Google and Chipotle Are Testing Drone Burrito Delivery at Virginia Tech

DFighter

Project Wing, the company's drone division, was behind the tests

Ever imagined being able to order a burrito and have it delivered by a drone? Well, Google has you covered.

The search giant, which is now under the parent company Alphabet, began testing drone food deliveries using Chipotle burritos at Virginia Tech this week. A drone was spotted Monday flying overhead before lowering a large white package to the ground, the Roanoke Times reports.

Virginia Tech was approved as a test site for drones by the Federal Aviation Administration in 2013 and the school provided safety oversight for the Google tests, according to the Times. Project Wing, the companies drone division, conducted the experiment.

The delivery process was repeated about 10 times in 30 minutes on Monday, the Times reports. Packages only traveled about a tenth of a mile, maintaining FAA-preferred line of sight flights.

Source: Kevlar and : http://time.com/4493291/google-tests-drone-deliveries-virginia-tech/
  • Like 1

Now muricans can get even fatter.

Thats possible but I don't think we'll need help from drones for that. ;)  The original intent of this project was to deliver medication to rural areas of our state.  Ultimately, medication or emergent medical supplies could be delivered anywhere that was cut off from the outside world whether through poor transportation infrastructure or natural disaster.  As with many projects of this type it was underfunded and was beginning to lose traction.  If you can't get a project funded through common sense sometimes you have to get it funded through absurdity.  All of the research that will be gained by delivering burritos can be applied later to the original concept of delivering medication or other life saving supplies. 

I've been involved for a little over a year through my business as well as the local EMS agency I serve with.  Listed below is a link to a better story from last year that was in the Wall Street Journal.  I just thought you guys may find it more interesting from the burrito angle :P .

http://www.wsj.com/articles/drone-delivers-medicine-to-rural-virginia-clinic-1437155114

• Like 1