Not technically a hobby, but...

Mongoose

Now, some may not consider this a hobby per se, however I consider it my life, and in some ways, a hobby:

My entire life I grew up wanting to be a firefighter, and eventually I became one, and can truthfully say it is by far my favorite activity on this planet. There is no better feeling than running out of the house for a call (yes, even at 4am haha) and getting on the truck and rolling out. I know it sounds corny but I swear there is nothing I'd rather be doing than being at the fire house either on a storm standby or even just cleaning! There is only one other person I've met from FA who is a firefighter, and that is Hipple. Im just wondering how many other brothers/sisters there are out here! Hope to hear back from you guys and everyone stay safe!

• Like 4

God bless you guys, many people don't realize what you guys have to go through (myself included until you shared your story with us on TS) but people who serve like you ensure that something so precious, something that once lost cannot be bought back for all of the money in the world isn't gone forever--Life. 

Thank you for what you do Mongoose! 

I have a lot of firefighter/EMT friends in town.  I get to know a lot of them through hunting or their part time jobs that tend to include some type of construction work that I find I need from time to time.  Anyway, it is always great knowing these guys and getting to share in their stories they have to tell. 

Firefighting/EMS is less of a hobby/career and more like a cult, much in the same way the Marines are. Once in the Brotherhood, forever my brother. I have never met a truly retired FF/EMS, they all still get that look when you talk about it and alot of them have just put on another hat after their active service days have passed and have turned to teaching the next generation of emergency responders or gone into a more administrative role.  As for myself, I am slowing down in my over active service, I restrain my self to my career in EMS and I try and remember that at my volly house I am the captain and I have younger guys that can be on the inside fighting the dragon and I should be giving orders not humpin hose, throwing ladders and such ....sometimes I forget, that is till the next morning and then my body makes sure I remember.

While I may not have the same energy as Mongoose and I grumble at the 3 AM medical calls( heck the 3 am anything), I still got the rescue in my soul and pride in my brothers, that will remain forever. 

• Like 2

Well put hipple, there are however some 3am calls that i really dont feel like going, but i end up going anyways, like co alarms and smells of gas (who the hell is out on the street at 3am anyways?!?) Its definitely what i love haha

• 2 months later...

I have been self employed for almost 20 years but my "real job" is being a volunteer Paramedic.  I actually started my own business so I could leave work to run calls without worrying about getting fired!  Needless to say if there is a big 10-50 on the Interstate there ain't much work getting done!!

Like Hipple, I do a little less active call running than I used to and serve as our agency Captain.  I love to teach all types of CE classes as well as ACLS & PALS and serve as one of our preceptors.  I remember what an old Shock/Trauma instructor told me - "As an ALS provider you might 2 or 3 lives in your career - as an ALS instructor I will save thousands".

As much as I love to teach and watch the younger folks advance - I still love to work codes ( had a code save a couple months ago! ) and run car wrecks.

Thank you guys for all that you do for your respective communities! 

Let's keep this thread going...whats your favorite apparatus to roll on?  What was the best Fire/EMS class you've had in the past little while?

Edited by Schmeltzie