BSOD

EmtHipple

:cry  after I waited for a month to get my laptop screen and after I installed it I got maybe 72 hours of use and this morning after I let the laptop run its auto updates I wake up to find the blue screen of death looking at me. So I attempted to restart and I wanted to do a know good point restart but it would not boot to home screen , instead I had to go though the safe mode and I ended up getting a error message that flashed for a second then the screen went black. Now the only thing it will do is show the start up splash image and after about a min a message that says" a disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" after trying to restart several times to no avail, I am coming to you in hopes someone can help me get up and running again if just enough to get my info off the drive, I will by a new drive if I must but would rather safe this one. PS the drive is running I can hear it and the drive light is lit 

Compac Presario CQ60-418DX

Athlonx2 64

nividia graphics

:help

Hmm doesn't sound too good. Can you boot into Safe Mode w/ Comand Prompt and do a chkdsk /r

Edit: Also, alot of newer computers have hard drive test, usually in the BIOS options. I would recommend running that if available.

Edited by UAdave

Use a Live CD/USB of Ubuntu or any distro of Linux, but I recommend Ubuntu cuz it's easy to use.

Download from here and use this software to do your USB booteable, if you dont know how to make your Laptop boot from your USB, ask us.

After you have running Ubuntu from your USB read this.

Anything else, we're to help.

:D

• Like 1

:help I maybe in over my head here, I have been a windowsaholic forever and it has done all the techy stuff for me. I need someone to break it down for me, I went to the sites you posted and Im more confused now than before. 1 how can I download a program to a unit that wont even boot, 2 I run vista( i know :embrass ) and I didnt see it in the list of os in rufus 3I dont have a boot disk for my unit didnt come with one and I neglected tomake one, is there a way to make one with another vista unit ?

Download from here Windows Vista Recovery for 64 bits or here for x86 (32bit most common), after download this you will need burn it into a cd, and boot your laptop from your CD, it will repair your OS or at least will try to fix it, I recommend you this software to burn your ISO, is free, easy, light and fast.

Any doubt?

Well try with 64, if it doesnt work, use 32., Use a CD-RW, and you can use the same CD to burn the other iso.

2.41am Im gonna watch a movie and sleep, anything else I'll check it later.

Luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Most likely one of your system drives was corrupted during the update/install. If you go to your bios you can choose not for the computer to restart after BSOD - this way you can see what the error is. Once you know that search on the web for advice.

Although, if you are getting disk read errors either the disk volume could be corrupted OR your HDD is failing............

thanks for the input Death, but I already have a new hdd and am up and running. I am still hoping to try and extract some of the data from the old one but I'm not willing to pay someone to do it 

Most likely one of your system drives was corrupted during the update/install. If you go to your bios you can choose not for the computer to restart after BSOD - this way you can see what the error is. Once you know that search on the web for advice.

This is done in Windows and not in Bios.