Modding your Nintendo console

SkyeDarkhawk

Just wondering if anyone else in the F|A community has taken the chance with modding one or more of their Nintendo based products; of course, these mods can range anywhere from re-using their NES case for a PC case, to picking up a R4 or similar product for their DS/i, or going far enough to get a solder on mod-chip for one of their consoles.

Myself, I picked up a Qoob Pro chip for my gamecube and it's done a few cool things for me, not to mention getting some hands on experience with small electronics.

Just wondering if anyone else in the F|A community has taken the chance with modding one or more of their Nintendo based products; of course, these mods can range anywhere from re-using their NES case for a PC case, to picking up a R4 or similar product for their DS/i, or going far enough to get a solder on mod-chip for one of their consoles.

Myself, I picked up a Qoob Pro chip for my gamecube and it's done a few cool things for me, not to mention getting some hands on experience with small electronics.

I bought an R4 if that counts lol. Also flashed the dvd drive of my xbox 360

Flashing the DVD drive of your 360 does? I assume it lets you play un-signed games (homebrewn burnt games).

But yeah, the R4 counts because you're running things that weren't entirely meant for the handheld. The selection of applications and demos are amazing, aren't they?

Edit: Oh yeah, I also forgot; adding additional lights or other effects also counts for modding your console/handheld system. So adding that tricked out light rail to glow along with your Wii's disc slot is totally in there, or even having to repair a speaker or mic on your DS.

Edited by SkyeDarkhawk

Too true, lately they've just been pushing crapware out the door like it's candy/drugs and hoping people will buy into the hype. Very few titles for either the Wii or DS/i are worth the price point they placed on them, even then it's a matter of personal preference; for example, I enjoy the Metroid, Zelda, and Megaman series (save Battle Network style ones), and I have no problem paying out the ass for those games. I do think, that Nintendo needs to get on the ball with downloadable games, and cut their prices in half. I'd dare say that more than 50% of current game pricing pays for all the advertising, printing, and duplications they have to make for the game. Digital downloads are were it's all at, and right now... Nintendo is only delving into that half-assed.

• 3 months later...

I own an AceKard 2i for my DS Lite. The R4 is ancient and probably wouldn't work for a lot of the games out right now. Unless it's an imitation R4... in which case it's only half-ass kept up to date. Even still.. most of them are cheap and the hardware has issues running certain games. The original R4 team stopped releasing updates long ago. My AK2i works like a dream. It can play any of the 5400+ DS titles, any homebrew games/software you happen to find for it and there's a few other nifty little features. For example, I can place an ebook or text document on my Micro-SD card and read it on my DS. There's also a little homebrew app made for viewing comics or manga or graphic novels. Aside from that, I can also listen to music and watch shows/movies/video files that I place onto it.