Help :P

NotYourEggo

Now mind you I didn't click on the items, just browsed your posts, and it has been awhile since I pieced together a PC, but do you need to buy a Heatsink? Or does the CPU or fan automatically come with them now?

CPUs usually have a stock heat sink included. But it is possible to buy ones that cool a lot better. The stock ones usually suck

slightly different build:

Antec 300 case 54.99

seagate barracuda 1tb 7200rpm 99.99

sapphire 7850 249.99

corsair gs800 ps 124.99

G.Skill ripjaws 1600 8gb 46.99

AsRock z68 extreme3 gen3 mb 119.99

i5-2500k cpu 219.99

kingston hyperX 120gb ssd 119.99

grand total 1036

At a dollar per gb, I think it is a good idea to have an ssd. I own that particular model btw, and it flies. Same for the cpu. You'll need to purchase a good heatsink later, or add the coolermaster hyper212 for like 30 bucks now, if you want to overclock. If you can live with only 500gb on your secondary, you ought to be able to fir the cooler in for the same grand total.

Here is a nice heat sink, its the one I have: Cooler Master V6GT

Of course, should make sure you have enough room for it in your case though. It is pretty big

Edited by ajnl

It is always good to have extra Watts. You never know what upgrades may happen in the future.

SSDs save more time than 3 secs. It is nice having an OS on the SSD and the 1TB for games/everything else. That's how I do it at least.

I agree with AJ, if you buy the right SSD it makes a difference in everything the computer does, plus you do now really want to put old (I know regular SATA drives are not really old) technology in your new computer. The SSDs are coming down in price too. I haven't ever heard of ASRock motherboards, I would be a little leery of that. Of course at one time I had never heard of Denon or Marantz audio components either, so who knows. However, it is funny how people will always skimp on the motherboard when it is one of the most important parts of the PC. I have said it in other posts and i will say it again, everything travels on the motherboard. The motherboard is like your nervous system. You can put a great CPU, fast RAM, and an super fast SSD in your computer, but if you connect it all with a crappy motherboard that cannot truly transfer the data (because specs are always max values and don't always mean anything) with high speeds and integrity, you just wasted your money on all of your cool components.

Sure, Asus would have been nice and all, but with a budget you have to cut somewhere, and that board had very good reviews on newegg.

You can have good, fast or cheap, pick any two.

I agree with AJ, if you buy the right SSD it makes a difference in everything the computer does, plus you do now really want to put old (I know regular SATA drives are not really old) technology in your new computer. The SSDs are coming down in price too. I haven't ever heard of ASRock motherboards, I would be a little leery of that. Of course at one time I had never heard of Denon or Marantz audio components either, so who knows. However, it is funny how people will always skimp on the motherboard when it is one of the most important parts of the PC. I have said it in other posts and i will say it again, everything travels on the motherboard. The motherboard is like your nervous system. You can put a great CPU, fast RAM, and an super fast SSD in your computer, but if you connect it all with a crappy motherboard that cannot truly transfer the data (because specs are always max values and don't always mean anything) with high speeds and integrity, you just wasted your money on all of your cool components.

True, but at the same time, you do not need a high end motherboard, to support high end CPUs, video cards, etc. A motherboard will not create a bottle neck, unless you go with a very low end motherboard.

Everything looks pretty good.

OS - Why not buy the OEM version? Save almost $100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

Also, I use this monitor quite a bit for my customers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009241

Have had very good luck with it.

Have fun!

Everything looks pretty good.

OS - Why not buy the OEM version? Save almost $100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

Also, I use this monitor quite a bit for my customers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009241

Have had very good luck with it.

Have fun!

well, he didn't need a monitor. And I believe he is getting win7 from a friend.

Well, those extreme series of ARrock are really nice motherboard for a gentle price...

Although, I have to say I had my fair share of problems with ARrock motherboards in the past... But I used in the last 3 builds one of these ASrock extreme serie motherboards, for now I didn't encountered any problems and pcs run smooth.

But well I never heard of a mobo being the bottleneck of the system...

Btw I would rather save a few bucks on the mobo then I would save a few bucks on my psu (=> never save on your psu and go for an A-brand, those things have the potential to fry all your components :s)

I believe I am getting this monitor http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6297350&CatId=4420

and from what ive read above, it seems like what I have pieced out seems to be okay. Only dispute is over the heatsink ( which I did not plan on buying at this time, will later though. Need to find out how much room i have left in my case) and the SSD. The hard drive I am getting has 2 TB on it so I am not too worried about the whole lack of memory problem. I know that the SSD helps quite a bit with the actual running of the computer so I will pick one of those up around fall time im guessing.

Well.. my dad would not let me buy the parts because he thought it would be a waste of money so I just bought some extra ram for my laptop, an external hard drive and a monitor instead.. thanks for all of the help though

Well.. my dad would not let me buy the parts because he thought it would be a waste of money so I just bought some extra ram for my laptop, an external hard drive and a monitor instead.. thanks for all of the help though

lol que :o, desktop > laptop

But well I never heard of a mobo being the bottleneck of the system...

Btw I would rather save a few bucks on the mobo then I would save a few bucks on my psu (=> never save on your psu and go for an A-brand, those things have the potential to fry all your components :s)

Take almost any off-the-shelf computer (including Dell) with the exact some components as your cool gaming system (CPU, RAM, Graphics, HDD, etc.), assuming you do not have some extreme gaming mobo, and compare the speed of both systems. Your system with a decent mobo will be faster and more stable than the other computer, and the only difference is the mobo. Most major brands skimp on the mobo so they can keep in that low price range to compete. When I refer to these cheep boards I am generally talking about the boards under $60 and Just saying in general you should not skimp there and I here that all of the time from people that just put whatever mobo in, because it really doesn't matter.

Sounds like the ASRock is a decent board. You do still find cheaper (I don't consider $129 a cheap board, so do not read too much into this) components that perform at the same level as their more expensive competitor, maybe this is one of those. My problem with a lot of review sites is that they rate solely on the features of the component and not the quality or reliability.

So Eggo, it looks like you are going to have a nice system. Update us here when you build it and let us know how it is.

Take almost any off-the-shelf computer (including Dell) with the exact some components as your cool gaming system (CPU, RAM, Graphics, HDD, etc.), assuming you do not have some extreme gaming mobo, and compare the speed of both systems. Your system with a decent mobo will be faster and more stable than the other computer, and the only difference is the mobo. Most major brands skimp on the mobo so they can keep in that low price range to compete. When I refer to these cheep boards I am generally talking about the boards under $60 and Just saying in general you should not skimp there and I here that all of the time from people that just put whatever mobo in, because it really doesn't matter.

Sounds like the ASRock is a decent board. You do still find cheaper (I don't consider $129 a cheap board, so do not read too much into this) components that perform at the same level as their more expensive competitor, maybe this is one of those. My problem with a lot of review sites is that they rate solely on the features of the component and not the quality or reliability.

So Eggo, it looks like you are going to have a nice system. Update us here when you build it and let us know how it is.

well yeah, Haven't used a oem pc for years (my first one was one, used it about a year :P) so maybe you right there... Can't really compare, anyway I love my expensive asus rog mobo => gaming mobo (which I got from asus after my other asus mobo fried my cpu=> was a problem caused by transport and handled very well, no complains there)

And I do use mobo of 47 euro (asrock am3+ ones) for (very) low budget pcs that don't have to be fast, no problems there ^^

Edited by DrJoske