Bradley Manning tortured in millitary prison for Wikileaks leak

Chuckun

I know some of you are sceptical as to how much of an effect petitions have, but it can't do any harm can it, and it takes like 3 seconds..

Right now, Wikileaks whistleblower Bradley Manning is being tortured in a US military prison. Manning is subjected to utter isolation that can drive many people insane, with short periods each day where he is stripped naked and abused by jeering inmates.

Manning is awaiting trial for releasing secret military documents to Wikileaks – including a video of US soldiers massacring Iraqi civilians. And his brutal treatment appears to be part of an intimidation campaign to silence whistleblowers and crack down on Wikileaks. The US government is split on this issue, with diplomats publicly criticizing the military for Manning's treatment, but President Obama has stood aside so far.

Obama cares about the US's global reputation - we need to show him that it's at stake here. Let's build a massive global call to the US government to stop torturing Manning and uphold the law. Sign the petition below -- our message will be delivered through hard-hitting ads and actions in Washington DC as soon as we reach 250,000 signatures.

On paper the United States opposes torture. The US Constitution forbids “cruel and unusual punishment". And, along with almost a hundred other countries, the US has signed an international convention promising to treat all prisoners “with humanity and with respect for the inherent dignity of the human person”. But today, Bradley Manning is utterly isolated in a cell without sheets, not allowed to exercise and is being subjected to brutal humiliation that is causing serious mental harm. This violates US and international law.

Bradley is being held under 'prevention of injury' status despite 16 reports from military mental health professionals that he should be removed from these severe conditions. His lawyers are trying to enforce his basic Constitutional and international human rights in court, but so far the military tribunal responsible for Bradley’s fate has ignored his suffering.

There has been a crack down on Wikileaks since the explosive revelations of US military crimes in Afghanistan and Iraq. Many speculate that this brutal pressure on Bradley is intended to force him to implicate WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. But Obama promised Americans and the world that he would protect, not persecute, whistleblowers:

"Often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled."

Bradley's cruel treatment does the opposite and sends a chilling message to others who may want to expose important information. Let's act quickly to put massive international pressure on the United States government to honor its commitment to human rights and the protection of whistleblowers and end the shockingly cruel treatment of their own citizen. Sign the petition below:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/bradley_manning/?cl=1008012300&v=8793

I agree that he shouldn't be tortured in prison. But putting something like that on wikileaks is also not the right way to go about it.

I agree that he shouldn't be tortured in prison. But putting something like that on wikileaks is also not the right way to go about it.

Putting things like that is the best use of wikileaks. Sure, it's not right that people would want to watch that shit, but it's right that the bastards should be exposed for what they did..

Posting personal data of celebrities and petty shit like that, shouldn't be 'leaked' on there.. But stuff like this which shows people up to be what they really are, should be - and if Obama has an ounce of respectability in him, he'd stand by what he said about encouraging the exposure of such things.. I can't believe he's thus far turned a blind eye..

I understand how you feel Joe, he is a traitor, and I can't pretend he's not.. But if they've abused their power in such a way, people should know, IMO.. It shouldn't be allowed to be swept under the carpet and gotten away with.. People can't just do whatever they like..

If Manning is to suffer the consequences of his actions, those he exposed should suffer the consequences of what they did too.. Surely?

• Administrators

I understand how you feel Joe, he is a traitor, and I can't pretend he's not.. But if they've abused their power in such a way, people should know, IMO.. It shouldn't be allowed to be swept under the carpet and gotten away with.. People can't just do whatever they like..

If Manning is to suffer the consequences of his actions, those he exposed should suffer the consequences of what they did too.. Surely?

IMO any person that thinks that freedom of speech/information should be put above the security and safety of tens of thousands of people should be executed. Trust me he is getting off easily. And anyone that has compassion for him should have their head examined. It seems to me there are countless people out there who are misinformed or just cannot comprenhand the severity of the situation. Maybe I see things in different light because of the way certain events influenced my life. "People can't just do whatever they like" is correct, that is why he is being treated the way it is.

