Anyone use AT&T U-verse internet?

DuskMatch

I have 6 Mbps AT&T DSL and am thinking about getting 12 Mbps AT&T U-verse internet. It's supposedly based on fiber-optic instead of phone lines.

Is anyone using AT&T U-verse? If so, what speed? Is it much better than DSL and does it help when playing ET?

The 6 to 12 Mpbs jump wont help you so much with ET. It's not your bandwidth at that point, it's the latency (the time it takes for the signal to travel from your computer to the server, and vice versa).

I have 6 Mbps AT&T DSL and am thinking about getting 12 Mbps AT&T U-verse internet. It's supposedly based on fiber-optic instead of phone lines.

Is anyone using AT&T U-verse? If so, what speed? Is it much better than DSL and does it help when playing ET?

I have Uverse, and probably the same plan you have. Quite frankly I don't think jumping up to 12Mbps would help that much unless you and a few others are streaming video or something along those lines.

RIght now I can have someone watching netflix one 1 laptop and play ET with only very minor lag. I think that's pretty decent. If I had the 12Mbps plan I doubt I would notice any lag.

I think having a quality router is probably more important at this point than a faster line.

You guys are probably right that going from 6Mbps to 12Mbps won't make much of a difference on gameplay. But what about the fact that Uverse goes through fiber-optic instead of DSL's phone lines. Would that improve the response times (ping) at all?

You guys are probably right that going from 6Mbps to 12Mbps won't make much of a difference on gameplay. But what about the fact that Uverse goes through fiber-optic instead of DSL's phone lines. Would that improve the response times (ping) at all?

It may, but if your in an area where you can get 6Mbps DSL, then it comes to a question of how many nodes your connection has to go through to get to where it's going.

Say you are located on the west coast, and the servers are on the east coast. Your ping should be roughly 90-110 on a NY server. Now if your ping is around the 200 mark...and/or your getting lag like crazy then there could be something wrong with either A.your computer B.your connection or C.the server your connecting to.

When AT&T says that U-verse is going through fiber, it basically means that at some point between your house and their main switch it's hitting fiber.

When you compare it to FIOS, verizon literally brings fiber to your curb.

One simple test you can do if you haven't already is to head over to www.speedtest.net and http://www.pingtest.net/. Test your speed and make sure it's close to where it should be. Then test your ping and see how much jitter is on the line. If it's excessive, switching might be a good idea.

*On a side note, if your getting a good connection with your DSL, check out www.dslextreme.com and see if they service your area. Generally if you can get service from AT&T, you can get service with DSLextreme. Often times they are a little cheaper, and you can take the money you saved and either donate or save up for a new GFX card, CPU :hmm