NVIDIA benchmarks GeForce GTX 480 against AMD's ATI Radeon HD 5870

Husa

NVIDIA's next-generation GPU architecture, codenamed Fermi, made a few brief appearances at this week's CeBIT, and though we'll have to wait until March 26 for an official unveiling, the graphics giant has teased its upcoming high-end solution, the GeForce GTX 480, in a surprise YouTube video.

The clip, featuring NVIDIA's director of technical marketing Tom Petersen, shows a GeForce GTX 480 running in a high-end Intel X58 system equipped with a Core i7 960 processor. After a brief explanation of DirectX 11, particularly the goodness on offer from hardware tessellation, Petersen, who ran through 'Fermi's' features in a HEXUS.tv show, provides a performance comparison between the GeForce GTX 480 and AMD's ATI Radeon HD 5870 using the Unigine 'Heaven' benchmark.

gtx-480-vs-hd-5870.jpg

Of course, any benchmark originating from a manufacturer needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, but NVIDIA's graph suggests the GeForce GTX 480 is superior - that is, at least when heavy tessellation comes into play.

What's interesting is that most users may have thought the GeForce GTX 480 would dethrone the current king - AMD's ATI Radeon HD 5970 - as the fastest single graphics card available. If this evidence is anything to go by, those beliefs may be cast into doubt - as the GeForce GTX 480 looks to be ahead of a Radeon HD 5870 when tessellation is heavily utilised, but almost on par at other times.

We won't doubt a card with some three billion transistors, but to say we're eager to get it into our labs to see what it really can do would be an understatement.

The entire video clip, which also includes a brief look at GeForce 3D Vision Surround, can be viewed below.

Source: hexus.net

Nvidia handled the D11 product development awfully. I mean releasing a product that is on par with 5870 after almost a year is major FAIL. Still the test does look good. They will really have to price it well to be competitive. Btw 400 series is being released at end of March.

Nvidia has nothing on the market that can compete with ATi and thats where it counts

i dont think anyone would dispute that right now. For NV, though, gamers arent their whole base for card sells. Their quadro/tesla (worstation cards) are where they make a majority of their money. They just strip these cards down and sell them at a performance/price gamers will pay for. Personally i will probably wait till christmas or later to purchase a new video card. 1 because i need a new power supply so need that first. 2 because i want to see how the market plays out. ATI is already coming out with revisions and NV has said their revised cards will be out by then. Personally i dont care who has what out, i just want to initial price hype to be over and see what card is the best bang for the buck.

get my score with nv on air ?

are you talking about your 3Dmark 06 and before scores? please tell me you are joking?

@ evil show me better score of you over 25000 on air ? i wanne learn from you :thanks

well whenever i decide i want to invest more money into a PC (ie new processor so new mb, new ram) i will. 3Dmark is an old testing platform. Move up to vantage and post some scores and than i will care. or can your cards not handle the new graphics testing programs that people base scores off of now a days??

*edit* i am also going to take the time to point out that your scores changed more bc of your CPU overclock, not yoru gpu. Your GPU was not being bottle necked a 3.8 on and I7. sorry dude no way. i dont know that site well enough but it appears your video card was at 790/990 for all your test and the only variable that changed was your CPU clock. All your scores show is your CPU increase if your GPU never changed.

Edited by *Evil*Stevedawg