webcams

forestcat

well, after a drunken mishap on gameday (i had mic on push to talk and only realized after a bottle and a half o wine 😄 ) I'm getting past the OMG talk to ppl :o stage and will be on discord chat some more (it was a giggle listening to you all)

but 

being a tight fisted northener i dont have a webcam and the price at the mo :o  sooooooooo 

after a bit of research ive found ip webcam app (more info here) to use an old mobile phone as a webcam 

so you may even get to see my ugly mug at some later date (testing is ongoing)

so what webcam do you have and why did you choose it ?

EDIT

well it works (need a bit more work on my lego mounting cradle tho 😄

quick guide

get ip webcam from the play store

start server

go to web address given on screen

click videochat drivers (top centre)

download driver and install (add web address as stated in screenshot)

open discord and start cam and wave 👋

Edited by forestcat
link added + quickguide
  • Like 1

logitech c930e

reasons: excellent pic quality, full hd and an decent fov (90 degree).

offtopic: will go for another one with fov 120 degree (spedal c920pro). have anyone here experience with the spedal?

Edited by casper
  • Like 1

• Leader

Thanks for this topic.  I need to get a webcam for my upcoming Zoom appointment with a Veterans Admin tech in couple of weeks.

I need that fancy one that blanks messy backgrounds, and such. 😄 

ADDED:  ChromaCam and other programs work with Logitech to modify backgrounds.  What shall I use as my background?  My FA Avatar? :hmm 

Edited by RedBaird
ADDED:

6 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

I need that fancy one that blanks messy backgrounds, and such. 😄 

this is another interesting option of the logitech c930e. i dont use it, but tested it and it works very well

actually the cam is incredible expensive (just my opinion). had luck and bought mine for 78 euro this year (amazon) but waited for the final delivery 2 months ...."I can wait..."

ps.: i guess its cheaper to clean up your room and bought a cheaper one 😅

• Haha 1

• Leader
16 hours ago, casper said:

inal delivery 2 months ....

Oh, I can't wait THAT long.  I may get a Zoom appointment in two or three weeks.  Do I have to go to the Best Buy store here? 😄 

just won a microsoft lifecam studio on ebay for £30 (£30 for 10yr old tech :o ) but hopefully microsoft quality outweighs chinese iffyness at that price and as I'm just using it as a webcam and not uploading vids or becoming a stream demon it should do the job. 

there are lots of complaints about the twitchy autofocus but apparently an update smooths it out.

will update when tested 👍

as for logitech 

b = business c = consumer and i read a post that stated the b910 worked with the c910 drivers and software (consensus seem to agree that the c920 is the benchmark)

offtopic: will go for another one with fov 120 degree (spedal c920pro). have anyone here experience with the spedal?

youtube vid reviewing the spedal (makes me think of Deadpool and the hudal scene) and it  

as for backgrounds, just print out a massive cat poster 😻 or use a bedsheet 😄  mmmmmm.... need to shop for a green bedsheet 🤢

update :- lifecam cinema has arrived and well........... it works 

0.9 megapixel is 720p

pro's 

pretty clear pic

plug and play

colours ok 

activity light 

you can now see Zuki on discord 🐶

con's

autofocus is slow and you need to start the camera app each time you boot up to keep it on manual focus

bit grainy in low light (very grainy in low low light)

only 720p

no software (too old 😄 )

you can now see me on discord 😛 

all in all it does the job but I'm glad I didn't pay shop price for it  (£80)