with a snowbunny. No, these are for the hardcore ski/snowboarder/snowmobile rider that likes to drop in some hairy chutes, go off piste, race down the mountain, drop some brews and hook up with a snow bunny.

They're sold out of the photocromatic lenses until next year (the waiting list was 6-8 months long last year on a run of 6,000). Hopefully if you were able to get your hands on a pair...you can share the experience.

Couple of links:

recon instruments

PC mag review

Gadgeteer Review

Transcend_front2_info2_1_0.jpg

post-26-0-99429600-1294626248_thumb.jpg

post-26-0-32285400-1294626257_thumb.jpg

These look pretty cool, and I'm sure those features are super nice.

I'd actually like to see the bluetooth hacked on this for extended functionality for PC use and gaming, to give an alternative HUD or extra information in games... I'd definitely get a pair.

It isn't really that I'm technical... I'm just crazy. Really. I'm one of those, "See 1,001 uses in every day items" kind of crazy.

But playing the, "If I had money" card, I'd probably buy about 5 sets so I can use them in costuming since I intend on creating a Master Chief, Samus Aran, and TRON set of costumes, and having a HUD customized via Bluetooth would be pretty sweet.