Windows XP and IE8 lockups...

Ol Smoke

I have been noticing lately that IE8 and my WIndows XP are locking up on the internet quite frequently anymore.

I will go to a website and be going through some pages and then it is locked up. When I click on the closure button the task box comes up telling

me that IE is experiencing a problem with the webpage I am on and had to shutdown. But then a box comes up with "this program has stopped and

is not responding..." so then I have to do the c-a-d thing and tell it to close the program.

I have noticed this more so on websites that are featuring video ads running, multiple ad pages going and just a lot of stuff in the background. The

other thing I have noticed is that if I click to fast to get to a page, through several pages, it will lock up for sure. Now I have tried a lot of workarounds

but nothing is really helping. I disabled my anti-virus (Bit Defender 2011) and that did not help.

So I am asking my buddies here on =F|A= forums to check around and see if anyone else experiences this problem. I contacted some friends of mine

who are running XP and IE8 and they are having the same problem. I searched Google and found references to this problem but no real fixes. Several

said it was an update that came through IE8 and it caused this problem for them. When they tried to back out the update the program stopped all

together, and they had to reload IE8 fully with the upgrade to get it to work. They seem to think it is a way for Microsoft to push us into Windows 7.

Microsoft is not helping with this matter. They just say to upgrade to W7.

You guys find this happening to your XP system?

May want to try this, an automated fix program from MS to fix common issues: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie_performance_and_safety

You may also want to give No-Addons mode a try to see if the issue persists. If it fixes it, it's basically trial and error to find the bad one(s). I'm on my Mac now but I think the path is Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > IE No Addons.

Now, I'm curious...

Why are you using IE...

Sorry, to derail your question completely...

I could test if for you on the only pc here with xp on it, but that would force me to use IE.

That would probably drive me nuts, but will ask others using that pc (although I'm pretty sure they all use Firefox) if they got similar problems.

May want to try this, an automated fix program from MS to fix common issues: http://support.micro...ance_and_safety

You may also want to give No-Addons mode a try to see if the issue persists. If it fixes it, it's basically trial and error to find the bad one(s). I'm on my Mac now but I think the path is Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > IE No Addons.

Yeah, I did that. Didn't help.

Why do I use IE? I have always used it. I have tried some of the others but I don't like them. I tried Firefox a while back. But now, IE8 is so imbedded in XP I think I would have more problems.

I will find this problem. Thanks fellas.

Now, I'm curious...

Why are you using IE...

Sorry, to derail your question completely...

I could test if for you on the only pc here with xp on it, but that would force me to use IE.

That would probably drive me nuts, but will ask others using that pc (although I'm pretty sure they all use Firefox) if they got similar problems.

Why someone is still using XP is a more interesting question, that's over 11 years old now and basically unsupported since the release of W7. IE8/9/10 work perfectly normal, except for some sites. But that same holds similarly for FF/Opera (yes, both installed as well for if the website is crappy, to check under which version it isn't.)

Why someone is still using XP is a more interesting question, that's over 11 years old now and basically unsupported since the release of W7. IE8/9/10 work perfectly normal, except for some sites. But that same holds similarly for FF/Opera (yes, both installed as well for if the website is crappy, to check under which version it isn't.)

Why would somebody consider to switch...

My mom still uses win XP although everybody in the house switched to win 7 (and I switched partially to win8)

I'm talking about html5 and css3 support...

Why would anyone consider to switch? Because you're talking about support and XP doesn't have it. Yes you can upgrade the browser, and that may be a perfect solution in some cases (i.e., when you only use the browser), but for the rest XP has lived a long good life but should have been buried with the release of W7 SP1.

Why would anyone consider to switch? Because you're talking about support and XP doesn't have it. Yes you can upgrade the browser, and that may be a perfect solution in some cases (i.e., when you only use the browser), but for the rest XP has lived a long good life but should have been buried with the release of W7 SP1.

Lol had to do my exam so I kind of rushed my answer...

But if you only browse, what's the reason you should switch os.

Any new pc I put win7 on, totally agree on that one (my mom will be on win7 soon btw :P)

But for people who only use their pc to browse, hell why would they change OS. It's always adapting again (although the step isn't that big)

Security might be a reason or not... Microsoft still got support for security risks on Windows XP and other support you just don't need.

The number of people I know who only browse are limited, although they indeed exists. And yes, in theory there is no reason to upgrade, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Yet "security risks" are minimized under W7, even for browsing. In performance if you don't have a pentium 2 you won't notice a lot of speed difference, some parts are even faster imho. And, of course, if you're gaming (as topic starter), XP supports less and less games these days.

I found the problem. Microsoft .net framework.

I removed all of the .NET framework and just got through surfing the web as fast as I could and not one lock up.

I cleaned the registry of all .net filing and then checked it out. It is running much faster now.

The .NET stuff was put in when I did an upgrade from microsoft in April 2012. It was shortly after that that I first

started noticing the problem.

I will post this to Technet so they can look at the problem.

Thanks fellas for trying to help.

• Like 1

Why someone still is using XP? im using XP cuz i just love it and i find it really stabil (spelling?). And maybe cuz im a cheep basterd that dont want to buy windows 7 ;)

Why not for XP? Lots of companies still use it and it has extended life support until 4/8/14 which is almost 13 years after its release. It has been Microsoft's best and most reliable OS to date.

Sweet, glad you could find the fix. Just out of curiousity, was it 3.5 or 4 that caused it?

Don't know, I removed the whole thing before I checked. But, if I had to guess, since it started about April 2012, it was the latest one I had on there which was 3.0 or 3.5.

When I did the registry cleaner, after removing it all, I had 68 errors in the registry, because the removal doesn't remove the tags in the registry.

More businesses in the USA run XP than Win7. XP servers are too reliable to just ashcan them. When Vista came out the businesses were given special costs to change

over to Vista. That was a multimillion dollar mistake for Microsoft. Vista server was a total disaster as was the personal version. So Microsoft removed the AI that tried to

run everything for you, put in a service pack of repairs and called it Windows 7. It's better, but still not as stable as XP. Plus, they removed all the user tools to repair the

OS.