TitanFall PC Beta, a review..

ReaperROS

So since Monday morning at 5AM EST I have been entrapped by the Titanfall Beta, and now that it's over I can say that I can not wait until March 11. This game runs so smooth on such a wide range of hardware, unlike recent titles such as Call of Duty Ghosts and Battlefield 4. I ran this at 1080p on high settings with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66ghz, 8GB RAM and an ATI 7770. The game looks phenomenal. The game play is amazing, it can be quite bewildering and hard to cope with it at first. It takes a while to learn and make good use of wall running. However double jumping is fairly easy. 

The pilots had a small range of weapons in the beta, primary weapons choices consisted of an Assault Rifle, a Sub Machine Gun, a Smart Pistol, a Shotgun, and a Designated Marksmen Rifle. The weapons are upgradeable by completing challenges just like in COD4. The submachine gun and shotgun seemed a bit overpowered at medium ranges, atleast to me. The smart pistol is similarly slightly over powered since it locks onto you even at medium ranges and usually kills in one 3 round burst. The melee combat is different also, you have know melee weapons so you can jump kick your enemies, which kills in one hit. You can also run up behind an enemy and preform an execution by breaking their neck, literally turning their head completely around. Theirs even a challenge for it called "headturner". The pilots can run up walls as well as wall run. They can also wall hang. 

The titans come in 3 flavors and have multiple upgrades and abilities. I wasn't a huge fan of the Titan gameplay, I preferred to set the titan to follow me that way I could rodeo enemy titans it was engaging. When I did actually control a titan I preferred to volley my homing rockets empty a mag then charge in close and eject using the Nuclear Ejection thereby destroying anything nearby, titans and pilots. 

I thoroughly love the game, it;s simply amazing and fluid. I always connected to the US East server at 20ms and in-game my ping never went higher than 56ms. There was absolutely no lag. 

post-12861-0-32777300-1392863694_thumb.jpg

post-12861-0-80042500-1392863694_thumb.jpg

TitanFall 2014-02-17 11-26-29-79.bmp

• Like 1

• Administrators

Games that have no recoil get boring pretty quick. Here is my review: If you are into a generic COD clone with robots that has maximum of 12 players, has horrible graphics then this is the game for you.

I actually enjoyed the game, except the one concept that I think the game was going for: the titans. They are too bulky and move very slow. I do like the speed boosts that it gives, but there is no option to jump. With the two maps that were played there was limited space for the titans to move creating large deathpoints or chokepoints. 

The smg, smart pistol and shotty are very op. The sniper has a lot of recoil and limited scope ability.

What I did like. I'm into jumping games. I like that we can wall jump and double jump. There is no limit in the game as fare as what you can or cannot climb and there seems to be no ceiling. However it will warn you to get back in the battle if you climb too high.

Despite the overpowering of the weapons, it think with the jumping and the speed boosts that you as a pilot have, these are necessary. And there is a limit on the smart pistol; it takes time to lock a target or three.

There is a lot of improvement and modding this game could use or will be done, but overall it was very fun and entertaining. 

Name one game that gets recoil right? It's surely not any of the Battlefield games or Call of Duty games. As for the graphics, I thought the graphics were amazing for a game that has very minimal requirements. The Source Engine has never required much in the way of resources. They're also far better than the "Next Gen" Graphics that Ghosts and Battlefield 4 raved about. Of course my other big purchase this year besides Titanfall will be The Division, whenever it comes out.

Considering the 49 members of Respawn all worked on atleast the following games; COD2, COD4 and COD: MW2, that's probably why it feels like COD clone to you. These are the people who got COD right in the first place. Hell 10 of them were at 2015 with Vince Zampella when he worked on Medal of Honor back in the day...

I was really hoping that this game would be something truly revolutionary based on the early images and videos. I must say that a lot of that hype has been deflated when I heard about the player count and watching various gameplay videos. With regards to the player count, there are going to be AI bots instead of human players. I somewhat get it that they want to make it accessible to a large audience but I much prefer playing against human opponents who are very sneaky and cunning. If they have AI bots, why not have the ability to change player count to replace those bots if need be? Battlefield 2142 got the player count thing right as you could scale up or down the kind of player counts as well as scaling up or down the map size.

When I look at the gameplay videos, it looks too much like COD. Now i know that these guys worked on COD etc but I guess I was expecting something a little bit more than generic in terms of look and feel while compared to COD. To elaborate further, I love COD4 as it was just done right. Sometimes though it can get a little repetitive and boring. Maybe due to the lack of communities and maps at times. Titanfall looks the same to me except with verticality and mechs. Since I play a lot of COD and sometimes get bored, this looks like I might get bored of the gameplay quickly.

They have also been dodging the question about community gaming. I hoped that it would be a similar setup like FA where a community could run a server etc. It seems that this will not be the case from what I have read, not sure if this has changed. I didn't like the fact that they could not come out and say yes or no earlier.

I will say though that I am awaiting the review of the game and I may get it as it could really be fun. When I look at a game like Destiny, that looks very interesting. At this stage I am looking for innovation in gaming and want to experience new gameplay mechanics. On the flipside, Respawn is not reinventing the wheel as there is a huge market so it's hard to fault them for that. There would not be a COD release every 2 months if not for the people who want to buy them.

I guess I would love to see a new BF2142. That game was really enjoyable. I wish some developers would be more involved in the game development and evolution like valve is with TF2. Games could be made so much more enjoyable by opening them up to the creativity of the players.

If anyone has an extra beta key this man right here is looking :)

Looks like a great game to tryout!

This was a limited beta. I believe it ended on the 19th. Plus everyone mentions these keys, but I never got one. I guess I registered for beta before you needed one.