My Antivirus Is An Idiot...

vikegirl

A couple of months ago my antivirus (I use AVG) recognized punkbuster as a virus so it asked me if I wanted to block it... I wasn't paying too much attention at the time because I was pissin around with Facebook or something so I just clicked ok.

Immediately it hit me what I just did so I tried to stop it but it was too late...

Now every time I play ET I have to reset most of my binds and the forward button for my mouse (I use Mouse 1 for my shooting and mouse 2 for walking/moving forward)... It's getting really annoying to have to do this every single time but I will continue to do it because I love my server and my clan and both are worth the effort...

I am wondering if anyone else has or has had this issue and if you found a way to fix it so that you don't have to reload every bind...

The other problem with this issue is that if I am in spec binding all my keys again and the server is pretty much full it will kick me for inactivity. As you can imagine I have to come back in (if there is an open slot) and start the process all over again.

Thanks for any input you guys have!

Hmm this sounds like you are not running ET as an administrator have you tried that. If you would of blocked punkbuster via firewall (that works correctly), then I don't think you would be able to play on the servers all together, so the question is lol.. are you running Et as an administrator? If not try that set your binds up (mouse 2 for walking? not even gonna ask :D) disconnect and see if things are working correctly still.

Try going into your "Virus Vault" and removing it from there if it is there?

Open AVG and then click on:

history>Virus Vault

Also try:

History>Residents Shield

Thanks for the info...You guys rock!

Novice i'm a loosey lefty so I have my run & shoot on the mouse and all my weapons are on the number pad... It actually works out pretty cool since I don't have to hunt all over the keyboard for my weapons... By the way, I do run ET as admin because if I don't, I can't find the server...Strange but true...

I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested removing AVG from your computer and replace it with a better performing Anti-virus. Glad to hear you got it figured out though. Krazie's da man!

A few that come to mind:

Free:

Avira

Avast

MS Security Essentials

Paid:

Eeset Nod32

Kapersky

Mcafee

Norton

Hrm. Here's my 2 cents.

Most of the time I run with an AV off simply b/c I've been dealing with PC's so long I know most of the mistakes made that sucker you into getting your PC infected.

The AV's I posted are my personal favorites, and as of I believe it was May/June of this year I read a white paper comparing them. They all did quite well, but the free ones I listed excelled at virus/heuristics detection over the various others available. Personally I don't like Norton/Mcafee for various reasons and years of dealing with their shitty programming has given me cause to look elsewhere.

Of the free ones, Avast is a great AV, but it's fairly resource heavy (sucks up alot of RAM) and isn't the fastest scanner of the bunch. Avira has excellent detection statistics, a fast scanner but isn't as feature rich as Avast. MS Security Essentials I haven't tried lately, but rated high in detection statistics although it was one of the slow scanners of the bunch. If you would like VikeGirl, I'll be happy to send you the PDF and you can check it out for yourself. B)

I'm sure others have their preferences, but these have worked for me thus far. If your happy with AVG..then by all means dont' mess with a good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

my opinion AVG is a Piece Of S**T. almost as bad as a virus itself.

McAfee used to be good but the program doesnt remove viruses anymore if you get one. Have to pay extra to have network associates remove viruses from your computer.

I use Microcsoft security essentials, I mean who knows windows better. Their tech support will help you remove a virus.

My son prefers Avast. I dont use it because you cant turn it off if you want to.

(todays rant)