Online map voting

menatwork

Hi,

I've been working for a while on a proposal (and a prototype) to build an online map voting system, blackknight8653 has been extremely supportive with feedback and idea's and most of the "great ideas" are his - so I'd like to thank you here as well. I've been extremely excited to actually post this and I was going to wait until I finished the prototype - but I just couldn't wait anymore! So here it is, the initial proposal.

I'm hopeful people will like what they're reading (and seeing) and send in useful feedback. I already PM'd Daredevil about this and he said that there's only so many players on the site but we could go for it. He also suggested one-page like instagram but for now I've got pagination because it's easier to realize - and we'll need to consider what's better for the user experience (i.e. 500+ maps in the database, auto-adding maps whilst scrolling to the page might be a bit much for the [tech speak!]DOM to handle)

Here are some things taken into consideration:

• Whether the maps can handle the load of many players (i.e. on jay1 with many players);
  • Whether the map causes lag for players or has many bugs/glitches;
  • Whether the maps are generally liked.

Here are some idea's (mostly those blacknight & I discussed - I might not have mentioned everything):

• Reviews (i.e. players can review various maps);
  • Displaying maps in sequences (i.e. 'version 1, 2, 3, 4');
  • Categories (i.e. map sizes; could even introduces categories such as 'etjump', 'objective', 'frag', etc);
  • Compatibility meter for maps (i.e. compatibility of maps determined by map testers, moderators and trusted users - will list whether maps are well made [not buggy]; few glitches, etc..);
  • Allow maps to be uploaded;
  • Scheduling (i.e. admins can say "Start a new round of voting period for Autumn starts at <date>", etc);
  • Automatically generating the server cycles (i.e. mapvoting/objective cycle) + downloadable with all maps neatly packaged up;
  • Single sign on (i.e. instead of "Sign in with Facebook", you'd have something like "Sign in with Fearless Assassin" - users will click 'Sign in with FA' - they'd be redirected here - and then they'll see a page saying "Do you give the map voting app permission to see your username & level?" - level would be required to determine what privileges someone has - this would depend on F|A whether this is possible - there's a huge bonus here though, for instance the map voting app wouldn't need a user system - it'd use FA to authenticate people and people wouldn't need 2 accounts);
  • Rating system (obviously - we might even swap out the "+1"|"-1" with a rating system to determine popularity);
  • There would be a separation of servers, i.e. one could vote a map for Jay1 but it wouldn't vote it for Silent-1 - that would be because different maps might be suitable for different servers.

To show off a bit of the prototype (it's far from complete):

55cdb2051efac-map-list.png

I hope you've got some great feedback.

Thanks for your time!

EDIT: In case you're wondering - I made the Prototype with Django and SQLite as backend. For the 'real' project, I plan on using Django + PostgreSQL. If you're a coder and you've got Python experience and you're interested in teaming up - PM me; I'll send you an invite to the bitbucket repository.

Edited by w00tw00t
  • Like 6

Hi,

I've been working for a while on a proposal (and a prototype) to build an online map voting system, blackknight8653 has been extremely supportive with feedback and idea's and most of the "great ideas" are his - so I'd like to thank you here as well. I've been extremely excited to actually post this and I was going to wait until I finished the prototype - but I just couldn't wait anymore! So here it is, the initial proposal.

I'm hopeful people will like what they're reading (and seeing) and send in useful feedback. I already PM'd Daredevil about this and he said that there's only so many players on the site but we could go for it. He also suggested one-page like instagram but for now I've got pagination because it's easier to realize - and we'll need to consider what's better for the user experience (i.e. 500+ maps in the database, auto-adding maps whilst scrolling to the page might be a bit much for the [tech speak!]DOM to handle)

Here are some things taken into consideration:

• Whether the maps can handle the load of many players (i.e. on jay1 with many players);
  • Whether the map causes lag for players or has many bugs/glitches;
  • Whether the maps are generally liked.

