Windows 95 is coming back for the holidays – sort of

sincity

As you’ve more than likely noticed, the holiday season is now in full swing, and that means – at least for some folks – that it’s time to don a whole range of ridiculously tasteless clothing, from silly bobble hats through to the traditional gaudy sweater, and Microsoft is apparently poised to release a Windows 95-themed offering when it comes to the latter.

According to the firm’s official Windows Twitter account, at some point today, we can expect not a new piece of software, but a new piece of ‘softwear’ – did you see what they did there? – with an image provided of what looks like a chunky-knit sweater displaying a Windows 95 logo.

Bob hat

Whether this will be the only offering, or whether Microsoft is planning a few pieces of clothing themed around 90s nostalgia and its software ecosystem, we shall have to see.

Maybe we’ll also get a Microsoft Office 95 scarf decked out in a colorful jigsaw pattern. Or a Microsoft Bob bobble hat.

Or maybe we won’t. Only time will tell.

We were hoping to buy a more contemporary Windows 10 tank top ourselves, but it looks like these won’t be ready in time now, as apparently the production line was halted by Microsoft earlier this week, after compatibility issues were discovered with some of the different color wool threads…

Via On MSFT

2RL3-bykLzM

View the full article

• Like 1

• Leader
5 hours ago, sincity said:

Re-live the good old days by installing Windows 95 as a desktop app

Part of the article says, "Granting a 13-year-old operating system free rein over your computer would be a security nightmare... "

1995 was 23 years ago, or did they mean the end-of-life for 95?  I guess not, according to Wikipedia.

Three years after its introduction, Windows 95 was succeeded by Windows 98. 

Microsoft ended extended support for Windows 95 on December 31, 2001.

Succeeded by: Windows 98 (1998)
Preceded by: Windows 3.1x (1992)

Released to manufacturing: August 15, 1995

The jump from Windows 3.xx to 95 was stupendous!  :D

• Leader
6 hours ago, sincity said:

Microsoft Bob

OMG, I forgot all about Microsoft Bob!  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob

It was supposed to be a "user-friendly interface" to replace the Program Manager.  I don't think that I ever used it.  :D

I forgot about Rover, too!

msBob-758x474.jpg

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2018 at 9:13 AM, RedBaird said:

Part of the article says, "Granting a 13-year-old operating system free rein over your computer would be a security nightmare... "

1995 was 23 years ago, or did they mean the end-of-life for 95?  I guess not, according to Wikipedia.

Three years after its introduction, Windows 95 was succeeded by Windows 98. 

Microsoft ended extended support for Windows 95 on December 31, 2001.

Succeeded by: Windows 98 (1998)
Preceded by: Windows 3.1x (1992)

Released to manufacturing: August 15, 1995

The jump from Windows 3.xx to 95 was stupendous!  :D

The jump from a DOS loader to Win 95 was even better. Rover was no 1 bae. :D That image and the custom rooms you could make with shortcut items was a good little time waster for a little nerd, but utterly useless.

I was in 4th grade. Compuserve and AOL followed and shortly after I saw my first Pam Anderson boobs 😍

• Leader
1 hour ago, TulsaGeoff said:

Compuserve and AOL

I was on Compuserve, pre-Internet, and first got on the Net via CIS.  :D (Compuserve Information Service)

HTML & web servers were the death-knell for CIS.  AOL later bought them!  😮 I recently read that AOL's main business now is providing service for dial-up users, just like the Old Days.  

OMG, did the experienced Internet users from Academia HATE the AOLers!  :D  (and hated the "commercialization" of the Internet.)

Hmmm, It seems that Compuserve lives on as a Web Portal : The sad remnant of CIS

• Like 1