Rumored PlayStation 4 development kit shows off killer specs, including up to 16GB of RAM, 256GB storage

Corey

Sony PlayStation 4 Specs Rumor

With gamers getting antsy for next-generation consoles, VG247 is reporting that development kits for Sony’s (SNE) PlayStation 4 (code-named “Orbis”) have already been sent out to developers. VG247′s sources claim there are four versions of the dev kit and the one just shipped out is a “modified PC” based on AMD’s (AMD) A10 APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) that combines a CPU and GPU on a single chip to run games in 1080p resolution at 60 frames per second in 3D without any slowdown. Dev kits are said to have between 8GB and 16GB of RAM, 256GB of storage (it’s not clear if that’s SSD or a hard drive), an optical drive for Blu-ray playback and all the standard inputs/outputs found on the PlayStation 3 including HDMI, Ethernet and Wi-Fi.

But before you fall off your seat, do remember that dev kits often have higher specs and more RAM for debugging purposes. The final product might be less powerful.

VG247′s report also says that the dev kits aren’t made in Japan (a first) and are designed with a UI that allows users to easily jump in and out of open games and applications and install updates in the background.

The PlayStation 4 will reportedly be “very affordable.” BGR exclusively reported in August that the PlayStation 4 would run games and video content at 4K resolution.

VG247 says it believes the PS4 will be announced before E3 2013.

b.gif?host=bgr.com&blog=36424464&post=18_Zy0Nx7GmgA

View the full article

At the least they could of put the newest version of the PS3 as the picture...

I was thinking about picking on up this black Friday (as I also did two years ago) comes with the 256GB newest PS3, an extra control, a video game and a couple over things for 250. Still might pick it up and sell it when the PS4 (if it does come out QE3) comes out.

Coming fall 2013 ...........

Concept pic

concept pic, I call bs if you don't put a sourcelink.

Because well I bet their are a billion of them out their

and nope, it won't be stronger than my pc. The amd a10 apu isn't strong at all.

Yes, I know they can optimize a lot for consoles and push the hardware to the limit, I'm well aware of that.

I also know they won't use a stock a10, but a modified one.

But maybe they put in another gpu, we will see (still pretty sure my pc will out perform it :P)

Also 16gig of ram. Well, it's a dev kit. So I assume for debugging and stuff. (8 gig still would be a huge upgrade though ^^)

Anyway, I'm not intrested in the console for the console (their is nothing a console can do that my pc can't do better).

I hope they release a powerful machine soon though, so we finally get rid of the current gen consoles holding back the pc.

Edited by DrJoske

its just for voting the best concept design

source

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/08/02/playstation-4-vote-on-the-best-designs

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/07/21/ps4-concept-design-love-it-or-hate-it

APU A10 Radeon HD 7970 direct x-11 4.2Ghz

1.5 TB HDD

HVD

Motion Sense

Optimized cooling

Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n wireless

not backwards compatible with PS3 games

compatible with PS*Vita

compatible with Remote Play

Gaikai Cloud Service

4K Upscaleing Bluray player

HDMI

Priced @ $ 350 prediction of 1 of 4

Well, it's not even sure if it will be called playstation 4.

Sony never talked about playstation 4 according to some articles I read, they kept talking about 'orbis' the codename for it.

+ In japanese 4 sounds like death.

hd7970 in the a10, that would be a huge change to that apu and of course you can expect some changes to the apu. It's only based on it :P

currently in the a10 you find gpu based on the vliw4-architecture (used in the hd6950 and hd6970)

They call it 7660d though, but that's because of the inclusion of the hardware video encoder. Which were added with the 7xxx serie

Source: dunno were I original read it, probably in some review of the a10 when they released :P

Edited by DrJoske