Video Card Driver

Chameleon

I have a Radeon hd 7660d 4 gig video card.. I was looking on the drivers page and noticed an updated beta driver from March 19th.. Is it worth my time to try it out, or would it end up being problematic?  Thanks in advance   :D

its a beta. Just wait for a stable version to come out. Some beta versions are not good there basicly for testing. but sometimes it doesnt hurt :) 

• Like 1

meh for that 'videocard' ,7660d isn't a videocard actually:It's a gpu in the cpu :being correct face:, it's not even necessary to update the drivers. Unless you have specific problems.

Running beta driver will almost never cause problems though, the beta drivers tend to be stable as is. Just not yet WHQL certified.

=> of course it's always a small risk you take, I do always run beta drivers though

but like I said, with that graphics I wouldn't even bother :P

• Like 1

meh for that 'videocard' ,7660d isn't a videocard actually:It's a gpu in the cpu :being correct face:, it's not even necessary to update the drivers. Unless you have specific problems.

Running beta driver will almost never cause problems though, the beta drivers tend to be stable as is. Just not yet WHQL certified.

=> of course it's always a small risk you take, I do always run beta drivers though

but like I said, with that graphics I wouldn't even bother :P

Yeah I knew it was a built in with the processor kinda deal, which is actually one of the reasons I asked the question hehe, I probably shoulda mentioned that lol.. I am a dork when it comes to this stuff though, I feel like I am just now starting to learn with your guys help haha  :D

Well I used the the Driver Detect gizmo DJ linked me to and installed the newest driver, it was even different than the one on the page, but it installed without a hiccup.. Time to test it out I guess hehe

Just read the patch notes.

If you have bad fps in a game that's listed there then update to the beta driver if the notes say that the update will increase perfromance for that game,

If you don't have any fps problems then just wait for the stable release.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-3WINBetaDriver.aspx

• Improve performance in Sim City 5 up to 16 percent
  • Improves performance in Far Cry 3 up to 5 percent
  • Improves latency performance issues seen in Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution
  • Resolves slight corruption seen in Tomb Raider with TressFX enabled for CrossFire and single GPU configurations
Edited by jaie
  • Like 1

Well I don't know what it all does, but there was a new tab to click in my video properties with lost of options and I just went crazy with them hahaha.. I really like the control center, didn't have that before.. It's neat..

Thanks guys you all are awesome! I feel like a moron asking all these questions hehehe

Nope, those performance increases won't make the difference overall. The graphics is too weak to run those games @ higher fps (30 might be possible)

the latency is a problem like I mentioned worth updating for.

Stable releases are (in my experience) often just the same driver with a WHQL certificate. Literally just a version number change, no download what so ever.

I stick with the point: updating is only 'useful' when having problems, but updating isn't wrong either. If you are gaming on a rig, it might be handy to keep the drivers updated (beta drivers or not, doesn't matter in my experience with AMD and Nvidia).

Hell, I had rigs (AMD and Nvidia) in the past where I HAD to install the beta driver to get it stable :P

Edited by DrJoske
  • Like 1

I believe there was a time where the beta driver didn't support older games, and people started having graphics problems in et and had to rollback their drivers. (Though it may have been a 1 off)

• Like 1

Hahaha that is good to know DrJoske.. I haven't had any problems with my PC, so far every game I have gotten recently will run maxed out at a really high frame rate.. What got me started was one of my employees today was talking about updating drivers and all this other stuff, so I kinda got the itch to check it all out lol, but the whole beta thing threw me for a loop, but I do like to tweak things so I thought maybe it was worth a try hehe :D