Apple exec explains why iPhone 5 doesn’t have NFC or wireless charging

Corey

iPhone 5 NFC Wireless Charging

Apple’s (AAPL) iPhone 5 is getting a lot of flak for being iterative, predictable and even disappointing to some. Everywhere we turn, we keep hearing the same story: Why doesn’t the iPhone 5 have a bigger screen, a larger battery, a higher megapixel camera and Near Field Communication (NFC)? AllThingsD caught up with Apple’s senior vice president of worldwide marketing, Phil Schiller, to get to the bottom of the so-called “missing features.”

On why the iPhone 5 doesn’t have NFC, Schiller told AllThingsD, “It’s not clear that NFC is the solution to any current problem” and “Passbook does the kinds of things customers need today.” Schiller has every right to call NFC a nascent feature that has yet to have a ubiquitous presence — just ask Google (GOOG) how its Google Wallet program is doing. (Hint: Not as well as Google had hoped.)

As for why Apple isn’t pursuing wireless charging the way Nokia (NOK) is with its Lumia 820 and 920 smartphones, Schiller said that wireless charging pads still need to be plugged into a wall and offer no real convenience over attaching a standard charging cable.

Read

yRghl2BKq7o

View the full article

Ah, I keep loving these discussions :P

Too dam funny to read the comments (on some tech sites) on articles either about android (samsung, htc, whatever) or Apple.

There are some serious fanbois out there, making me laugh everytime I read their comments...

Although I think the wireless charging explanation is kind of bullshit :P

As for wireless charging, Schiller notes that the wireless charging systems still have to be plugged into the wall, so it’s not clear how much convenience they add. The widely-adopted USB cord, meanwhile, can charge in wall outlets, computers and even on airplanes, he said.

Says USB cord is useful, uses their own cable (lighting connector) instead of micro usb => :facepalm: .

Edited by DrJoske

I agree, I don't see how the current wireless charging pads are worth it. The only reason to use the USB cable anymore is to charge the phone. You don't need the USB cable for syncing or even activating your phone. Everything is done wirelessly already (besides charging)