OnLive

Dan

I got accepted into the new gaming service OnLive. Basically you play full games without the needed hardware because all the games run on OnLive's remote servers. The best thing about this service is that you can "rent" games for a week or so, so those singleplayer one time games are alot cheaper. On top of that you can play a 30 minute demo of most games before you buy any of them. The service is free for now for a year, but they will charge 4.95/month to use their service later.

Wait so let me get this straight.

1. Are you actually downloading the games to your harddrive?

2. Any specs whatsoever? (so I could play Crysis on my 3 year old laptop?)

3. Are you controlling what the server does and then sends you a live stream of this? (surely there would be alot of lag)

4. Sounds too good to be true.... Whats the catch?

1. Are you actually downloading the games to your harddrive? No it is 100% saved on thier server, which are located all over the world so ping is not an issue. Not sure where this is available now but its still in Beta.

2. Any specs whatsoever? (so I could play Crysis on my 3 year old laptop?) Yes it will later even work on tvs with a little box, but the specs should be pretty low because it basically streams the game to you.

3. Are you controlling what the server does and then sends you a live stream of this? (surely there would be alot of lag), there is a little lag, but I just played a 30 minute demo of Batman Asylum and only saw about 3 times where there were any noticable lag.

4. Sounds too good to be true.... Whats the catch? 4.95/month after a year.

Btw you can spectator any person playing and they offer the whole xfire/xbox live features with friends and chat,etc.

44849143.png

1. Are you actually downloading the games to your harddrive? No it is 100% saved on thier server, which are located all over the world so ping is not an issue. Not sure where this is available now but its still in Beta.

2. Any specs whatsoever? (so I could play Crysis on my 3 year old laptop?) Yes it will later even work on tvs with a little box, but the specs should be pretty low because it basically streams the game to you.

3. Are you controlling what the server does and then sends you a live stream of this? (surely there would be alot of lag), there is a little lag, but I just played a 30 minute demo of Batman Asylum and only saw about 3 times where there were any noticable lag.

4. Sounds too good to be true.... Whats the catch? 4.95/month after a year.

Btw you can spectator any person playing and they offer the whole xfire/xbox live features with friends and chat,etc.

44849143.png

omgd.jpgMy face right now. Seriously. I think a tear just came to my eye.

Is there even a program you have to download?!

Its not really a program its a client, not very big. The current games they have (and their adding more):

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!
Assassin’s Creed II
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Borderlands
Brain Challenge
Defense Grid: Gold
Dirt 2
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
Just Cause 2
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
Madballs in Babo: Invasion
MLB 2K10
NBA 2K10
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Puzzle Chronicles
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Shatter
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Conviction
Trine
Two Worlds
Unreal Tournament III
World of Goo

This is all I understood from their demonstration of Onlive.

Its like Remote Desktop. They have a PC or server in one location and you control it from your house using a remote connection. That server will play the games you purchased but you do not physically own the game (its like renting it though your monthly subscription)

The only issue I can see is that if the internet connection is slow, everything overall will be slow. You probably need a good internet connection to control it fluently. Also the only thing I don't like about it is that you don't actually own any physical data (no disk and no actual data that you can store) and if your subscription is gone, you lose pretty much everything (but they might change this later on). Its pretty much a big game rental

I've read that the way it works is you will need to pay monthly to access any of your purchased games. The minute you stop paying for the subscription you lose access to all of your purchased games. Definitely not worth it in my opinion.

I have a Question:

Does the service works like this::

The graphic processing,physics etc. is done by the remote servers . The server will just send the processed data through internet to be displayed on host computer.

That it means it works like a TV.

I have a Question:

Does the service works like this::

The graphic processing,physics etc. is done by the remote servers . The server will just send the processed data through internet to be displayed on host computer.

That it means it works like a TV.

Yes that is exactly how it works.

0,1425,sz=1&i=203370,00.jpg