Worldoftanks.com

Levi

Just found this. Downloading it now to see how good it is. Lots of good reviews. The first online completely free tank shooter. In search of the best free games to play since I play Wolfenstein all the time, and its one of the best completely free shooters I said let me find another shooter for free. Well then I found this an online tank shooter that's quite frankly amazing. It does take a gruesome amount of time downloading, but the gameplay, and maps, and tanks are amazing. If your looking for another great free game this is it.

- You enter in your e-mail. They send you a verification message. Click that, download the game client, and start shooting other people around the world behind any tank you want to use!

Computer requirements:

Minimum

-2ghz Processor.

-1gb ram.

-128mb+ Video Card.

Recomended

-3ghz processor.

-2gb ram.

-256mb+ Video Card.

inb4corey

Wasn't that game terrible 'pay2win'

I played the beta, somewhere in 2010-2011ish I think it was :P (at least i think it was that game)

Then I never touched it again :P, but I heard it was p2w (also heard they somehow fixed it though)

Argument straight from the WoT forums in September. Pretty much a P2W game.

I'll state this right off the bat - this is not a rant thread, because personally I've used gold rounds/camo/premium tanks myself. I'm interested in seeing the impact that real-life money makes on the playing field.

(NEW SECTION W/ #2 Revision)

What's Pay to Win? (PTW)

It's usually defined as acquiring an advantage with real money, that isn't reasonably obtainable by any other means. These advantages would give you an edge over other players in the given situation.

"As it mainly refers to 1 vs 1 engagements during an actual player vs player battle. You're paying to gain an advantage over individual players, not to win a match, and that is what PAY TO WIN, has always been." - Lumina

What Pay to Win Isn't:

Paying to win a match

Pay to win is a misleading name, maybe it should be changed?

So what could be considered pay to win in WoT?

1. Gold Shells: Arguably the greatest pay to win feature currently in the game. It provides a considerable bonus to shell penetration (roughly +50%), and therefore helps to achieve penetrating shots. Gold shells however do not absolutely guarantee a penetration, or even any damage. They do however offer different types of ammunition classification such as the HEAT or APCR. Overall these shells provide noticeable benefits on the field. In comparison, there are two equal players, but with one firing regular credit ammo - the one firing gold ammo will win. Regular use of gold shells in pub matches is fairly uncommon, because of the cost.

It's also noteworthy that artillery possesses gold rounds with increased splash, instead of penetration.

2. Gold Consumables: There are plenty of different consumables out there, which all modestly increase a player's performance. They're often very situational items, but may provide benefits superior to credit consumables throughout the game.

3. Premium Tanks: These tanks often are blessed with favorable matchmaking, which helps them grind credits and XP. Most of these tanks however are inferior to tanks within their own tier.The benefits are statistically noticeable however, and play a significant part in #6 listed later.

4. Camouflage: With 8.0, camouflage gives +5% camo rating! Yeah, it isn't a humongous advantage, but it's still there. Some people may argue that this isn't a PTW feature, strictly because it's possible to purchase with credits. This is true, however purchasing camo with credits (especially without a premium tank) is extremely cost ineffective.

5. Premium Account: This is one thing I actually don't consider PTW. While it does allow quicker progress through the game like premium tanks, it unlike premium tanks purely reflects your performance. What I mean by this is that the benefits from a premium account scale with how successful in battle you were. Playing a premium tank badly still makes credit earning possible on the other hand. However elite 3-player platoons can give a team an edge, but overall I'd say it's fairly an acute one.

6. XP-Conversion: I originally left this key point out - because I'm an idiot. Anyways, XP farmed from elited vehicles (especially premiums), allows one to skip stock tanks, or a tank all together. This is PTW mostly because a player without this option would be forced to play tanks, which are frankly sub-par.

How would I rate these in terms of increasing your play performance?

1. Gold Shells - 25%

2. Gold Consumables - 10%

3. Premium Tanks - 15-20%

4. Camouflage - 1-2%

5. Premium Acct - 0%

6. XP-Conversion - 25-40%

If I buy all of this, does that mean I'll win?

NO. Purchasing these item(s) strictly provide you with an edge over other players. A player utilizing some of these PTW features will come out on top over a similar player using non-PTW features. In a similar case, a bad player can and will often lose - even if using some PTW features. Ultimately the game rests upon player skill, but PTW features help tip the scales in your favor.

Day-to-day, PTW features often don't affect me, because the cost discourages many people. That doesn't mean they aren't used ever, and never affect a player's performance. The benefits are out there, I've listed many of them. Many people only utilize some of these features for things like clan wars or tank companies, which I find completely appropriate. That doesn't mean they aren't pay to win though.

Maybe it would be more fitting if this wasn't called PTW. Maybe something like "pay to gain an edge" would be more appropriate.

The People have Spoken!

With over 140 replies and 2400+ views in about a day - this is obviously a important topic. I've seen arguments go both ways, and I can in part tell this by the frequent reputation this OP gets. It goes -2 to +2 etc, all the time :P

Anyways, I would have to say the definition of pay to win, and how much things qualify as PTW is the most debated. What troubles me though is that I've given a proper, sensible definition already. To me there isn't much to argue there, but roughly 8 pages contest that.

On a side note, I believe it's worth thanking most of the people for having a relatively constructive structure while posting. ( compared to other forum standards, lol )

There is a lot to read and analyze here. I'm going to read through everything again and take notes. Then I'll post the arguments which are fairly dynamic.

Feel free to discuss, thanks for reading.

P.S. This isn't a thread to discuss if purchasing gold is good/bad or necessary. You can have your own reason for either case, however we are here to talk about features you can purchase with your gold.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/165344-how-much-of-wot-is-pay-to-win-revised-2/

inb4corey

Wasn't that game terrible 'pay2win'

I played the beta, somewhere in 2010-2011ish I think it was :P (at least i think it was that game)

Then I never touched it again :P, but I heard it was p2w (also heard they somehow fixed it though)

There are still somethings you can pay for, but now the game is a lot less demanding for pay2win then it was. Meaning you can get just as far free, just takes longer.

inb4corey

hahahahah -_-

Alright I play the game a lot *looks at xfire* 1286 hours :P So I have to chime in here

free to play, but hard to get to end tier tanks without spending a lot of time playing low tier tanks to earn money. Thus people purchase premium tanks to help earn credits.

As far as pay to win goes there are only two factors in the game that would help people "win" if you pay with real money as sin posted.

1. Gold Shells

2. Gold Consumables

Wargaming has recently changed the way to acquire gold shells. It used to be you had to use gold to get gold shells. So anyone investing in the game with real money were the only people that could buy them. NOW there is a way to buy gold shells using regular silver credits. Yes they are expensive, but it gives everyone the opportunity to use them. According to a recent video the company released there are only 0.4-0.7 gold shells used a game. So its not like a bunch of kids go around shooting these money shells. Gold shells help you, but it does not mean you automatically win. The teams consist of 15 people so if your team fails you can't win by yourself :)

Gold Consumables are still only purchasable with gold, but realistically I cannot imagine many people using these consumables in public matches. The factor these consumables have on the outcome of you killing the enemy tank are relatively low.

You can happily grind up your tanks without spending any money in the game, but it will take longer. A lot of people decide to stop around tier 8 (tier 10 is the max tank level) because once you get to tier 9 and 10 it becomes very expensive to run your tanks if you perform poorly in them. The main point of getting to tier 10 is to partake in clan battles (yes i do that) where you earn gold sitting on land on a map.