ET Legacy and Beginners

ant1y
Go to solution Solved by ant1y,

You can patch ETL by commenting out this line: https://github.com/etlegacy/etlegacy/blob/2ad9ef057746bcc9626455a64c67c13a3e877c5e/src/qcommon/download.c#L214

For ordinary folks, the ETLegacy team has basically declared that they don't care. You have to wait for the next release to see what kind of support they offer (but they likely will not help you).

• Like 2

I've come to conclude they are unfamiliar with windows 95 and nt's old dos shortnames either because microsoft has either removed or disabled 8dot3 or in short 8.3 names or they no longer teach it in school

They could also enable downloading of char *8dot3name with char *filename by adding the function to the static void method 

or some smart guy with time to kill could write a script to add the function to overwrite the if clause for server side just saying 

example but not accurate just a quick typeo being I haven't written Plain C in a long time more of a C++ user but it's close but not accurately applied in the below function

static void checkDownloadName(char *filename, *8dot3name)
{
    int i;

for (i = 0; i < strlen(filename,8dot3name); i++)
    {
        if (filename <= 39 || filename >= 144)
        {
            Cvar_Set("com_missingFiles", "");
            Com_Error(ERR_DROP, "Disconnected from server.\n\nServer file name \"%s\" is containing an invalid character for the ET: Legacy file structure.\n\nDownloading file denied.", filename);
        }
    }
}

But sense function is calling for local and remote names the function will return a error cause the system that the code was written with may not contain the 8.3 shortnames or it is disabled in the system by default 

I did want to explain it further but the more I dug in my head the more I realized I was talking to my self and answering my self felt old so I gave up useless info these days

• Solution

Its not even just downloading pk3s thats the problem, if you already download the pk3, and paste in correct folder it still isnt happy with the filename and just auto deletes it. Like someone said prev this isntn something you would expect a game to do, just go and delete files without warning. Crazy

I found the problem I think sense this program was written in VS2013 it doesn't come with 8dot3name short spaces which is Windows 7 compatible and windows 7 by default has it disabled in the system so VS2013 doesn't support 8dot3name

ET was written in versions VS2012 and lower for systems that use Windows XP SP3 and later with 8dot3name short name spaces are included in the system.

In theory the attempt to compile a stable .db that supports 8dot3name spaces they will need to drop VS2013 to VS2012 and enable 8dot3name

Because I see no way to add 8dot3name spaces to VS2013 directly but I think there is a Addin for VS2013 just haven't found it my self but VS2012 has it

I wanted to be sure this theory is logically correct so I did this and had a return of disabled on Windows 10 Pro build 17763

run a administrative command prompt

output

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil 8dot3name query C:
The volume state is: 0 (8dot3 name creation is enabled).
The registry state is: 1 (Disable 8dot3 name creation on all volumes).

Based on the above settings, 8dot3 name creation is disabled on C:

• Like 1

I can confirm the original issue was fixed since you renamed the .pk3 file, they can now play on the server with legacy.  thank you! 

• Like 2