Minecraft new update

supersnipergirl

Well, getting a large population in a Minecraft server is like hitting the lottery; it doesn't happen often at all. You can help your odds by putting more effort into it with advertising, but even so, it's quite difficult. Especially when you have just a survival server like ours. 

Due to the easiness of making a Minecraft server, it allows anyone to make it. And because of this, there are tens of thousands of servers for players to play on. 

If you take a look at the most sucessful servers, like MinePlex, Overcast Network, etc, you'll notice a common factor. You're able to do literally everything. They have creative worlds, survival worlds, minigames worlds, anything you can think of they have. And with the amount of players and donations they bring in, they don't have trouble paying thousands of dollars (literally) monthly to run their servers. 

The first step, in my opinion, to creating a player base in a Minecraft server, is advertising. I'm not sure what all Joe does regarding the matter, but I know there sites like Planet Minecraft that you can manually bump your server to the top of the list every 24 hours. This WILL bring a couple players every time you do it, due to the amount of players that look at this server list. Also, there are multiple Minecraft server list sites (like this). And if you really really want players to come, you can pay the site to put your server on their front page for like a week. However, this is not cheap, Last time I checked, it's a couple hundred dollars. But these are all ways of advertisements that all server use. What really brings players, is to find a unique way of advertisement, that no other server use. For example, find a huge site about general gaming, and put your server in their forums. There most likely won't be many (if not any) other servers posting there.

a**h**** COMMENT ALERT: But in the eyes of every-day Minecrafters, I'm sure plenty of newcomers have asked themselves "Why should I play here in this dump, I'll go to another server where it actually looks like they put effort into the server" Now before I get negative comments about that statement, I know a lot of you put A LOT of effort in the spawn and such, and I give you props for that. It's not easy. Point is, not everyone is nice and kind.

Another thing that gets players to stay in your server, is giving them something of interest. Like mcMMO. A lot of people play to get on the mctop boards. If you can get a player to say "Oh, that's a cool feature to the server. I've never seen that before :D", then you're a genius. It's hard to please the average Minecraft player. Especially when they have the option to go play on Mineplex. But some people prefer a smaller community, and those are the people that you want to join. 

But as for super's question.. I think after advertising, the key is getting those people to stay/come back. I like the idea of weekly events. Like, once a week, have a small minigame (Plugin-run or not, either works). Like, maybe "Find the hayblock in the iron stack." Winner gets a reward. Something fun :D

The only downfall of heavy advertising, is you often bring lots of trolls/griefers. 

Edited by Daliger
  • Like 1

Daliger you are Absolutely right... Like I brought a friend onto my buddies server and he griefed it ddosd it and crashed it... I love survival server.. like every one in =F|A= like ssg and super sniper guy. I just wish people wouldnt go destroying stuff and then getting mad and blaming other people for it. I hate people that are like that. you have heard words of wisdom from a 12 year old with a blanket in his undies in a chair. Case closed. lol

Also I brought couple friends on like 2 months ago. I claimed our house and improved it. If u guys wanna see get on ts3.

Repopulating is important!

Any idea's on how we should go about it?

I am working on something in minecraft almost like a quest.

Any suggestions are more than welcome :)

Maybe just say when you (all players) are on the server and to know what you want to do with others (build or help to build, or help to take wither skeleton head), or other). For now, i'm just there the friday around 00h00 gmt to 05h00 gmt.

A good idea (i think), "reborn" the ender dragon each day (or an other timer).

An other thing. Many player (admin) are in creative and alot a good in building. They can build a temple with trap, enigma and other. And in the end, a gift like diamond, emeraud, weapon or other.

And for take a save of this map or no. Please i want you take a save... I take like 3-5 hours cut the forrest, and same time for just build my wall! (i don't begin to construct my castle :P )

Sorry for my english. Thx.

