Pic of the Day 05.09.21

DJ aka GDR DJ

• Leader
12 hours ago, DJ aka GDR DJ said:

diewissenwasguis-0.jpg

Ryzen CPUs up for grabs in lottery vending machines in Japan

People in Japan are paying for a chance to win a Ryzen Zen 2 CPU.

What you need to know

Vending machines in Japan give people a chance to win a Ryzen CPU.
It costs roughly $9 to enter, and people have a 1-in-30 chance to win a Ryzen Zen 2 chip.
None of AMD's Ryzen Zen 3 chips appear to be available through the machines.

[badword deleted] OH, Reading further, I finally understand the "lottery" method of the machine.  You always get a product, but :

The boxes in the machine are for some of the best CPUs, such as the Ryzen 5 5000 Zen 3 and Ryzen 5 3000 Zen 2, but you can't actually win either of those processors. The boxes contain Zen and Zen 2 processors or Intel Athlon, Pentium, or Celeron chips. Hopefully that's clearly stated, or people will be disappointed when they open up one of the boxes.

https://www.windowscentral.com/ryzen-cpus-grabs-lottery-vending-machines-japan

The machine appears at 2:20 in the video below.  Auto-translation to other languages is available.  Some of the English CCs are confusing or amusing! 😄 "I want open my last life I want to open this." (Probably JP saying or slang, I guess.) OMG!  Other snippets have, "5 he's a rabbi And what's a squirrel? 493 is espensive What can I do?"  Waiting for the English captions turned out to be a lot of fun, and a puzzle, at the same time.

What a FIND, @DJ aka GDR DJ What a FIND! 😄 😄 😄 

• Haha 1

Bit more to it.

For 1000 yen, you choose a number and press a button. You will get a box of RYZEN5 Inside the box is a retail cooler and an old CPU of some kind There is a 1 in 2 chance that the box will have an entry ticket attached to it. If you fill in the ticket and apply for the prize You have a 1 in 30 chance of winning a RYZEN! Thank you very much for watching this video by a Japanese newbie youtuber! Please subscribe to our channel!

So put money in the machine and get a box with a heatsink and an old CPU....The lucky ones (1 in 2) win a ticket in their box which they then have to fill in and apply to enter the prize draw which itself is a 1 in 30 chance to win a new Ryzen.??

Seems like a lot of work 😄

• Haha 1

• Leader
45 minutes ago, Snuffs99 said:

Seems like a lot of work 😄

That seems like better odds than Government Lotteries! 😄  (But the payout if relatively low, as in not MILLIONs/BILLIONs.)

OH, and I forgot the other problem:  what do you do with the "parts" that you will probably receive, that you don't need or really want? 😄 

Did he mention an "iced beer" or was that a "bear"?   Those auto-xlat-to-English CC were so much fun! 😕

Edited by RedBaird
+ Oh, and I forgot...
  • 100 1