problem with dimms

metal_scum

what most people dont know. a process can only adress 4GB on x64 as well. ;) More than 4 GBytes doesnt make really sense if you dont work in movie business. You ll need a super raid array with ultra fast hard drives to work fast. Also another negative effect... hybernate mode is getting damn slow. Its fast with 1, 2 slower with 4 and must be ulra slow with 8. Also.. the most software available runs in x32 mode. this is also slower because more data needs to be transfered on a x64 machine. I havent benchmark yet.. but after a switched from x64 to x32 i THINK ( i dont really know it) that my computer runs smoother. Including startup, cod4, standby stuff and the core system (explorer and such things)... And the system doesnt need that much hdd space ( i run 2 10.000 rpm raptors in Raid 0) so i havent that much space. Vista64 winsxs folder was 18GByte!!!! large! The whole vista folder 35 GByte.

So the question is... why do u need more than 3GByte of Memory? :hmm

I tried windows 7 and i hope it runs a bit better at all. I ll switch to x64 back after it has been released.

too bad that I am was using my pc for a purpose tother than games only fo 1.5 years. Couldnt learn much within this interval. Dont know if it is my fault that i am still a noob... oh and that upgrade for the 6GB isnt going to happen soon... Thats what i forgot to mention

(dont shoot at me)

vista consumes 800 mb on my system with 4gb on 32bit. on 64 it took like 1.4... vista takes that much RAM depending on how much RAM you got... also the 64 bit drivers / procs need more space in memory..

2gb was a good amount for windows xp. Running Vista and new games that game out in Vista's time DX10 and later dx9 games like cod4&5, 4gb should be the golden amount. 6gb like the kits that come in triple channel memory for the i7 processors allow you to not ever have to worry about memory. :D