Build 2014: Return of the classic Start Menu? Microsoft gives us a twisted tease

sincity

Build 2014: Return of the classic Start Menu? Microsoft gives us a twisted tease

The Windows Start menu will return - but it won't be the same, and it won't happen any time soon.

When the Start menu does appear again in Windows it will have a unique new interface that combines the familiar Windows 8 live tiles with the familiar Start menu experience that Windows users have gotten used to over the years.

Microsoft Executive Vice President of Operating Systems Group Terry Myerson introduced the new Start menu and showed it off during the Build 2014 keynote, and it does indeed look slick.

The new Start menu will be available in a future update to Windows 8.1, though not in "the" update that's launching April 8.

One step back, two steps forward

"We are going all in with this desktop experience to make sure your applications can be accessed and loved by people that love the Windows desktop," Myerson said during the Build keynote, addressing the Windows developers in the room.

He revealed that universal Windows applications can now run in windowed mode, and thanks to the new Start menu's live tile-friendly interface they'll appear there too once it launches.

Windows 8 users have been incensed about the lack of the traditional Start menu since the OS launched, but at least Microsoft is not too proud to take a step back and listen to its supporters.

"I think there's going to be a lot of happy people out there," Myerson said.

Free Windows, get your free Windows

Myerson also shared that Windows will be free to hardware makers to help facilitate the creation of a Windows-centric "internet of things."

"We really want to get this platform out there," Myerson said. "We want to remove all the friction between you and creating these devices - remove any hesitation you have to apply that creativity to creating new 'internet of things' devices."

In addition he said Windows is now free on phones and tablets under 9 inches in size.

Finally, just to make the live stream watchers jealous, Microsoft gave everyone in attendance during the opening keynote a free Xbox One and a $500 gift card to the Microsoft Store.

mf.gif
twitter.png facebook.png linkedin.png googleplus.png email.png

rc.img
rc.img
rc.img

a2.imga2t.imgfFGWpHTiO6k

Skip to the end Joe;)

As I got Win8.1 installed and coming from WP8 phone, the Windows Live(or however the introducing screen in Win8.1 is called) didn´t bother me so much. Coming from WP8 where everything works on touchscreen and seems natural, the desktop version seemed nice also. Only thing is the ease of use. I wonder if it was really hard to introduce some key combination to scroll between main desktop and Applications desktop or at least make the damn arrow button a bit wider, better if it was made as a huge button so wherever in lower part of screen I would swipe my mouse over it would take me to the app desktop and vice versa. Or Windows button + mousewheel up\down would shuffle between desktops and the experience would have been much better. Also if its somewhere in settings, then the settings part is pain in the .... also. Can´t change how Skype is displayed and all other settings are minimal also. And the freezes: apps(programs called nowadays?) just freezing, can´t be closed etc. And no, its not my PC, Win7 worked smoothly.

From the good side seems like multicore support is better and I like the built in zipper\unzipper. And oh well, using my desktop anyways, so lets hope Win 9 comes out after some actual testing on desktops.

Love the WP8 though and waiting for WP8.1 upgrade, at least in mobile market MS is making some improveants.