Can some one please help me, I'm making a map :D

laggermcjagger

Access is denied to check this software not sure what it is just shows a blank page.

The best way to make maps is what makes you feel comfortable going different routes to build models is okay there are many different ways but it comes down to importing .md3 just be sure to use misc_gamemodel for it wont count towards entities list.

The big long spikes is vertical angles made when the tri angles aren't correct you will see this happen if it is built with face sides touching or stretched beyond the lod form from using a model editing tool. Best to import the .md3 to Milkshape 3d and look there milkshape will show the angles correctly. Also this can be related to the splines being over lapped the little snippet dots that you can move around on the models to change shapes if two vertices cross paths on faces they will stretch.

I ran into a problem, that I'm working towards fixing now. Come to think of it, if you know how I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to figure it out, but I don't need to search if you have the answer. I tried adding another model, but Milkshape crashes. When I try to save to .md3 in other programs it says too many faces in one group. I believe that the issue is that the model is too complex for .md3 format. So I'm looking for a way to simplify faces. I think that it has too many triangles, faces...When I subdivide to add other groups, it states, for md3 all faces must be in the same group. I've already added a model to my map, md3 format, with alot less faces. 

I'm using 3Dstudio max, I have a student license good until 2020, absolutely free. The web site I shared with you is a free program to rig your model, absolutely free and it allows you to export to obj format. 

I'm attempting to add a plugin to 3D S Max to export in md3 format. But, if you know of a way to fix this in milkshape or blender I'd appreciate the help...or if you don't think that's the problem, I'm all eyes. Thanks! 

Edited by laggermcjagger

There is a Xamount of vertices you can use. Not sure if you feel like counting but it's something around 1000 also keep in mind you can scale the model with modelscale as key word in gtkradiant. I'd have to look for the total but Im sure it's not high to how many vertical angles you can use. To help understand it's the total amount of lines showing in the program. Boxes have 2 vertices on each side so 8 for a box hehe 12 my bad. This number is what keeps milkshape from opening it's pertty much built to make by default the xamount of limits as I said before each program has it's flaws this is just one you have to work around. Split the model make more md3 models to make one.

Edited by DoubleDragon
  • Like 1

There is a Xamount of vertices you can use. Not sure if you feel like counting but it's something around 1000 also keep in mind you can scale the model with modelscale as key word in gtkradiant. I'd have to look for the total but Im sure it's not high to how many vertical angles you can use. To help understand it's the total amount of lines showing in the program. Boxes have 2 vertices on each side so 8 for a box hehe 12 my bad. This number is what keeps milkshape from opening it's pertty much built to make by default the xamount of limits as I said before each program has it's flaws this is just one you have to work around. Split the model make more md3 models to make one.

Splitting was easy... Want to slap myself now. :D

Edited by laggermcjagger

Sorry for so many updates but I've been hard at work with my first model, after which I finish I'll have to start considering using a light map for my map. I thought I had textures figured out with my models as the first one turned out perfectly. But with these other models, it's not working. For the one I just get a bright orange color and nothing I do seems to be working. I followed the video closely several times... No luck correcting it. The textures seem to load in radiant, but without shaders... and in game the one is orange. Strange enough the first model I textured looks great... but I can't say the same of any of my other models in the map. 

When generating the model you generate a qc file before saving and you give these textures the directory for each image before exporting the model. Models don't require a shader really. If your unsure if your md3 file has the correct paths just open it with a notepad preferably a notepad for coding like notepad++ and open that md3 and look for image paths that is the absolute directory to finding out if you have properly set it you can't change the md3 file but you can look at it. If you have set it accordingly the image it self is not set to the right specifications to render it. The only reason I used a skin file was to force the images to the model if you decide to use a shader file you must be sure to add the shader file name to the default shader list text file any where as long as you know it's there.

It's okay to follow up your work I think. Kinda sure people spam here for lesser reasons.

• Like 1

I know this is my first map and I have a lot on my hands, but would it be possible to make a "magic portal" that teleports players from one location to another? This isn't a star trek map :D But, I'm wondering if I can essentially make some sort of teleporter?

I'm open to ideas, if not I have a possible solution, the "portal" can simply kill those who enter it and relocate their spawn to the other side. 

Edited by laggermcjagger

I think I can map Willie's room, I'm going over how I would approach it. I got to say, it looks to be very time consuming. :D But I feel like I could do it, but who has that kind of time. I hope I do...Another thing is I'm always learning, getting better and wanting to go back and start over... 

Edited by laggermcjagger

Important question do I put my models for my map into my mapobjects/ mapname/ 

Or mapobjects/ modelname 

?

Thank you. 

ETmain/ models/ mapobjects/ modelname/ model.md3   model.tga

or

Etmain/ models/ mapobjects/ mapname/ model.md3  model.tga

?

