A Star Wars flub I found yesterday

Ol Smoke

I haven't seen Star Wars in a long time, so yesterday I watched all of them in a row.  I found one thing that really stood out as a flub.

Now remember that this is 1977 thru 1985 for the original ones and that is the ones that have the error.

In these movies, the Millennium Falcon was the fastest ship in the verse. It could go .5 past light speed, which is 879,000 miles a second.

In the movie they talk about going from one solar system to the other in their galaxy as if it was just a trip to the store.  In reality though,

not even close.

It takes 4.2 light years to get to Alpha Centaury at the speed of light.  So when Luke takes off for Dagabah System in a tie fighter, without 

food or water in the cabin with him, that is a funny flub.  Today, after all the space films and such we know that space travel would be a

horrendously long trip.  Even with warp travel.

One other thing to remember.  When you travel at light speed, the place you left is getting older much faster than you.  I guess that's why

all the actors looked so old when they made Return of the Jedi.  Or maybe it was the cocaine.  I don't know.

Just wanted to put that out there.

• Leader

I didn't notice that, but googling around, it looks like we were not the first to notice such flubs.

I had more trouble with the sounds from space-fighting and the fighting styles of the spacecraft, but this would have helped the audiences' comprehension as the action would seem familar from WW2 movies.

I read the "Hard SF" of Asimov's and Analog, where stories usually don't have such errors.