Traditional local cuisine in Italy's cities/regions

RaV137

Hey, soon gonna go on vacation to Italy and I was wondering if some cities or regions have specific dishes, that are unique and not so popular in other areas? 😄

Mostly I'm thinking about Bologna, Venice, Florence, Milano, Genua, cause these are the cities that I would like to visit, but would love to read about other ones, like Turin, Naples, Rome etc. 😄

I won't be mad if you will post some countrywide dishes, that you think I should taste, I want to try as much local food as possible ;)

Was in the region of Florence a couple of years ago..i just couldn't get enough of the 'Bistecca alla Fiorentina' (Florence' steak). It's from the Chianina cow, a breed that appears to come from Tuscany). You can also try Ossobuco, which originates from Milan..also 
Bot aren't very cheap, but every single time it was worth every penny. 

My trip through Tuscany must have been one of my best holidays ever..the region is so beautiful. Enjoy!

• Love 1

@yaku punk 🤣🙃

@RaV137 damit man... i'm in bloody Rome...won't tell any of Rome unless you come over 🙃

for all i'm going to write down here look it up on google/googleMaps i'll use italian names so just copy paste

Bologna:

- most importan is Lasaga with classic ragu, i suggest "Pasta Fresca Naldi" not too far from the city center and it's an "on the go"  or inside the Market of the erbs (Mercato delle erbe , still right in the center of the city) there's some good places you can sit and have a very good lasagna 

- the traditional "crescentine" or "tigelle" : these are a starter or something to have a quick snack and is basically soft bread you stuff with different kind of cured meat (like mortadella or ham etc..) and/or fresh cheese, definitely try the different kind of cured meat here

- the "tortellini" it's a pasta dish similar to ravioli but having meat filling

- Altabella street : the area around here is a nice place to find good things

Venice:

Gosh i'm missing from Venice by a long time

- best food here are fish dishes but don't look for tuna or salmon please, look for squids, clams, mussels, cod, anchovies and such

- one thing to try is the liver (should be from cows) , they cook it with tons of onions and is fenomenal if you like liver in general

- a pasta dish to try out are the "bigoli" with a salsa made of dissolved anchovies and onions

- always look for places that prepare small bites of food all different they call it "cicchetti" look for places like this "Cantina do spade" and "Bacareto da Lele"

- "sarde in saor": pilchards fried at first then put to rest in a salsa made of raisins, onions and vinegar

Florence:

meat, meat, meat...and..meat again

- traditional t-bone steak and has to be medium-raw , if you ask for a well cooked one it's like an insult

- cheese: find a good food truck that has a good selections and have a try

- tripe = stomach and intestines mostly boiled then cooked in tomato sauce, a very good place is the "Vecchia Osteria dal Nacchero" (on the other side of the river...maybe not too easy to get to)

- "lampredotto" is a must at "Tripperia Pollini", similar to tripe but no tomato sauce

if you have to choose between tripe and lampredotto ..well choose to be happy and have both🤣

Milan: this is a different story, Milan has a very fusion inspired cooking scene these days so you can find basically everything

there's no typical dish except stews and casseroles (again winter time)

- something to try could be the "cotoletta alla milanese" = deep fried veal/pork steak

- the "ossobuco" usually from the shinbone of the veal (still having bone marrow in) slow cooked with carrots, celery, served with a topping of parsely+garlic+lemon zests (some also add orange zests)

- during XMas the typical sweet is the "Panettone"...like a sweet bread filled with dried candied fruits, i suggest "Pasticceria Ranieri" they make a version with pineapple but i'm mostly positive you can't find any in summer

Genua:

- "pasta al pesto" is the king and the queen and most of the royal family... it's pasta with a basil salsa. Go to "Trattoria della Raibetta" near the harbor

- the "focaccia" of Genova ... similar to pizza but it has no toppings and is thicker and soft as a cloud...but also has lots of fat in it 🤣. Go to "Panificio Mario" not far from the train station

- also fish dishes

Edited by LarrY
  • Like 2
  • Love 6
  • Surprise 2
  • 100 1

@LarrY

Omg, thank you! I need to print and laminate it or at least do a pdf from what you have written, for sure gonna try at least one from each city's list (and probably all for Bologne, as it will be my trip base, from where gonna go to other cities) 😄 

