FPS Problem

Foreigner

I'm posting this for a friend, so I don't know all the details, but if there are any questions I can find out.

He has a HP Pavillion a6750f. He just reinstalled Windows 8.1 (possibly an upgrade from 8.0 - his brother did it and he's not sure) and suddenly has low (like 8-9) FPS. I thought it might be a driver issue, but unfortunately HP doesn't support Windows 8 on that PC. Still, he has some installed (most likely automatically) and I'm thinking that's not the issue.

He also tried reinstalling ET (with a different installer), doing a cvar_restart, and r_primitives 2, as well as some other things I'm sure. It's only taking 20% of his CPU according to task manager, and it's certainly not a memory issue. The sound is also laggy, as is expected with such low FPS. I can't think of anything else to try, so I bring it to you. Thanks for any help!

First guess would be a videocard (GPU) driver. Go to Intel, Nvidia, or AMD's site directly and download the compatible driver. Doesn't matter if HP has an official driver on their site or not. May also try downloading and installing Direct X 9.0c. That has solved some of my issues in the past. Make sure he is running ET in windows xp sp 3 compatibility mode and as an admin. 

First guess would be a videocard (GPU) driver. Go to Intel, Nvidia, or AMD's site directly and download the compatible driver. Doesn't matter if HP has an official driver on their site or not. May also try downloading and installing Direct X 9.0c. That has solved some of my issues in the past. Make sure he is running ET in windows xp sp 3 compatibility mode and as an admin. 

It does have the correct driver. I'll install Direct X 9.0c and try that, but I don't think compatibility mode would be the issue as he ran it fine without doing that in the past.

i have the same issue with windows 8 and et 2.60b where i only get about 10fps. i haven't found a fix yet but i've found that using etlegacy works pretty well on this laptop.

is the GPU AMD or nVidia? i had a similiar issue with CCC. i had 'Wait for Vertical Refresh' ticked. so i unticked it and my frames sky rocketed.

do you mean you set it to "always off"? did you also have to turn off vsync in game with r_swapinterval 0? i'm looking for some tweaks to get et to run a little better on the integrated graphics on my laptop, i have amd CCC.