Chrome’s mobile market share gains on Android, stays flat on iOS

Corey

Chrome Mobile Market Share

Since being introduced in 2008, Google’s (GOOG) Chrome Web browser has continued to gain market share and even surpassed Internet Explorer in global usage earlier this year. Now, the Mountain View-based company is making an impact in the mobile browser market. Chrome for Android was released in February of this year and according to the latest numbers from Net Applications, the mobile browser now controls a 4.03% of the market. The number is even more impressive when you take into account the fact that Chrome is only available for devices running Android 4.0 or higher, a software version found on less than 30% of all Android smartphones and tablets.

Unfortunately Google hasn’t seen the same success with Chrome for iOS. While the browser quickly moved into the No.1 free app spot in Apple’s App Store shortly after it was released, Chrome for iOS only accounted for 0.01% of browser usage on the iPhone and iPad for the month of November.

Apple’s (AAPL) Safari browser continues to dominate the mobile market with a 61.5% share, while the default Android browser follows with a 26.1% share, a year-over-year increase from 16.4%. Google’s growth and the growth of Android have impacted the Opera Mini browser, which has fallen from a 20% usage share in November of 2011 to a 7% share in 2012.

Browsing from smartphones and tablets now accounts for 10.4% of the entire browsing market, however users still prefer traditional desktop and laptop computers, which account for 89.3% of all browsing.

b.gif?host=bgr.com&blog=36424464&post=22WzTdyexQ6w4

View the full article

I still use IE. Chrome is sooooooooooo resource hungry.

Rofl, using IE...

Got firefox open (buffering 3 youtube videos) with a total of 17 websites: using 700mb (icluding flash that is) memory.

My pc won't get slow, because of that ^^

IE on the other hand, well just no...

Rofl, using IE...

Got firefox open (buffering 3 youtube videos) with a total of 17 websites: using 700mb (icluding flash that is) memory.

My pc won't get slow, because of that ^^

IE on the other hand, well just no...

I dont get why people hate on IE so much, with the new developer console in it you can pretty much tweak anything you want in it.

Also 21 windows open, 2 youtube videos loading, and wmp in background. (840mb)

I dont get why people hate on IE so much, with the new developer console in it you can pretty much tweak anything you want in it.

Also 21 windows open, 2 youtube videos loading, and wmp in background. (840mb)

I grow a hate on internet explorer every since my first own website.

IE is/was a b*** when making websites.

I heard that IE10 improved some stuff, but I can't be bothered to switch to it (don't even have it on my pc XD).

The only time I would consider the switch is when

-the add-ons are up the standard like firefox/chrome (so I need at least: adblock, flashblock, ghostery and stylish or similar)

-I can add dictionaries (I often type in french, dutch and english so I need those)

-I can reskin the look of Internet Explorer (I need a dark theme for my eyes not being burned out)

-It's faster than firefox (should be the easiest to do, firefox isn't fast at all)

If that beats firefox in usability, I might consider the switch (I switched to chrome ones, didn't like it, switched back)

Please inform me if they already there in IE10...

Firefox/chrome/opera > internet explorer

I grow a hate on internet explorer every since my first own website.

IE is/was a b*** when making websites.

I heard that IE10 improved some stuff, but I can't be bothered to switch to it (don't even have it on my pc XD).

The only time I would consider the switch is when

-the add-ons are up the standard like firefox/chrome ✓

-I can add dictionaries

-I can reskin the look of Internet Explorer ✓

-It's faster than firefox ✓

If that beats firefox in usability, I might consider the switch (I switched to chrome ones, didn't like it, switched back)

Please inform me if they already there in IE10...

Firefox/chrome/opera > internet explorer

I have adblock, but it only blocks 250 ads per day being free, Internet Explorer is 2nd in speed next to google chrome, it comes with a non-clutter search bar at the top that you can change the color depending on your windows (computers) color scheme, As for dictionaries I have no idea. I'd say stay with Firefox since I don't know about doing all those.

I have adblock, but it only blocks 250 ads per day being free, Internet Explorer is 2nd in speed next to google chrome, it comes with a non-clutter search bar at the top that you can change the color depending on your windows (computers) color scheme, As for dictionaries I have no idea. I'd say stay with Firefox since I don't know about doing all those.

WTF, only 250 ads rofl.

And all the browsers got clutterfree bars at the top :P

Wondering about html5 support in IE10, probably a lot better .

Yeah, I won't change my browser and will keep declaring people using IE nuts for now => no offense.

WTF, only 250 ads rofl.

And all the browsers got clutterfree bars at the top :P

Wondering about html5 support in IE10, probably a lot better .

Yeah, I won't change my browser and will keep declaring people using IE nuts for now => no offense.

I thought when I Got IE it would already use HTML5, but i was wrong it was a bit of an assault trying to enable HTML5 for me really not to notice any difference.

I thought when I Got IE it would already use HTML5, but i was wrong it was a bit of an assault trying to enable HTML5 for me really not to notice any difference.

Well, only websites written in html 5/ css3 will use html5/css3 :P

Well, only websites written in html 5/ css3 will use html5/css3 :P

That's what I'm pointing out I have to enable it in each site, it doesn't work as a whole. Like i can't click run html5 on sites that use html5 i have to do it for each site. I dont notice any difference either.

That's what I'm pointing out I have to enable it in each site, it doesn't work as a whole. Like i can't click run html5 on sites that use html5 i have to do it for each site. I dont notice any difference either.

Of course not: that's the point.

A good web developer makes sure that the website looks the same on all browsers

This made it a pain in the ass to make websites work on Internet Explorer :@