Edited by RaV137
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, RaV137 said:

@LarrY

Omg, thank you! I need to print and laminate it or at least do a pdf from what have you wrote, for sure gonna try at least one from each city's list (and probably all for Bologne, as it will be my trip base, from where gonna go to other cities) 😄 

Make 2 copies, one for me 😄

• Haha 1
  • 100 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 2:48 PM, LarrY said:

@yaku punk 🤣🙃

@RaV137 damit man... i'm in bloody Rome...won't tell any of Rome unless you come over 🙃

for all i'm going to write down here look it up on google/googleMaps i'll use italian names so just copy paste

Bologna:

- most importan is Lasaga with classic ragu, i suggest "Pasta Fresca Naldi" not too far from the city center and it's an "on the go"  or inside the Market of the erbs (Mercato delle erbe , still right in the center of the city) there's some good places you can sit and have a very good lasagna 

- the traditional "crescentine" or "tigelle" : these are a starter or something to have a quick snack and is basically soft bread you stuff with different kind of cured meat (like mortadella or ham etc..) and/or fresh cheese, definitely try the different kind of cured meat here

- the "tortellini" it's a pasta dish similar to ravioli but having meat filling

- Altabella street : the area around here is a nice place to find good things

Venice:

Gosh i'm missing from Venice by a long time

- best food here are fish dishes but don't look for tuna or salmon please, look for squids, clams, mussels, cod, anchovies and such

- one thing to try is the liver (should be from cows) , they cook it with tons of onions and is fenomenal if you like liver in general

- a pasta dish to try out are the "bigoli" with a salsa made of dissolved anchovies and onions

- always look for places that prepare small bites of food all different they call it "cicchetti" look for places like this "Cantina do spade" and "Bacareto da Lele"

- "sarde in saor": pilchards fried at first then put to rest in a salsa made of raisins, onions and vinegar

Florence:

meat, meat, meat...and..meat again

- traditional t-bone steak and has to be medium-raw , if you ask for a well cooked one it's like an insult

- cheese: find a good food truck that has a good selections and have a try

- tripe = stomach and intestines mostly boiled then cooked in tomato sauce, a very good place is the "Vecchia Osteria dal Nacchero" (on the other side of the river...maybe not too easy to get to)

- "lampredotto" is a must at "Tripperia Pollini", similar to tripe but no tomato sauce

if you have to choose between tripe and lampredotto ..well choose to be happy and have both🤣

Milan: this is a different story, Milan has a very fusion inspired cooking scene these days so you can find basically everything

there's no typical dish except stews and casseroles (again winter time)

- something to try could be the "cotoletta alla milanese" = deep fried veal/pork steak

- the "ossobuco" usually from the shinbone of the veal (still having bone marrow in) slow cooked with carrots, celery, served with a topping of parsely+garlic+lemon zests (some also add orange zests)

- during XMas the typical sweet is the "Panettone"...like a sweet bread filled with dried candied fruits, i suggest "Pasticceria Ranieri" they make a version with pineapple but i'm mostly positive you can't find any in summer

Genua:

- "pasta al pesto" is the king and the queen and most of the royal family... it's pasta with a basil salsa. Go to "Trattoria della Raibetta" near the harbor

- the "focaccia" of Genova ... similar to pizza but it has no toppings and is thicker and soft as a cloud...but also has lots of fat in it 🤣. Go to "Panificio Mario" not far from the train station

- also fish dishes

Damn this is making me hungry... 😄 I will save this for when I go to italy in the future :)

• 100 1

Italian cuisine is largely regional, so you can find many different dishes from region to region.

This guide seems me a good one:

Bologna       Eat Local in Bologna (tasteatlas.com)

Venice          Eat Local in Venice (tasteatlas.com)

Florence      Eat Local in Florence (tasteatlas.com)

and so on...

just to let you understand, check the differences between Florence and Bologna, 120km distance, totally different cuisine.

Have fun in Italy, and let me know if you will pass through Trentino xD

• Like 1