IMO any person that thinks that freedom of speech/information should be put above the security and safety of tens of thousands of people should be executed. Trust me he is getting off easily. And anyone that has compassion for him should have their head examined. It seems to me there are countless people out there who are misinformed or just cannot comprenhand the severity of the situation. Maybe I see things in different light because of the way certain events influenced my life. "People can't just do whatever they like" is correct, that is why he is being treated the way it is.

I do understand that, secret millitary documents etc are secret, and thus, he should be punished - but solitary for so long without conviction is wrong. By law, yes Manning should be punished, but by law, so should those he exposed.. He was merely exposing the filth.. And yeah, legally he f***ed himself over.. But if noone 'leaked' shit like this, then people COULD just do whatever they like..

I do see where you're coming from, and I'm not by any means trying to change the way you think :P I'm just pointing out that such things should be exposed.. And if that means someone is breaking the law by doing so, then they should expect legal punishment.. But the current situation they've got him in is bizarre.. And in my way of thinking, it's deliberately cruel punishment for 'shaming' the millitary, when in fact, it was those whos actions were leaked that shamed them..

• Administrators

I do understand that, secret millitary documents etc are secret, and thus, he should be punished - but solitary for so long without conviction is wrong. By law, yes Manning should be punished, but by law, so should those he exposed.. He was merely exposing the filth.. And yeah, legally he f***ed himself over.. But if noone 'leaked' shit like this, then people COULD just do whatever they like..

I do see where you're coming from, and I'm not by any means trying to change the way you think :P I'm just pointing out that such things should be exposed.. And if that means someone is breaking the law by doing so, then they should expect legal punishment.. But the current situation they've got him in is bizarre.. And in my way of thinking, it's deliberately cruel punishment for 'shaming' the millitary, when in fact, it was those whos actions were leaked that shamed them..

He exposed more then that, you seem to be focused on a tidbit of info about certain elements not conforming and obeying by established rules and doings some questionable stuff, but lets face it he put other military and civilian personel in danger. Please try to see the bigger picture here, he might have put you in danger by exposing some sensative info about British soft targets.

He exposed more then that, you seem to be focused on a tidbit of info about certain elements not conforming and obeying by established rules and doings some questionable stuff, but lets face it he put other military and civilian personel in danger. Please try to see the bigger picture here, he might have put you in danger by exposing some sensative info about British soft targets.

I admit, I am indeed focusing mostly on the small section you pointed out, but I am aware of the possible dangers the leak could cause.. After the Libya no fly zone thing, I think carefully any try to do at least some research before putting my name to anything.. I don't agree with what he did on the whole.. I agree that the people he exposed should be exposed, that's all. And as for releasing sensitive information along with that, I agree, that's not acceptable, and he knew it, and thus, should be punished by law.. But the punishments he's receiving are not standard protocol. He's not even been convicted yet, and he's getting more severe punishment than he will when he is convicted.. All I desire is for standard protocol to be followed.. By the millitary, and by the judicial system..

I'm not disputing that he shouldn't be punished by any means.. I'm just against the 'exception' that's quietly been created in terms of acceptable punishment in this case..

Let the little traitor b*** suffer.

I agree more with this statement. lol.

Putting things like that is the best use of wikileaks. Sure, it's not right that people would want to watch that shit, but it's right that the bastards should be exposed for what they did..

Posting personal data of celebrities and petty shit like that, shouldn't be 'leaked' on there.. But stuff like this which shows people up to be what they really are, should be - and if Obama has an ounce of respectability in him, he'd stand by what he said about encouraging the exposure of such things.. I can't believe he's thus far turned a blind eye..

Umm no. There are other ways to do it, than put it on the internet. Especially when ppl can be compromised. Ppl who didn't even do anything "wrong".