RFID Chips... pros and cons

=Death Hunter=

Lets hear your thoughts on the uses of RFID chips. Good? Bad?

I really think they are a bad idea considering the close proximity in which info can be stolen from them. That and I dont wanna wear my tinfoil hat again :)

RFID chips? To be frankly I hate them but I've gotta carry at least 2 in my wallet at all the time.

The worst part is that our new IDs are equipped with a RFID chip and even if the government say those things are safe I don't want to use it for age verification or stuff like that.

RFID for industry is amazing. Real time inventory and ability to track products by ID instantly is a huge technology break through. However, I definitely do not want my personal information stored on them. My badge for work has some info on it, but I doubt it has my home address and definitely does not have banking info on it. That does not bother me.

Human injection of RFID's that store medical records or any other info is asking for somebody to steal your info. I'd stick one in a pet though. :).

RFID for industry is amazing. Real time inventory and ability to track products by ID instantly is a huge technology break through. However, I definitely do not want my personal information stored on them. My badge for work has some info on it, but I doubt it has my home address and definitely does not have banking info on it. That does not bother me.

Human injection of RFID's that store medical records or any other info is asking for somebody to steal your info. I'd stick one in a pet though. :).

My badge for work has one too. I work for military contractor so all my info is prolly on it lol prolly even the average times when i pee

Now, just for the sake of free thinking... if i dont want it in my i.d. can they be deatroyed without showing damage? Magnets? Prolonged sunlight?

rfid in your body? I don't think it's good at all, any type of tracking device I don't like

Sure, having RFIDs in work related objects is totally acceptable for me but the fact that the law here in Germany is forcing you to have RFID chips in your passport and ID is totally bullshit. The system without the crap worked for close to 70 years know but the fact that it's easier now to check your ID with a chip reader is bullshit.

The fact is, having an RFID chip in your work related ID badge is fine because mostly there's only your security clearance saved in it so the ID tells the system if you're allowed to pass the door or not. In once company I worked for there was also your internal ID saved to use your badge in the cantina to prepay" your meal with your loan check but nobody else than the company could use the information on it.

When it comes down to have all your personal info saved on an ID you're forced to keep with you all the time than I hardly deny the use of RFID chips because - if you've got a reader for it - somebody standing close to you can get that information and do a lot of frauds and other stuff with it. As I said earlier our nice government already issued that the new ID is safe and encrypted - that I hardly can believe - while big numbers in security business like the CCC cracked the ID within seconds(!!!) it can't be that of a big deal.

@RFID in pets: No clue where you're from but for dogs in Europe it's necessary to chip them.

Now, just for the sake of free thinking... if i dont want it in my i.d. can they be deatroyed without showing damage? Magnets? Prolonged sunlight?

Nope, that bitches can't be deleted with magnets (maybe very strong ones) or anything else that wouldn't show any damage to them.

RFID is useful for key applications. The info stored on it is really useless unless you know what door it's for. They have RFID equipped vans. So a tradesman can just press a button before they leave a jobsite and the van will take an inventory and tell him if he left any tools behind. http://rfid.thingmagic.com/rfid-blog/?Tag=Tool%20Tracking