I guess I should clarify, the restarting of the map at this point was an idea, not a confirmed plan. I figured that since everyone is so spread out and since so much has changed in 1.8, it might not be a bad idea to just start a new world so we don't have to travel insane distances before we get to the new stuff and it would also be a good excuse to change some things and fix a few others that I've been talking about for a while. 

As per always, IF we were to do it, I would make the previous map available for everyone to download and continue to work on in their single player game.

Again, starting the world again fresh in 1.8 was only a thought I was having, if I were to do it I would definitely run it by everyone before a decision is made.

I guess I should clarify, the restarting of the map at this point was an idea, not a confirmed plan. I figured that since everyone is so spread out and since so much has changed in 1.8, it might not be a bad idea to just start a new world so we don't have to travel insane distances before we get to the new stuff and it would also be a good excuse to change some things and fix a few others that I've been talking about for a while. 

As per always, IF we were to do it, I would make the previous map available for everyone to download and continue to work on in their single player game.

Again, starting the world again fresh in 1.8 was only a thought I was having, if I were to do it I would definitely run it by everyone before a decision is made.

You could make WorldEdit schematics of people's builds that they wanted saved. Simple in-game two command process. Then when you need, you can paste em right into your 1.8 world <-- an option to toss out there if you were to do a new world. 

Edited by Daliger

• 4 years later...
On 9/11/2014 at 11:57 PM, Daliger said:

Well, getting a large population in a Minecraft server is like hitting the lottery; it doesn't happen often at all. You can help your odds by putting more effort into it with advertising, but even so, it's quite difficult. Especially when you have just a survival server like ours. 

Due to the easiness of making a Minecraft server, it allows anyone to make it. And because of this, there are tens of thousands of servers for players to play on. 

If you take a look at the most sucessful servers, like MinePlex, Overcast Network, etc, you'll notice a common factor. You're able to do literally everything. They have creative worlds, survival worlds, minigames worlds, anything you can think of they have. And with the amount of players and donations they bring in, they don't have trouble paying thousands of dollars (literally) monthly to run their servers. 

The first step, in my opinion, to creating a player base in a Minecraft server, is advertising. I'm not sure what all Joe does regarding the matter, but I know there sites like Planet Minecraft that you can manually bump your server to the top of the list every 24 hours. This WILL bring a couple players every time you do it, due to the amount of players that look at this server list. Also, there are multiple Minecraft server list sites (like this). And if you really really want players to come, you can pay the site to put your server on their front page for like a week. However, this is not cheap, Last time I checked, it's a couple hundred dollars. But these are all ways of advertisements that all server use. What really brings players, is to find a unique way of advertisement, that no other server use. For example, find a huge site about general gaming, and put your server in their forums. There most likely won't be many (if not any) other servers posting there.

a**h**** COMMENT ALERT: But in the eyes of every-day Minecrafters, I'm sure plenty of newcomers have asked themselves "Why should I play here in this dump, I'll go to another server where it actually looks like they put effort into the server" Now before I get negative comments about that statement, I know a lot of you put A LOT of effort in the spawn and such, and I give you props for that. It's not easy. Point is, not everyone is nice and kind.

Another thing that gets players to stay in your server, is giving them something of interest. Like mcMMO. A lot of people play to get on the mctop boards. If you can get a player to say "Oh, that's a cool feature to the server. I've never seen that before :D", then you're a genius. It's hard to please the average Minecraft player. Especially when they have the option to go play on Mineplex. But some people prefer a smaller community, and those are the people that you want to join. 

But as for super's question.. I think after advertising, the key is getting those people to stay/come back. I like the idea of weekly events. Like, once a week, have a small minigame (Plugin-run or not, either works). Like, maybe "Find the hayblock in the iron stack." Winner gets a reward. Something fun :D

The only downfall of heavy advertising, is you often bring lots of trolls/griefers. 

Also pretty common minecraft top *cough* *cough* worth to mention - Minecraft Server List

this topic is almost 5 years old if you want make a new one please dont bump up really old topic thanks 

• Haha 1

• D..X locked this topic