Looking at getting a new car...(UK)

ShadowFax

Ok, so later this year (sometime after the summer), I'm looking at getting a new/second hand car. I'm fairly young still, so insurance would be fair bit no matter what, but I'm looking around for something pretty quick, reliable and not 'out of this world' expensive. Just wondering if anyone had any suggests as to what I could get...I've been looking at something like a Ford Fiesta ST, Polo GTI/Blue GT...something along those lines. Any comments/help appreciated, thanks! :)

There's always the VW Golf's, and the Golf R is the performance model of it. The New hatchback mazda is nice too, not as quick as the vw though. Maybe a Honda Fit or prius if your looking for something more small and fuel efficient, it's not quick though. Also the ford fiesta/focus st are great hatches too. Their are alfa romeos and Fiats that are small cars, maybe a mini cooper? I know subaru has a nice hatchback version too.

• Like 1

Yeah, a few of those I've been looking at. The golf was my first choice, (although was looking at the GTI rather than the R (insurance would be a killer in that)), but was getting a bit too expensive for me, especially the newer models. 

Completely forgot about MINI, so I'll take a look at that possibly, thanks!

Not sure about Subaru's...I've watched a few youtube videos on them, and they give some good reviews, just they're fairly uncommon in the UK, so when/if the time comes to get replacement parts and servicing and that sort of thing, isn't that going to be quite expensive?

Focus st. I'm biased in that I own one, but I really think it's an amazing car. Ford managed to make a hot hatch with 271 lb-ft of torque a fine daily driver. 

-251 hp, 271 lb-ft of torque (can get hp up to 310-320 with mods, if that's your thing)

-base seats are very comfortable, recaro's are sporty

-cheaper than a comparable golf, but still very reliable

-more space and power than fiesta st, albeit at a higher price

-more of a sleeper than mazdaspeed 3 or wrx

-despite being a hell of a hot hatch, doesn't come with a negative stigma like with the mazdaspeed 3 or wrx

-better interior than the mazda or subaru counterparts

-stock rims are damn sexy

-only comes with a 6 speed, which is awesome

Having said all of that, fiesta sf owners on the whole seem to love their cars. Personally, the fiesta st looks like ford attempting to copy mini cooper's formula for a compact hot hatch that's a riot to drive.

someone else brought up mini cooper so I'll just throw my two cents in there: I would not recommend a mini cooper s for a daily driver.  I've spent a lot of time in one and while it's an absolute blast to drive, daily commuting is an ass-pain. The suspension is incredibly stiff, the gearbox is wickedly sensitive, and as a 6 foot tall male, I feel like a giant in the car. There's no doubt that it's fun, but you lose a lot in order to get that "fun-factor." 

• Like 1

Yeah, at the moment I'm torn between basically between a fiesta st (the baby focus st) and the polo gti (the baby golf gti). I know they're in direct competition with each other but they both look good. I've got a Ford atm, and it's been reliable enough, especially seeing as it was a 04 plate, and still running pretty smoothly. But then VW's are equally if not more reliable, being German and all that....

The new VW polo gti has 192hp, 6 speed, which is plenty for me, as I'm not doing a huge amount of driving...yet. I also prefer the look of the interior to the Ford, with the retro seats and better console system etc...

But then, as you say, the Ford is cheaper and equally fun to drive etc...might have to find a garage and test drive them both and see which I prefer...

• Like 1

192hp is quite a chunk of cash for the new registration, at least commonly around the Europe, depending on how much are u prepared to pay for registration and the rest of costs, mark in mind since its the GTI, it will be a bit higher fuel usage, so the monthly cost of gas comes here too.
If u don't mind the extra expensess and actually enjoy some fast car, i would recommend u for a GTI, even tho, when it comes to GTI, Golf wins over anything anyday.

How much driving are u making on daily basis? If u are doing a lot, then it would be more wiser to just go for a TDI instead, lower fuel usage and somehow the same hp if taking 2.0 or 1.9 engine with a TDI marker.

I think the combined fuel consumption is around of the Polo GTI is 47.1mpg, which is not too bad for a GTI. I'm not doing a huge amount of driving atm, mostly short journeys on some back roads, but will probably be doing more next year, (just not quite sure how much) on bigger roads (motorways etc)...I was looking at getting a golf GTI but the insurance cost was almost double that of a Polo GTI, and costs more to purchase straight up as well. 

I think the combined fuel consumption is around of the Polo GTI is 47.1mpg, which is not too bad for a GTI. I'm not doing a huge amount of driving atm, mostly short journeys on some back roads, but will probably be doing more next year, (just not quite sure how much) on bigger roads (motorways etc)...I was looking at getting a golf GTI but the insurance cost was almost double that of a Polo GTI, and costs more to purchase straight up as well. 

Well yeh, depending on the models, which year is the Polo and which is the Golf? Also what type of machines they both have? How much is that consumption roughly in the equasion of 100km/l?

Normally insurance is being calculated by the price of the new car currently on the market, which by Golf GTI means ofcourse a lot higher than for Polo.

well, why don't you look for a BMW 1series.
I think they are the most beautiful hatchback's there are ( with M-bumpers). They also drive pretty good...

A nice sporty car, not too big, not too small.

I think they are the most beautiful hatchback's there are ( with M-bumpers). They also drive pretty good...

I would say cus of maintance, considering BMW is kind of expensive to maintain not to mention the price itself goes always high, as they keep the value for a long time.

Well yeh, depending on the models, which year is the Polo and which is the Golf? Also what type of machines they both have? How much is that consumption roughly in the equasion of 100km/l?

Normally insurance is being calculated by the price of the new car currently on the market, which by Golf GTI means ofcourse a lot higher than for Polo.

I think it would be a 2015 model of the polo gti cuz that's the only manual transmission model available. Possibly a slightly older golf gti...2009-2013 that sorta thing...

Yeah I was looking into those, but as Aniky says, they can be quite expensive to maintain which is the only problem...although a lot of German cars are going to be fairly expensive to maintain tbf...