HW question

RendeL

So I have this old PC that is a teenager already and I am running out of gpu's (heat/fps issues, cleaned, put in new paste, increased fan speed, doesn't help) and figured I'd buy a new. I haven't really keep myself updated with the new HW nor done reading and I have already forgot some stuff since I assembled this pc...

Now I already ordered one gpu (geforce gt210), but the webshop from my ISP (no posting fees and price was 40€) that was selling it and after looking at the nvidia driver for it to download it ready to wait for install, it turned out that there is no driver available for win10. And the package didn't include drivers and it idd said it was compatible for win7. Those bastards!

I cancelled the order and looked for a newer gpu, found one with the almost the same price, but it has a passive cooler. Anyone have experience of these how good it is for cooling? Gpu is geforce gt 710. I have only one 12 cm fan and I added a small fan few years ago when I had attached 2 gpu's inside on crossfire state. All fans speed can be adjusted by mb own program.

I also read that since I have pci express 2 x 16 slot that I could put there an pci e 3 gpu, tho the speed would be then only for pci e 2 x 8 or so I understood...anyone knows this?

And last, some gpu's that could fit uses ddr5 memory and I have ddr2 or 3 support on mb, the speed would be slow and kinda wasted?

I dont have (and dont want for this pc) much money to spend atm and those gpu's are only 49€, so I'd like to stick within that pricerange for this old toaster.

MB SPECS

PC specs:

Sieppaa.JPG.920dc62d38a3e18a22e991699604363d.JPG

In newer windows 10 versions driver signature enforcement is turned on meaning you cant use drivers "without" proper digital signatures. So your 210 driver for instance you would need to first turn driver enforcement off and then install the driver with windows 7/8 compat.

The 710 cards with a passive cooler work fine but if i recall even with the 710 you will have the same problem regarding driver enforcement and working windows 10 drivers, you would have to again turn enforcement off and probably use an older driver from nvidia.

Re PCI-e 2?? whatever card you install will be backwards compatible but as you state you will lose some bandwidth and have a "slower" running card.

DDR5 on graphics refers to the GFX cards memory type (GDDR) and not the mobo, so it would be fine to run on an older system but again you would be limited by the slower PCI-e 2 slot.

2 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

In newer windows 10 versions driver signature enforcement is turned on meaning you cant use drivers "without" proper digital signatures. So your 210 driver for instance you would need to first turn driver enforcement off and then install the driver with windows 7/8 compat.

The 710 cards with a passive cooler work fine but if i recall even with the 710 you will have the same problem regarding driver enforcement and working windows 10 drivers, you would have to again turn enforcement off and probably use an older driver from nvidia.

Re PCI-e 2?? whatever card you install will be backwards compatible but as you state you will lose some bandwidth and have a "slower" running card.

DDR5 on graphics refers to the GFX cards memory type (GDDR) and not the mobo, so it would be fine to run on an older system but again you would be limited by the slower PCI-e 2 slot.

Thx for the answer!

Now I have even more Q:

How do you turn off the signature stuff? I have this radeon gpu and this doesn't either have a working driver, or it has driver, but not the settings doesn't work, the CCC doesn't open at all and just gives error. Would give it a last try if I could get the CCC working, so I could adjust the fan and settings more with the OC program.

For gt210 on nvidia support site, there was no driver/control panel for win10, but regular 210 had. Couldn't be sure it works for the gt version,so...as for the gt710, there is everything available for win10, I actually dl the driver package already.

And you just confirmed pretty much the bandwith drop I thought would become if I install new card to old gear.

Was going to type it all out but far quicker just to give a link. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

You want to use option 2

Sadly AMD never have good drivers and ccc tends ot be sluggish at the best of times, its entirely possible the radeon card is playng up as the driver is being blocked on startup (hence one reason why you turn enforcement off)

Regarding the gt710

I have had issues with a few 710's and 720's previously where the drivers, although available just don't work and iv'e had to revert to using older drivers and installing them while in win7 compat mode.

Fingers crossed it all goes well for you so let me know.

GL

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Thanks 1