Retirement Story- Going out with a (flash)Bang

DontShootMe

As some of you know, my retirement date is looming less than A month away. Working for Uncle Sam has been an honor and has provided me with some of the funniest ans tragic moments in my life. To say the least, its been exciting. Retirement closes in on most people and they know they are riding the gravy train straddling a desk and doing as little as possible. The fates had another plan for me. I believed that Afghanistan was going to be my final career assignment, and as an instructor, I can't say it was too exciting; I was wrong. Saturday, I found myself suiting up and riding with a joint DHS and FBI raid on a storage unit where it was believed that guns, explosives and cash was stored. I was only to be there as a support analyst in the field and do little to nothing till the younger guys secured the situation. The sting/raid fell apart when a second vehicle arrived and caught us moving in. This car sped through the storage facility in a panicked attempt at escape. The call came for support personnel to be ready to intercept and disable the fleeing vehicle. Tack strips and flashbangs are the preferred method for this. The Tack strip was in place on the access road and two of us were in the alley waiting to blind the driver with flashbangs. The driver of the vehicle decided that the iron gate was not an option and burst through the chain link fence- right into the ally I was hiding in. I am a pretty good shot, even under pressure, but I was not holding my gun. To draw my weapon meant I had to do something with the flashbang. The obvious (and in hindsight stupid) choice was to go ahead and deploy it. My flashbang sails down the alley, (a really poorly aimed toss) and looks as if it will hit a wall and discharge behind the oncoming car. To my surprise, it bounces off the wall and sails directly through the passenger window, landing in a guys lap. Flashbangs do not sound nearly so loud when the go off inside a vehicle, but in one instant, every window, except the windshield, blows out and the can loses control and bounces down the ally like an errant pinball. After getting clipped in the ankle by a dumpster they hit, the car stops and every last occupant is out cold.

It amuses me to think that while everything is going wrong and my display of a complete lack of skill, the situation was seized by pure luck and the resolution was everything we could have hoped for. I now have a legacy at DHS of being the screw up that got lucky and stopped a bad situation. Matchbox cars with flashing lights and firecrackers began showing up on my desk Monday morning along with a pinwheel helmet and a roll of bubble wrap. Who says federal agents don't have a sense of humor.

Looks like my retirement gets to start early as I get medical leave for my broken ankle.''

That's what I call going out with a (flash)bang!!

• Like 6

Congratulations on retirement. I'm sorry about the ankle, but it could have been worse, you definitely had luck on your side :) And from the sounds of the story, you served your country well.

Guys like you are the reason we have freedom.

Now it's time to relax and enjoy life. :yahoo

That is incredible! I am happy that you didnt get seriously injured. I am sure that the broken ankle hurts like hell or did when it happened. I have heard it said that "Its better to be lucky than good". I really dont know how much truth is in that statement but on the day of the incident you were both.

+1 for the good guys.