Here are some idea's (mostly those blacknight & I discussed - I might not have mentioned everything):

• Reviews (i.e. players can review various maps);
  • Displaying maps in sequences (i.e. 'version 1, 2, 3, 4');
  • Categories (i.e. map sizes; could even introduces categories such as 'etjump', 'objective', 'frag', etc);
  • Compatibility meter for maps (i.e. compatibility of maps determined by map testers, moderators and trusted users - will list whether maps are well made [not buggy]; few glitches, etc..);
  • Allow maps to be uploaded;
  • Scheduling (i.e. admins can say "Start a new round of voting period for Autumn starts at <date>", etc);
  • Automatically generating the server cycles (i.e. mapvoting/objective cycle) + downloadable with all maps neatly packaged up;
  • Single sign on (i.e. instead of "Sign in with Facebook", you'd have something like "Sign in with Fearless Assassin" - users will click 'Sign in with FA' - they'd be redirected here - and then they'll see a page saying "Do you give the map voting app permission to see your username & level?" - level would be required to determine what privileges someone has - this would depend on F|A whether this is possible - there's a huge bonus here though, for instance the map voting app wouldn't need a user system - it'd use FA to authenticate people and people wouldn't need 2 accounts);
  • Rating system (obviously - we might even swap out the "+1"|"-1" with a rating system to determine popularity);
  • There would be a separation of servers, i.e. one could vote a map for Jay1 but it wouldn't vote it for Silent-1 - that would be because different maps might be suitable for different servers.

To show off a bit of the prototype (it's far from complete):

55cdb2051efac-map-list.png

I hope you've got some great feedback.

Thanks for your time!

EDIT: In case you're wondering - I made the Prototype with Django and SQLite as backend. For the 'real' project, I plan on using Django + PostgreSQL. If you're a coder and you've got Python experience and you're interested in teaming up - PM me; I'll send you an invite to the bitbucket repository.

I must be the first to reply to this topic. :) Congratulations. You have finally manage to showcase your work. :)

Cries. I can only like it once. I am sorry. I would have given more likes if I could. :)

• Like 1

Very neat idea.

It seems it could get be a bit overwhelming to normal users based off of what you have planned, but it has some great potential.

I do know python but I only know what I taught myself so I am sort of limited :P

I have only briefly worked with django only got a hello world page basically.

Either way I may be able to critique your ideas lol

• Like 1

Zelly,

You're right, I do tend to go with Tech speak because it's more natural to me but essentially, I'm hoping that some people will come forward with ideas & suggestions, i.e. things they would like to see.

Once the prototype is complete I'm planning on making the actual version in increments, i.e. "Release early, Release often".

----

The tech speak:

I worked with PHP for years and I can't even begin to describe how much better Python is; it's tricky at times (i.e. when dealing with unicode, bytes, etc) but it's definitely worth the time to learn [i haven't worked it for that long yet; but I love it so much I've actually bought PyCharm professional edition a while ago ha ;-)]. In case you, or anyone else is interested: http://www.diveinto.org/python3/

As for Django - no PHP framework comes close to providing the facilities and ease Django does; I considered Flask for this project - but Django seems to provide more useful facilities in the long run. In case you're curious about Django, there's a tutorial to create a simple "poll application" it's definitely worth trying out. 

I suppose the idea's might be a bit overwhelming - I intend to finish a simple prototype first to guide UX decisions and the likes (i.e. what kind of core functionality is needed; what kind of user interface; what would be the easiest way for users; etc).

• Like 1

Very neat idea.

It seems it could get be a bit overwhelming to normal users based off of what you have planned, but it has some great potential.

I do know python but I only know what I taught myself so I am sort of limited :P

I have only briefly worked with django only got a hello world page basically.

Either way I may be able to critique your ideas lol

It would be a little harsh to do that. You can suggest improvements on his ideas ::P