COD4 Player Data - Windows 8

KILLERGUN

Question

Hey guys,

Have been pulling my hair over this for the past couple of days... Is the location of the COD4 player data on windows 8 different from windows 7?

Coz I have tried everything and still not been able to get my profiles back on windows 8.. Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks

10 answers to this question

I bought it from steam and the path is c:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/common/Call of Duty 4/players/profiles

Also, just in case you need it, the demos and screenshots for COD on steam are in c:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/common/Call of Duty 4/main

In there are 2 folders one for screens and one for demos..

I bought it from steam and the path is c:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/common/Call of Duty 4/players/profiles

Also, just in case you need it, the demos and screenshots for COD on steam are in c:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/common/Call of Duty 4/main

In there are 2 folders one for screens and one for demos..

On Windows 7/8? Because with the newer Windows versions, you're not allowed to write into the Program Files folder (unless you're running admin).

Those program folders are basically the same, only with x86 is for 32bit applications and without for 64bit applications. However in both cases, you are not allowed to write in it without being admin.

Actually everything I have installed has went to the same place.. Each time I install something it does pop up and say (and I paraphrase here haha) a program is trying to make changes to your computer and then asks me if I will allow yes or no.. I am the furthest things from a pc expert though haha, I just know in my windows 8 the path I specified is where those files are lol.. I've learned more pc stuff since being in this forum then I thought I would ever know, you guys/girls are smart :D

Just curious, because I actually don't know how it works, but if your on your own PC wouldn't you be admin anyway?

What I actually meant, is when you install an new application on Vista/7/8, you get the UAC (User Account Control) which says "Are you sure you want to install stuff?". However, what it actually means is asking if you are sure that you want to change things on your pc which usually shouldn't change. Usually you won't want to change applications when running applications, you'd only want that if you want to install new stuff, reinstall, update or are a virus. None of those is usual when you run the program / play CoD4. So there are two basic options: 1. run as admin (give virus a chance) or 2: Something already a long time ago used by many other OS, namely make a hard difference between applications and user data. The second is obviously the best, but causes that you are not allowed to write in the program folders and hence the user data is somewhere else.

So yes, it is possible that your player data is in that folder. However, it shouldn't be, cause it implies that you run the application not as 'secure' as it should be. And yes, in practice it won't be a problem (for CoD4), but its just a bad habit.

Hahaha I never knew what all that was about and am actually very happy that you explained it... In theory though since I only install 1st party programs, it should be safe? Like when I bought COD it wanted to install to this path and asked was it okay, so if it was trying to go there it should be okay right? Hehe please excuse my ignorance I am really just trying to learn haha and thanks :D

As I said, it should work, but it is just a bad habit. Even with other OS, I try to follow those kind of guidelines as well as possible, they are there for a reason.

Weird though that it defaults ask you to use the player data from the program folders though. No idea why that is.