College Degrees

G!NG3R420

Okay, So I have been trying to do research on this subject but I cant find basic information pertaining to the issue.

In order for me to become an officer in the army. I need a 4 year degree. I have 70 units that are automotive based and I doubt that is gonna help me at all. I want to find a degree that has something to do with automotive that offers a 4 year degree. If there is nothing of that sort then what would be the easiest 4 year degree to complete and what is usually required course wise to make that happen? I do have some General Education classes that may transfer to a university. Basically I would like help in understanding how exactly to achieve the goal I want to set. Can anyone give an intelligent response that may help me decide what is best for me? Remember this is education based in the USA (not sure if it differs from state to state or not).

Hard to guess blind on this without knowing what your strong areas are but if I had to make a guess I would say Automotive Engineering. It is basically a four year engineering degree with a special focus on..... you guessed it Automobiles. Here is a link with some information on the job. I am not sure where schools are located for it but that should't be too hard to find.

http://www.ulinks.com/engineering/automotiveengineeringdegree-automotiveengineeringcollegesschools.htm

Okay, So I have been trying to do research on this subject but I cant find basic information pertaining to the issue.

In order for me to become an officer in the army. I need a 4 year degree. I have 70 units that are automotive based and I doubt that is gonna help me at all. I want to find a degree that has something to do with automotive that offers a 4 year degree. If there is nothing of that sort then what would be the easiest 4 year degree to complete and what is usually required course wise to make that happen? I do have some General Education classes that may transfer to a university. Basically I would like help in understanding how exactly to achieve the goal I want to set. Can anyone give an intelligent response that may help me decide what is best for me? Remember this is education based in the USA (not sure if it differs from state to state or not).

Well normally the easiest degree to complete is the one you have the most interest in. I cant think of any degrees that are 4 years and are directly related to automotives. Perhaps a mechanical engineering, but that is far from an easy road. Your best bet is to surf though university websites and just browse through their programs until you find something that sparks your attention.

Oh and pick a program with a ton of chicks. It helps lol

Communications is always said to be the easiest degree. If not 4 years in Automotive though why not go for a business degree so that you could manage a crew or even run a shop? Just a thought but I always look for ways that I could add to my current position and grow professionally.

If you're interested in autos why even get a four-year degree. Get your CAT (Certified Auto Technician), which should take two years, and then you can get a job doing something you like. You'll probably make $30-40 grand a year with a CAT, more than an Air Force officer, and with much less stress.

Auto detailing is a lot of fun and you can make good money in most major cities of the US with it. You can do that on the side at your garage at home.

Don't waste your time and run up a bunch of debt studying communications or psychology or that useless stuff. Trust me I know a hundred people with Bachelors degrees and Masters degrees who can't get jobs, or are working at something they would have required a GED for ten years ago.

If you really want to learn about those subjects get some books and read about them on your own time.

I have several veterans in my family, most of them were not happy when they were in, except my uncle Johnny, who got to shoot "terrorists" (i.e. anyone who came into his field of vision) as a helicopter gunner in Iraq. My dad hated it and came home crazy 40 years ago. A lot of veterans have trouble re-adjusting to civilian life.

My grandfather on my mom's side actually sat me down and talked me out of going into the USAF (I was going to be an officer after I graduated from college with my BS degree and could not find a "real" job). He spent his days doing mind-numbing paperwork as fast as humanly possible, and staring at a 1975 computer for half the money of what he would have made as a civilian. He stayed in because he got his 20-year pension, and he got free health insurance for his family as long as he was in after he retired. He worked as a civilian contractor (got to keep his rank though) after he retired after the first twenty years. So, it was a good gig for him, but he hated it and was stuck in it for the rest of his life.

If you really want to be an officer, then you can join the ROTC program at most schools and they will help with the tuition and get you involved with the right people so you can make a good transition to the military after you graduate.

You can also join the Air Force academy and get a great education for free.

• Like 3

@Phantasm: My purpose for wanting a degree is to be an officer for the Army. I am already in so the ROTC path is sorta out of the question. I really dont care if the degree is in Auto or not, I was just trying to see if I can make use of my credits already earned. The degree is just for the degree, not that I really want much to do with It. I'm just looking for options to grab that degree and hopefully use some of my credits already earned towards it which is why I mentioned the auto engineering course. From my understanding the only way to be accepted for Officer training after enlisting is to hold a degree. Either way, I still would like to have some type of degree to say I earned one. This is still all tentative. I was just looking to see what my options were for a higher degree since I have never really understood the whole college lifestyle thing.