Edited by laggermcjagger

Milkshape actually isn't what I'm going to use. Unless I can figure this out. I have other programs on my computer when I export them as md3 in Milkshape it says too many vertices, game crashes...but when I do so in my other software, there are no apparent loses in quality and the game doesn't crash. 

Etmain/models/mapobjects/mapname/model.md3  

Etmain/models/mapobjects/mapname/model.ms3d 

Etmain/models/mapobjects/mapname/model.tga

Etmain/models/mapobjects/mapname/model.skin

in theory tho you can place it anywhere in the etmain as long as gtk has the same directory your placing the md3 in key cause etmain is root of final build map.pk3 // sometimes it's bugged until pk3 is built this use to be a problem with GTK 1.4

so like if it's just a folder called model name of a folder for instance you can just use a folder name it place it in etmain and fill it with models and pictures. You are somewhat close your getting it tho. 

As for building the models besure to check the same path for the model in the building application for object name and assign a texture to it milkshape uses qc to control it just make sure the path is correct in the md3 from a notepad. 

give me the application your prefering and will try and make a simple video for it.

• Like 1

Maybe this will give you portal view understand while importing maps as models vrs md3 models vrs vis data https://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/idtech/make-models-from-bsp-maps-or-brushes-advanced.php

there is also a way to convert md3 to .map files with ase text documents as shaders but to tired to go on today but here's a good place to pick up some info same things just at home page https://www.katsbits.com/tutorials

have good day :)

Edited by DoubleDragon
  • Like 1

Etmain/models/mapobjects/mapname/model.md3  

Etmain/models/mapobjects/mapname/model.ms3d 

Etmain/models/mapobjects/mapname/model.tga

Etmain/models/mapobjects/mapname/model.skin

in theory tho you can place it anywhere in the etmain as long as gtk has the same directory your placing the md3 in key cause etmain is root of final build map.pk3 // sometimes it's bugged until pk3 is built this use to be a problem with GTK 1.4

so like if it's just a folder called model name of a folder for instance you can just use a folder name it place it in etmain and fill it with models and pictures. You are somewhat close your getting it tho. 

As for building the models besure to check the same path for the model in the building application for object name and assign a texture to it milkshape uses qc to control it just make sure the path is correct in the md3 from a notepad. 

give me the application your prefering and will try and make a simple video for it.

Well, to be honest I'm really confused. Because it loads some times and then it doesn't. I don't know what I'm doing, what do I know? Milkshape is probably fine, but some times I go to something else and it works for a turn. I haven't found out how to do textures yet in Misfit Model 3D and I'm really confused why at times it would do the job, and then not at others. It's strange, because it seems that Enemy territory is fine with the model some times but not all the time. It's confusing.

Misfit Model 3D is an old school program, I'd be fine with anything you recommend, if you recommend I stick to Milkshape, what do I know? I'll stick with it then. :D I'm just experimenting. It's really strange to me that it says too many vertices some times, but not always...? Also, I'm not sure why the model is so huge in size. It's really strange because ET seems to accept certain models some of the time, but not always. 

I'd just be happy to get my models into the map with textures. I've stressed enough over it tonight though. I think Milkshape will work just fine with most of the room design. The only thing that's really going to be difficult for me to model is the statues in the room. I'm sure an experienced mapper such as yourself doesn't have a problem with  Milkshape.

It's just hard for a beginner to know how many vertices he's up to, and then I LOVE Milkshape and the other softwares, but they each have glitches and crash and need to be reloaded on occasion.  I'm going to work on the room tonight some. But of course I want to continue work on the statues. The statues require the most vertices out of anything in the room, hands down. The rest shouldn't be an issue... and I can even map some of the models in GTKradiant itself. 

You're incredible, the newbee mapping community needs more people like you. I couldn't ask for a better helping hand. 

I love your video tutorials. Very helpful. No major issues, it's just a question of organizing my files and following what you show me. 

You've already helped me quite a bit. I'm feeling like I can do this. But :D I know I'm going to need your help a few times before I finish if I keep at it. I'd love to post screen shots of my model progress but... I got to admit as a newbee modeling has it's draw backs. The room will be easy though I already have it planned out in my head. 

Maybe this will give you portal view understand while importing maps as models vrs md3 models vrs vis data https://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/idtech/make-models-from-bsp-maps-or-brushes-advanced.php

there is also a way to convert md3 to .map files with ase text documents as shaders but to tired to go on today but here's a good place to pick up some info same things just at home page https://www.katsbits.com/tutorials

have good day :)

That's awesome. You can do so much with these programs. Mapping is fun, and there's never just one way to go about it. I love how many ways there are to do the same thing. ( Well when it comes to creating anyways.) 

Edited by laggermcjagger
  • Like 1