SLI GTX760->GTX970, Worth It?

ronaldounit0

I've been monitoring the release of the 970 and 980 for a while now, and I must say that I'm very impressed with the power of the 970 at that price. A couple of benchmarks put the 970 (overclocked a bit) on the same level as the 980 and sometimes even the 780Ti! So, I was considering upgrading from SLI ASUS GTX760s (2Gb models) to one Gigabyte GTX970. 

Now I was wondering what you all think? Do you think that I would get any noticeable performance gain? If I get the exact same performance, is it worth the cost for the 2 extra gigs of VRAM?  

I'm wondering the same about the 770. Deciding whether to get another 770 so I can SLI, or to just get the 970.. I can't decide, and it's ruining my mind lol

• Like 1

I'm wondering the same about the 770. Deciding whether to get another 770 so I can SLI, or to just get the 970.. I can't decide, and it's ruining my mind lol

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/190652-overclocking-nvidias-gtx-970-gtx-980-performance-for-a-fraction-the-price

*drools*

On local forums many had problems with coil whine with gtx 970, also comp issues. I´d wait for repaired patches and driver patches.

If you already have GTX 760 2x2GB then you have 4GB of vram? Also do you have 4k monitor setup?

and whats up with this 450$ version, its still not gtx 980(which can be OC as well, leaving that zotac 970 in dust) and its not reasonably priced neither. ofc you could OC moderately even those 350$ models. not seeing point in that zotac unless you are OC enthusiast. But then I´d go with even pricier water cooling solution...

Just my 2 cents

Also admirering what NVidia achieved with gtx900-series, but not so eager to upgrade my HD6950 2x2GB CF neither as with FHD I don´t see the need yet, maybe if Unreal Engine 4 comes out or Dragons Gge maybe will be more demanding than Crisys 3(doubt though).

On local forums many had problems with coil whine with gtx 970, also comp issues. I´d wait for repaired patches and driver patches.

If you already have GTX 760 2x2GB then you have 4GB of vram? Also do you have 4k monitor setup?

and whats up with this 450$ version, its still not gtx 980(which can be OC as well, leaving that zotac 970 in dust) and its not reasonably priced neither. ofc you could OC moderately even those 350$ models. not seeing point in that zotac unless you are OC enthusiast. But then I´d go with even pricier water cooling solution...

Just my 2 cents

Also admirering what NVidia achieved with gtx900-series, but not so eager to upgrade my HD6950 2x2GB CF neither as with FHD I don´t see the need yet, maybe if Unreal Engine 4 comes out or Dragons Gge maybe will be more demanding than Crisys 3(doubt though).

For the first  part, only the EVGA model 970s have coil whine problems (not sure of the Zotac). The Gigabyte and MSI (pretty sure the Strix too) are free of this. (not sure what comp issues means)

On the second point, VRAM does not add like that. If you have two 2 Gb VRAM cards, you still only have 2 Gb. They act like they're in parallel, not series and therefore do not add to 4 Gb. Also, I do not have a 4k monitor, rather the ASUS VG248QE 144Hz 1080p monitor. Most only have to worry about maxing games out in 60Hz 1080p (which dual 760s can do easily), but achieving 144Hz with dual 760s on a game like Battlefield 4 is impossible (consistently, that is). 

Third, I don't want the Zotac version, the article provided was only to show the capabilities of the 970 when overclocking. I would personally go for either the Gigabyte 970 Gaming or the ASUS Strix, not the EVGA or the Zotac (I'd consider the MSI, but not very fond of the company). The 970 is regarded to be a much better bargain considering it is $200 less than the 980 and overclocks well to the point of even surpassing it in some areas. 

Again, I don't NEED to upgrade, but as an enthusiast who wants to max out every game at 144Hz as an end-goal (I know just one 970 might not do the trick) I want to know if it's worth it :P 

(re-reading this sounds very angry....I'm not angry at all, just wanted to voice my opinion haha :D )