As half of a long shot, I bet they would really look highly on following a path like http://www.ehow.com/list_6902118_degrees-diesel-technology.html

As a diesel tech, you'll already be qualified to work on pretty much any ground based vehicle on the field (I also would suggest taking a few courses in gas engines if you haven't already). I wouldn't doubt that they could use some officers who can show their techs a thing or two.

That... and how cool would it be to work on a freaking tank?

A tank is classified as a Track Vehicle, but yeah, it would be cool. There are just so many options for school but I dont know which one would be best to pursue. I've already pretty much wasted 2 years in college. I just dont want to waste the time if Its not something that I can use.

I think it depends on the university if credits count towards a degree, assuming your current credits are at the university you want to attend then it shouldn't be a problem, just a quick registrar meeting. If the credit units were from another university then you might need to check and see which school takes the ones you already have. Regarding which 'easy' degree to get, as *Evil*Thuggin mentioned, I would look for a pattern in past coursework you've completed, determine which courses you enjoyed the most and performed well in and see if a major fits the pattern. You might also want to discuss with the Army the major that would help you become the best officer. Just my 2cents.

I finished my EMT Basic and got my certification. I'll be going back to school for my Intermediate and Paramedic. The reason I chose this field is because it averages a 4% growth per year where everything else seems to be on the decline. This won't only help you achieve your goal in the army, but it may be a career that you want to get into when you're out. It's great pay and great benefits. Idk how it will be where you are, but the pay here is: EMT-Basics $15/hr, EMT-Intermediates $17/hr. EMT-Paramedics $20/hr. This figure is based off starting salary. I doubt you'll find similar pay grades doing other things that require such little schooling. I hope this helped. Good luck!

Edited by Disco

There are a couple of ways to become an officer. OCS: Officer Candidate School is an option for enlisted soldiers who want to become officers. https://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/199th/ocs/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officer_Candidate_School_(U.S._Army)

You could also take a break in service & attend a traditional university, or a Technical College. Pennsylvania College of Technology (www.PCT.edu) is very military friendly, and is a Penn State School. They were not so great at converting my military experiencing to college credit, so it might behoove you to find an online school that Penn college accepts credits from, and enroll there and have them convert those credits.

A lot of the online universities that advertise in the Army Times are likely to convert your credits, if all you want is the bachelors. The education adviser on your post at the Learning (or Education Center) should be able to provide you with guidance.

American Military University (AMU)

Another outstanding resource is Military One Source. You can create an account on their website, and email them your issue, and they well get back to you with answers. IT can be any problem, from needing to find a contractor, to a babysitter, to counseling that is done outside of the military for you or your spouse. (including marriage counseling). You can even get interpretation services (IE German to English) right over the phone. I personally have never used their website, I always call them. 1-800-342-9647. If you are in the service and you haven't called them for something, you're wrong. They are subject mater experts.

- SGT Kane 68W20 NREMT-P

I finished my EMT Basic and got my certification. I'll be going back to school for my Intermediate and Paramedic. The reason I chose this field is because it averages a 4% growth per year where everything else seems to be on the decline. This won't only help you achieve your goal in the army, but it may be a career that you want to get into when you're out. It's great pay and great benefits. Idk how it will be where you are, but the pay here is: EMT-Basics $15/hr, EMT-Intermediates $17/hr. EMT-Paramedics $20/hr. This figure is based off starting salary. I doubt you'll find similar pay grades doing other things that require such little schooling. I hope this helped. Good luck!

Really dude?

EMTs 8 to 12.

EMT-I: Not recognized, and really is a waste IMO.

Paramedics 13 -15. I know one places that pays more (17), but they are busy, with a wealthy and highly educated population.

Edited by Medic Kane

@Phantasm: My purpose for wanting a degree is to be an officer for the Army. I am already in so the ROTC path is sorta out of the question. I really dont care if the degree is in Auto or not, I was just trying to see if I can make use of my credits already earned. The degree is just for the degree, not that I really want much to do with It. I'm just looking for options to grab that degree and hopefully use some of my credits already earned towards it which is why I mentioned the auto engineering course. From my understanding the only way to be accepted for Officer training after enlisting is to hold a degree. Either way, I still would like to have some type of degree to say I earned one. This is still all tentative. I was just looking to see what my options were for a higher degree since I have never really understood the whole college lifestyle thing.

Thanks for clarifying your intention. I was mistaken and assumed you were a "car guy" (I know a few) who wanted to go in the military. Anyway, if you're already in and you want to make a career out of it, and you don't care what the degree is you just need anything so you can be an officer, then do the exact opposite of my earlier advice. Get a liberal arts degree in something easy, whatever is easy for you. The Army will pay for most of it anyway. You could take communications or sociology and tell the Army that you think it will help you be a more effective leader.