Is paying for antivirus software worth it?

sincity

Putting a price tag on cyber safety can be difficult. 

Take malware for example - .these sneaky exploits  can sneak  their way onto your devices without you knowing, then  transmit your private information to criminals anywhere in the world. Unfortunately, the end result could be anything from fraudsters emptying your bank account to having  all of your information held hostage until a ransom is paid to access to all your important files again. 

There’s no such things as too much precaution

Just like with real life, being cautious online can prevent a lot of trouble in the long run. However, it’s not foolproof. When your sensitive information is stored somewhere such as a doctor’s office, department store database or credit union, your information is only as safe as the weakest online security these companies use.

Which brings us to the biggest challenge of Internet security – whether  you should choose free or paid-for protection?

ngvZsvnRVhUZRr6k7RAvHF.jpeg

Free antivirus software

Yes, it’s free and you’ve saved some cash in the process, which may help if you are on a tight budget. But remember there is no such thing as a free lunch, and free antivirus software often comes with its own baggage.

While most free antivirus software comes with good ratings, often there is only so much it can do. Many services  will provide you the basic level protection needed, meaning you may have to upgrade to the paid software version to get fully comprehensive coverage. Free software may not always be able to keep up with the dynamic changes in the cyber landscape or may also come loaded with annoying pop-up advertisements that can slow your device.

There is also the potential risk of disclosing your personal information and leaving your device open at the mercy of a free service. With many of us storing  sensitive transactions, irreplaceable photos and files reside on personal devices, placing your trust in a free service could be putting too much at stake.

The benefit of paid antivirus software

Paid antivirus software solutions often have a lot to offer. Many services feature not only the latest threat protection and excellent customer support, but defence against hackers, viruses, spyware and malware,  as well as safeguarding your identity and online transactions. When you subscribe to a service like Norton Security you get protection for up to five  devices, whether you have a smartphone, tablet, laptop or PC. You can also monitor and control your level of protection from an easy to use interface

It is popularly believed that paid antivirus is for people who use their devices for more complex and high-end tasks. However, cybercriminals are not just only eyeing up your PC any more. They are after the vast amount of private information on all your devices whether it’s a smartphone, tablet laptop or PC, from where they can steal your money, your most private information or maybe even your identity.

That abandoned email address or old online photo gallery from 10 years ago may seem unimportant to you, but it can fetch a high price on the underground economy. With new threats like spyware, malware, ransomware and data breaches everyone is at risk of becoming a prime target for cybercrime irrespective of how tech savvy they are. The best defence is to invest in a trusted security suite that offers comprehensive protection and excellent customer support.

RzzoX4YfZuT9iktzBdJQXH.jpeg

Free or Paid - What’s best for you?

When it comes to cyber safety, buying an antivirus security suite is a small price to pay. With the potential to spend countless hours and incur a large financial cost trying to fix what was lost due to security oversight, purchasing a reputable security suite seems like the best option. Letting the experts use state of the art technology to fight new threats for a small amount seems like the logical thing to do.

Learn more about the security options Norton Security can give you. 

kreBdm3bkC0

View the full article

4 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

Heck no. Windows Defender is all you need with a periodic scan of Malwarebytes free version

meh. depends on your level of experience/expertise/comfortableness with computers. I will absolutely always put an antivirus on some old couple's computer. I won't ever install one on my own

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Platinum VIP
2 hours ago, Symfony said:

meh. depends on your level of experience/expertise/comfortableness with computers. I will absolutely always put an antivirus on some old couple's computer. I won't ever install one on my own

There is always an exception to every rule. But you are correct, some people don’t know that you shouldn’t Click on pop-ups and believe warnings about your computer being infected on random websites

• Like 1

I'm with hipkat I just use defender and scan with malwarebytes now and again and might even push the boat out with a few anti root kit tools etc once in a blue moon.

Thing with anti virus is that they don't actually stop the virus getting on your PC they just tell you you have one etc by which time its too fooking late either way. Paid services like Norton/Mcafee etc are all just resource hungry wastes of time IMHO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snuffs99 said:

I'm with hipkat I just use defender and scan with malwarebytes now and again and might even push the boat out with a few anti root kit tools etc once in a blue moon.

Thing with anti virus is that they don't actually stop the virus getting on your PC they just tell you you have one etc by which time its too fooking late either way. Paid services like Norton/Mcafee etc are all just resource hungry wastes of time IMHO.

a good AV will screen files and sites as well. 

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Symfony said:

a good AV will screen files and sites as well. 

Your correct but they still don't stop viruses getting on your PC, as soon as you visit any webpage that page is cached and pictures etc are saved to temp folders etc, some bugs can then force themselves in to other folders from there. 

If i lost my internet connection right this second i would still see this very page as its cached and all images are in temp folders etc on my PC.

AV screening screens the temp folders but they are still on your PC,,,,sure they may well detect a virus and remove it before its spread from said temp folders but either way its still on your PC.

Its why the likes of windows screensafe blocks sites with a red screen before the pages are displayed (warning its unsafe to continue any further), obviously if you heed the warning and don't continue your safe but once you continue past that red block screen everything you see in your browser is on your PC.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 1