Red Screen of Death, Windows unable to recover

Bow_In_Honor

Just going to preface this with my setup.

I'm running dualboot Win7 Home Prem x64, and Ubuntu 14.04.

Computer specs:

Mother board: M3970AM-HP (Angelica2)

Processor: AMD FX-6120

10 Gigs of RAM

GPU: Nvidia GT 640(Shitty I know)

1TB HDD

I got a HDD error yesterday morning saying imminent failure of my C: drive.(I've known my drive was going to fail for awhile.)

Later that night while trying to play ET I got a BSOD, and after rebooting and logging in the computer would BSOD again. This happened a couple times, and then it tried to boot and I got the Grub Rescue prompt.

So I popped in my Windows recovery disk, and tried Start up repair, and that just error'd.

I went ahead and did a factory reset on it, and everything was running smooth until it finished reading the disks, and restarted to install the software. Then it RSOD on me, and everytime I restart the machine it loads back into Windows just to do it again.

Any idea what might be causing this? I did some googling, and some people get it because they have a different graphics card then what came with the PC, but I've done a factory reset before with my card and it was fine.

Here are some notes I took while it happened.

initializing software
long load.....
blue HP screen
Real long load
cscript.execorrupt file.
please run chkdsk utility
red CMD prompt
compressing
RedScreen!!!- FPP Error (textbox)
{ Summary: -Failure spawning
C:\MOVE_SELECTED_BLOCKS_FAILED.EXE
ErrorInfo: -1 unknown process error
lastBTO: C:\appl.zip\fixups\aardvark.bto
lastBTOline: (10)
CrateProcess(C:\MOVE_SELECTED_BLOCKS_FAILED.EXE)
returned 2, The system cannot the find the file specified.
You must power down the system and restart the order. }

Maybe the HDD is f***ed, and thats why it's saying to run chkdsk?

Edited by Bow_In_Honor

hey Bow couple of questions,

dual boot and u use grub as boot loader?

and both windows and Linux failed to boot before and after your rsod?

I think if you repair or reset a system with your win 7 recovery disk you might have messed up

your dual boot by creating a new mbr.  

hey Bow couple of questions,

dual boot and u use grub as boot loader?

and both windows and Linux failed to boot before and after your rsod?

I think if you repair or reset a system with your win 7 recovery disk you might have messed up

your dual boot by creating a new mbr.  

Yes I was using grub as the boot loader.

After I got the grub rescue prompt I tried to repair the startup, and then did a factory reset. I lost the ability to boot to either, so I just scrapped Ubuntu, and just tried to recover Windows.

I was thinking I might have corrupted the MBR, and thats why I'm unable to install windows.

At the moment I have reinstalled Ubuntu, and the grubBL recognizes the Windows recovery partition, but when I boot to it, and try reinstalling windows it still ends up giving me the RSOD with the same error.

Not sure where to go from here.

Edited by Bow_In_Honor

Does Ubuntu boot?

Can you to boot to command prompt in windows? (somewhere selectable when you hit f8 or something)

Yeah I can boot to Ubuntu without any problems.

I can boot to the Windows recovery partition, but when I try to get to the cmd prompt, it tries to install Windows first and it RSOD.

Also the recovery disk has stopped giving me all the options it usually has, and only lets me choose factory reset, because Windows never reinstalled.

I wish I could take a video of exactly what it does but unfortunetly my phone is busted atm.

I gave the details of the error message it gives when it RSOD in the original post at the bottom.

Do you really need to recover your windows or could you be helped with a new install?

Sounds like your HP recovery partition ( if you still have it ) or your  windows partition is corrupted.

check with your build in Ubuntu partition manager or parted magic the partitions I mentioned please.

Do you really need to recover your windows or could you be helped with a new install?

Sounds like your HP recovery partition ( if you still have it ) or your  windows partition is corrupted.

check with your build in Ubuntu partition manager or parted magic the partitions I mentioned please.

Unfortunately I do. I lost my installation disk so if I'm unable to recover Windows then I'll lose it permanently.

Trust me if I would of had the installation disk I would of just done a fresh install when it first happened. 

Are you able to check if those partitions are corrupted using Ubuntu's partition manager?

I'm new to Ubuntu, so I don't know much.

Bow,

Without the original HP or Windows install / setup disk there isn't much you can do.

I think your Windows partition is somehow "broken".

Therefor you cant restore to it.

The Original HP setup disk "rebuilds" your partitions you still loose data.

If you reinstall windows from setup disk you more or less do the same. 

I asked you to check with a partition manager to see if you could delete create and format your windows

partition to see if that would help.

You prolly need to fix you mbr again if you was able to do that.

If you are new to Linux I would suggest to download parted magic.

Its a distribution solely for partition stuff.

You can run it from usb.

Look around it is still available for free.

Bow,

Without the original HP or Windows install / setup disk there isn't much you can do.

I think your Windows partition is somehow "broken".

Therefor you cant restore to it.

The Original HP setup disk "rebuilds" your partitions you still loose data.

If you reinstall windows from setup disk you more or less do the same. 

Turns out my SYSTEM.SAV file in my OS partition is corrupted and that's what's causing the installation to fail.

Looks like I'll be buying another copy of Windows. -_-

Thanks for the help Anton.

One of the most important things to do when you're suspecting a harddrive failure is to checkout the S.M.A.R.T. data, in Ubuntu you'll have a "Disk Utility" in which you can do that.

Furthermore, if your hard drive is on the brink of failure, you really _should NOT ever_ boot from it, you risk breaking it further, instead - pop in a Linux live cd and gather data that way (obviously, the drive will still be used then, but it won't be critically used).

Before you continue on your current path, I'd still suggest verifying the hard disk's state because files don't "just go corrupt" and of course, make backups (but you're already doing that, right? ;-))

One of the most important things to do when you're suspecting a harddrive failure is to checkout the S.M.A.R.T. data, in Ubuntu you'll have a "Disk Utility" in which you can do that.

Furthermore, if your hard drive is on the brink of failure, you really _should NOT ever_ boot from it, you risk breaking it further, instead - pop in a Linux live cd and gather data that way (obviously, the drive will still be used then, but it won't be critically used).

Before you continue on your current path, I'd still suggest verifying the hard disk's state because files don't "just go corrupt" and of course, make backups (but you're already doing that, right? ;-))

Oh trust me I've already looked at it using the Disk utility, and it shows that it's getting bad, which would explain the corruption of the windows files. I've known that the HDD has been failing for awhile now so it comes as no surprise that this is the issue.

I'm not worried if it does break cause I've already backed up what is important, and I don't plan on using Linux after I replace the HDD, so if this OS goes to shit, oh well, I can just reinstall it on the new drive. Thanks for the input though :)

Can I ask what is "going bad" exactly? Interpreting S.M.A.R.T. data can be troublesome at best - sometimes it may seem bad and it turns it, it isn't. If you'd like, I'm happy to take a look at it.

Finally, isn't it possible to contact HP and request a new set of recovery CD's? Surely, that'd be cheaper than buying a new Windows?

Either way, good luck.