Coming soon: The AMD Fusionâ„¢ Family of APUs

thundercunt

Fusion basically combines the central processing unit (CPU), graphics processing unit (GPU), video processing and other accelerator capabilities in a single-die design. This is a much more sophisticated approach than Intel's at present, which adds a separate 45nm GPU to the processor package.

Read more about AMD Fusion http://sites.amd.com/us/fusion/APU/Pages/fusion.aspx

AMD said it is working with several companies to optimize software for its APUs, and announced the AMD Fusion Fund to jump start this effort. http://sites.amd.com/us/fusion/apu/pages/fusionfund.aspx

Its more like the reinvention of intergrated graphics. It isn't going to wow people with its graphics processing ability, but I can see it being used in laptops (considering that most slim laptops have no room to fit a GPU)

Its more like the reinvention of intergrated graphics. It isn't going to wow people with its graphics processing ability, but I can see it being used in laptops (considering that most slim laptops have no room to fit a GPU)

I'll be honest, I thinking/hoping that the graphics performance will be somewhat improved simply because they are taking alot of bus across the motherboard out of the equation. Still it's hard to say without getting some concrete benchmarks. Your probably right though Onion...the reaction will be like "Oooo....Ahhhhh...eh!" when it's benched.

Still a really interesting design idea. Now if they could just implement this into cell phones...SWEET!

I'll be honest, I thinking/hoping that the graphics performance will be somewhat improved simply because they are taking alot of bus across the motherboard out of the equation. Still it's hard to say without getting some concrete benchmarks. Your probably right though Onion...the reaction will be like "Oooo....Ahhhhh...eh!" when it's benched.

Still a really interesting design idea. Now if they could just implement this into cell phones...SWEET!

I am more concerned with how hot it will get and how much power you will need to put into the motherboard to run the CPU/GPU. Lol if the GPU portion can perform as well as a external GPU, then imagine how much power you got to shove in there (and imagine the heat booyah !)

I am more concerned with how hot it will get and how much power you will need to put into the motherboard to run the CPU/GPU. Lol if the GPU portion can perform as well as a external GPU, then imagine how much power you got to shove in there (and imagine the heat booyah !)

It's like Pentium 4 all over again....just think of how long it will keep your coffee warm.

I honestly don't think the thermal profile will be that bad. Then again I'm 3 sheets to the wind at the moment and really need to stop posting.

A4 chip developed by apple is being used in the ipad and iphone 4. its a APU designed for minimum power consumption and decent processing capabilities.

old news !!

intels sandy bridge something similar to amd fusion is launching in december !!!!

amds fusion is not gonna work as it wont have seperate dedicated graphics memory unless they change their architecure and put an extra slot on the motherboard to plug in gddr4 or gddr5 for gpu

dont expect the performance anything similar to the dedicated graphics cards available today

putin gpu on cpu is goin to be a failure

but if they put cpu on gpu then that would be huge !!!

intels sandybridge benchmarks are already on internet and they are impressive but doesnt mention anything about gaming !!

what i am waiting for is intels haswell !!!! now thats gonna be a real turnaround for chip industry.

its a gpcpu !! :yahoo

cool just like the i3 32 nm process

wrong !!

core i3 has cpu and graphics accelerator inside same package

amd's fusion and intels haswell are cpu and gpu on same die !!

for beginners--

putting two seperately manufactured chips fused together is a package

implementing both chips on same wafer during manufacturing process is a die

:yahoo

heat isnt going to be an issue

as both the chips from intel and amd are manufactured at 22 and 32 nm processes.

and if they find any heating issues then they will just lower the clock speeds of the chip !!!!

:yahoo

cpu in gpu ? lol does not make sense. might be just gpu.....

hes saying having gpu in a cpu isnt efficient, but if someone could come up with way to get cpu inside a gpu, it would be nice

A4 chip developed by apple is being used in the ipad and iphone 4. its a APU designed for minimum power consumption and decent processing capabilities.

Ah, I just thought the A4 was simply a CPU and they were using something else as the gfx processor, that makes sense though. If I only had time to read the writeups on all these new procs. Thanks for the info Terminator.

Just one question. Where's the market for this. More pad type products? Netbooks? Low power laptops? I haven't been reading up on the latest developments, but perhaps someone can tell me what benefits will be derived from having a gpu/cpu on the same die.

he made that up,

prob referring to having cpu in gpu

i didnt made it up

its wait till dec 2011

gpcpu will be all over the web.

anyways i think the way graphics are rendered and processed today with pixel shader , isnt an efficient way

they need to get rid of triangles and use dots.

unlimited detailed processing is the future

check it out

cpu in gpu ? lol does not make sense. might be just gpu.....

ofcourse it doesnt make sense to you

Bcause u have no idea what happens inside those chips.

but it makes a perfect sense to me !!1 :yahoo

All Clarkdale CPUs i3 come with an IGP (Integrated Graphics Product) on die which means it has a small embedded GPU inside the processor.

imageview.php?image=21508

correction --- IGP is integrated graphics processor or integrated graphics processing unit

second correction -- the chip on the left side has 2 dies. its 1 package

the smaller die is the cpu manufactured at 32 nm

the bigger die is IGP manufactured at 45 nm

both of these dies come from seperate wafers.

the one on right has 1 die