Internet issue

Piotr

Hi,

I don't know if jay1 or my isp works properly. Game slows down in intervals. I see fps drops and ping jumping. I didn't change anything in cfg. This happening for several months. Could you tell what's going on?

I attached link with demo: 

1) Remove programs you don't need + edit what starts when you turn on your computer 

- Remove programs that you don't need. Double check that your antivirus + other programs do not conflict with your game. After removing programs/double-checking that your programs are fine..open the start menu & type "msconfig" and open the option > system configuration. Go through every single tab carefully, do not skip any part*. Disable programs/services/etc. that do not* need to be started when your PC starts.

2) Use task manager (control + shift + escape / CTRL + SHIFT + ESC) and go through every tab carefully to give you an understanding of what is running & what isn't. Disable/delete what you don't need. 

3) Edit your graphics settings & update your software/drivers.

- Update all of your software & drivers. You may need to buy a software for this if you prefer, I use driver booster & it has always kept my PC drivers up-to-date + I've never had any serious PC issue while using this software on a once a week basis (I check driver & software updates once a week).

For software updates, I recommend PatchMyPC. It is free & works very well.

Depending on which graphics card/driver you have - it can be NVIDIA, Intel, etc. - you have to navigate to the correct graphics settings and try changing to high/maximum performance mode (I've done this with my Intel graphics settings+ RTX 3060 Ti graphics settings), and it never disappoints. 

You can press start and type in "graphics" and analyze/go through all the options carefully. You will find the respective graphics settings available to you, which you need to look through and edit.

4) Consider re-installing your OS + ET. Yes, this is the most annoying option...but if absolutely nothing helps...this is the last resort. Backup all of your files/folders/software/etc. and re-install everything*.

This should surely boost your FPS.

Let us know what happens, we are always here to help. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 7:13 PM, Outlaw23 said:

1) Remove programs you don't need + edit what starts when you turn on your computer 

- Remove programs that you don't need. Double check that your antivirus + other programs do not conflict with your game. After removing programs/double-checking that your programs are fine..open the start menu & type "msconfig" and open the option > system configuration. Go through every single tab carefully, do not skip any part*. Disable programs/services/etc. that do not* need to be started when your PC starts.

2) Use task manager (control + shift + escape / CTRL + SHIFT + ESC) and go through every tab carefully to give you an understanding of what is running & what isn't. Disable/delete what you don't need. 

Thx for advise, but i have to ask you about what i should remove from programs? What kind of processes i should disable? I remove dome programs and disabled some processes but it stil don,t work. I have 10 minutes normal gaming and after it problem returns. It still something cost using CPU

- Update all of your software & drivers. You may need to buy a software for this if you prefer, I use driver booster & it has always kept my PC drivers up-to-date + I've never had any serious PC issue while using this software on a once a week basis (I check driver & software updates once a week).

Depending on which graphics card/driver you have - it can be NVIDIA, Intel, etc. - you have to navigate to the correct graphics settings and try changing to high/maximum performance mode (I've done this with my Intel graphics settings+ RTX 3060 Ti graphics settings), and it never disappoints. 

You can press start and type in "graphics" and analyze/go through all the options carefully. You will find the respective graphics settings available to you, which you need to look through and edit.

4) Consider re-installing your OS + ET. Yes, this is the most annoying option...but if absolutely nothing helps...this is the last resort. Backup all of your files/folders/software/etc. and re-install everything*.

BTW i don,t think it cpu thing, do you see corrupted lagometer and that itervals matched to lagometer

Last but not least. I have tried with second instalation of et (already installed in the past almost empty - only my cfg, it was second instaotion for playing at etpro mode). Same thing occures with network failure.

Issue is not solved yet.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Piotr said:

BTW i don,t think it cpu thing, do you see corrupted lagometer and that itervals matched to lagometer

Bad / slow internet will not make your game drop frames like that. My guess is that the reason you see lag spikes on the lagometer exactly at the same time as your game lags is because the game will stop sending/receving packets at that time, because it basically freezes for few seconds. Maybe your CPU is overheating (how old is your PC). It's not very likley but it could also be your GPU. Do you have integrated GPU on your motherboard? If so, maybe try to use it, see if the fps drops continue.

Edited by HarryAimpotter

• Platinum VIP
11 hours ago, HarryAimpotter said:

Bad / slow internet will not make your game drop frames like that. My guess is that the reason you see lag spikes on the lagometer exactly at the same time as your game lags is because the game will stop sending/receving packets at that time, because it basically freezes for few seconds. Maybe your CPU is overheating (how old is your PC). It's not very likley but it could also be your GPU. Do you have integrated GPU on your motherboard? If so, maybe try to use it, see if the fps drops continue.

I'd be curious about how long since he did a thorough cleaning of the case, fans and new thermal paste. I found out some years ago, heat has a huge impact on this game in just the way his problems are

I don't have a lot of experience with CPU overheating, but I think what you would expect to see is gradual decrease in fps/performance until to a complete freeze/BSOD. I can be wrong ofc. I think the best action would be to get some kind of  third party party CPU monitoring tool, that would show in detaill what kind of apps use CPU and how much. Maybe even simpler solution is format c / reinstall op sys.

In my case im using my old speakers 5.1and all in front off me and when it comes a "new" update the date is always older then the last update how can i fix this cause i think its this thats causing my fps became unstabel and the sound looks horribel and the sound always come out on 1 or 2 speakers and i have to turn off and on to see if all speakers start working i use drive booster pro version 

• Platinum VIP
3 hours ago, HarryAimpotter said:

I don't have a lot of experience with CPU overheating, but I think what you would expect to see is gradual decrease in fps/performance until to a complete freeze/BSOD. I can be wrong ofc. I think the best action would be to get some kind of  third party party CPU monitoring tool, that would show in detaill what kind of apps use CPU and how much. Maybe even simpler solution is format c / reinstall op sys.

In my case, it wasn't that extreme of overheating as much as just running hotter than it should have been. I was a noob computer builder and didn't know that thermal paste needed to be renewed periodically. It had been about 6 years on that build when I had a LOT of lag, playing ET, which I spent hours playing back then and was the only game I actively played (kinda like now, actually).

I pulled all my fans off and cleaned them thoroughly and when I pulled the  CPU off, the paste was a joke, really, so fresh coat, putting it back together and temps came way back down to normal and my lag in ET was gone

• 100 2