Other languages in the main chat.

Svart Rev

TL;DR.

Spoiler

Well... What should I start with?..

I think I have to start with the fact, that I haven't played ET for years. And at the time I left there was a certain rule that English is obligatory in the main chat on every FA server. The only exception was to say a brief 'hello' in other languages but English.

After I started playing again on Nq1 a few weeks ago, I got really confused. I saw some players having short chats in other languages. So I decided to ask admins, if there were some changes in the clan policy. And I was told that some messages in other languages are now allowed on European servers, if players don't overuse it, and English is only mandatory on American servers.

After having an unpleasant incident with a troublesome player on this matter, I decided to ask admins again, if other languages are allowed in the main chat or not. This time I was told that it is tolerated (if players don't overuse it), but everything depends on a certain admin and his/her vision of this rule.

Today I saw an admin using !speak command and asked another admin for the third time about this rule. The answer was that he doesn't know about any changes in FA policy.

In my humble opinion such condition is very confusing and unclear. It is really difficult to follow the rule, if there is no certain description of it and everything depends on admin's vision and mood.

I don't want to pretend I always follow all the rules... But at least it is good to know when I break these and should prepare for a punishment. x3

So, my questions are:

1) Is English the only allowed language on European servers or not?

2) If not, how do I understand the allowed limit of using another languages?

• Like 1

• Inactive Member
  1. Talking in other languages is allowed up to a certain extent since it's a European server.

I think it depends also on how many players are in.

I take it as you can say in native language to someone hey, how are ? he ask you too. you tell him and that should be enough. When there is no other people its OK. Problem is that foreign players may think its insulting and so on. After small talk I suggest to use PM for the rest of communication.

Maybe someone will explain it better but this is from my POV as player and also as admin.

If it goes too long and I feel its not ok I will please players to start using PM.

Edited by rMks
  • 100 1

1 hour ago, Svart Rev said:

So, my questions are:

2) If not, how do I understand the allowed limit of using another languages?

No, on European servers player#1 can say "hello!" to player#2 in their native language and have a small chat with him in main chat (I mean the questions "how are you?"; "how is your kids?" etc.)

If player#1 and player#2 have been speaking their language for about 5 minutes in the main chat, you can politely ask them to go to PM.

https://fearless-assassins.com/wiki/index.php/W:ET_Server_Rules#F|A_RECRUITING_XP_SAVE - here it is indicated in the rules of each server which server is European

• Like 4
  • 100 1

First of all, I'd like to thank you for your quick reaction, gentlemen.

Still I can't say, that I've got the answer I was looking for. I mean... Between saying 'hello'/asking 'whats up?' and 5-minute-long chats there are also alot of different short talks like saying "gotcha", "great shot", "I'll get you next time", "Only in your wet dreams" etc.

What about these? Are such small conversations, which consist of 1-2 phrases from each side, allowed?

Spoiler

Todays example:

A player from Finland almost got me, but I managed to hide under the bridge. Not willing to let him kill me, I decided to make a suicide. It was still counted as his frag by the game, as far as I suicided too quickly. His reaction was "Tubli poiss", which means "Good boy" in Estonian. And immediately an admin used cmd !speak.

I know the cmd !speak very well and I also use it, when other players tend to chat too much in other languages. And I find it to be the best way for admins to show that it's the limit... But how do I make sure I do not receive a warning if I respond in other language a couple of times during a map, for example?

Edited by Svart Rev

Just now, Svart Rev said:

First of all, I'd like to thank you for your quick reaction, gentlemen.

Still I can't say, that I've got the answer I was looking for. I mean... Between saying 'hello'/asking 'whats up?' and 5-minute-long chats there are also alot of different short talks like saying "gotcha", "great shot", "I'll get you next time", "Only in your wet dreams" etc.

What about these? Are such small conversations, which consist of 1-2 phrases from each side, allowed?

I know the cmd !speak very well and I also use it, when other players tend to chat too much in other languages. And I find it to be the best way for admins to show that it's the limit... But how do I make sure I do not receive a warning if I respond in other language a couple of times during a map, for example?

yes, short convo´s are allowed.

however,

we admins usually know our rule offenders, and a fraction of the players have been already challenging the admins patience with that "rule".

so don´t wonder if someone does something against it without any hesitation beforehand.

We admins work on a common understanding of our rules, and so far i didn´t see any differences in that kind of understanding that would requier an official rule change or something.

maybee a private message to those players to remind them to use pm or teamchat instead. 

It´s a greyzone on purpose so far, since we admins usually are cool if you´re cool iykwim...😎 

If you feel someone was muted or warned unjustified for that due to that rule, please let us know, but worst that could happen should be a 10 minute mute or something... so why bother

• Like 2
  • 100 2

So, I think now I got the answer I was looking for.

I also find a healthy common sense to be the best way to apply rules and now I get the point of view on this specific rule.

Thank you once again for replying and making this thing clear to me. Very appreciate your attention and help.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

basically if your not rude and abrasive it is tolerated. in eruo servers. i let it go a bit even on usa server if i know its harmless. 

if your going to have a full on chat , id suggest a /m pm to said player this will keep you from having admins breathing down your neck.

• 100 1

9 hours ago, Svart Rev said:

Like others already said - it's relaxed on Euro servers to certain point. It's very strict on US server tho, except when map ends and warmup usually.

9 hours ago, Svart Rev said:

2) If not, how do I understand the allowed limit of using another languages?

Quick example like I look at this: if like 6 people is on server and 3 of them are French but long time trusted regulars and they are talking with each other in French then I usually allow them to do it to the moment somebody says it bothers them or I tell them: it's okay for now, but when more players join please use PM. Works every time. But same situation on crowded server will not be approved by me. Won't bother anyone if they exchange few sentences between each other on crowded server but longer convos I won't allow. I let people talk in their language as long as they keep it under control.

Common sense is needed overall, especially in greyzone, you can't just describe every possible situation in Rules.

Edited by yaku
  • Like 1
  • 100 1