Scandanavian members, answer me this puzzle...

Ol Smoke

I heard this the other day and really couldn't find an answer so I will put it on here.

Santa's reindeer.  Are they female or male?

This person said they were female because the male's lose their antlers in the winter.

Therefore, since all the pictures of the reindeer show them with antlers, then they are females.

Because female reindeer never shed their antlers. But the picture below shows them with antlers, so?

Plus, is there a meaning behind the names? 

Just looking for an answer.

Thank you.

ief9jo.jpg

Right after I posted this, I got an answer from another source.

According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, while both male and  female reindeer grow antlers in the summer each year (the only members of the deer family, Cervidae, to have females that do so), male reindeer drop their  antlers at the beginning of winter, usually late November to mid December.

Female reindeer retain their antlers till after they give birth in the spring.

Therefore, according to every historical rendition depicting Santa's  reindeer, every single one of them, from Rudolf to Blitzen........had to be a female.

We should've known this when they were able to find their way...

• Like 1

Well u got here in "rykimis" time and u will know difference :) 90% of finns dosent know what it means but that's other story :D

male raindeers will bleed blood trought horns and stuff :)

Masa_1964

• Like 1

• Leader

Well u got here in "rykimis" time and u will know difference :) 90% of finns dosent know what it means but that's other story :D

Neither goes Google Translate!  It just repeats the word in English.  "Detect language" says the word is Lithuanian but still won't translate it!  :D

• Leader

rykimäaika -> period of reindeer's rut

:D

Masa_1964

Well, Google recognized the word as being Finnish, but it still wouldn't translate it!  :)

It said that the English "reindeer rut" was "poro kiima" in Finnish,

and that "period of reindeer's rut " = "ajan porojen kiima".  :D