BIOS help.

Krayzie

Hey guys, I need to save a bios on a flash drive, but I cannot find an updated version. Ran a bios scan and got this from a website and got this:

BIOS Type: Unknown BIOS Date: April 16th 2009 BIOS ID: F.38-None BIOS OEM: F.38 Chipset: Intel 2A40 rev 9 SuperIO: Unknown Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard Motherboard: Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PC

Was told by computer genius dad that I need to reflash it on the girlfriends laptop. Any help on finding the most up to date BIOS and how to flash it on to this laptop?

Thanks!

Did you try the official website from hp?

I quick search it for the type and found the win flash download (the program to flash from withing windows, including the latest bios ) => http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3878189#N498

Not sure if correct version, I just used the info you gave :P

When you can boot windows, most of the time flashing the bios is just following the program. Otherwise it will be a bit harder to flash it.

ps Why do you need to flash it ^^

The computer wont save its BIOS settings. If you boot it it will tell you that it can't boot to hard disk. Every time you restart the computer you have to go into the bios and put the hard drive as the thing to boot to first. It is always random. Whether it be boot to USB, boot to C Drive, Boot to hard disk, boot to floppy. Etc. etc. etc. Talked to my dad about it and he said try reflashing the BIOS. Did the bios scan to figure out which one it was, and it gave me the information I gave you and that it needed an update, but didn't want to pay for the update nor did I trust the update from them.

/end_story

Hmm might need to replace cmos battery, Also you wont find a better Bios for your comp from anyone BUT, the manufacturer HP in this case.

First if you dont like hp change the cmos battery if that doesnt work I can only suggest getting if from HP

• Like 1

I was thinking CMOS battery as well. But those things last forever and the laptop is only 2 ± years old.

I would also suggest same thing, change the CMOS battery. Typically, old CMOS battery has a symptoms of always having a wrong BIOS date or computer date. If you cant find a replacement, try putting the CMOS batter under the sun during lunch time and put it back in and see. If all fails, temporarily borrow a CMOS battery to make sure its the fault, then buy a replacement somewhere.

What made me factot out the CMOS is the date and time are correct...

Bios time or windows time... (complete different things, because windows syncs to the internet)

I would first flash the bios, it's the easiest step :P

Although I also was thinking about the cmos battery.

It's a laptop if I'm correct, so flashing should be easier than changing that battery.

Bios time or windows time... (complete different things, because windows syncs to the internet)

I would first flash the bios, it's the easiest step :P

Although I also was thinking about the cmos battery.

It's a laptop if I'm correct, so flashing should be easier than changing that battery.

BIOS time is correct.

WIll try reflashing the BIOS sometime today if I get around to it.

So when you power on and enter the bios, the settings aren't saved but the time is correct? Have you tried changing the settings in the bios then save it and ctrl-alt-del to restart and straight back into the bios to see if the settings saved before you go as far as windows?